help me choose between iBook and PowerBook

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by johnpg:

<strong>After reading this thread I'd agree that the powerbook for $1919 is the way to go. However, I just bought the new 12.1" 800mhz iBook and it's really fantastic. I'm used to an 867Mhz Powermac G4 and at work a 1.4Ghz Dell with Win2k. I will admit that the Powermac IS faster, but they are a LOT closer in performance than I expected. The iBook is genuinely quite nice, very usuable and a great deal for the money.

One thing I can safely say, you won't be dissapointed with either machine. They're both fantastic products.

Cheers,

John</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I hope your right because I just ordered my 800 Mhz iBook with 640 megs of ram. I had it overnighted so it will be here tomorrow!!

• Reply 22 of 27
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    [quote]Originally posted by trailmaster308:

<strong>

Well I hope your right because I just ordered my 800 Mhz iBook with 640 megs of ram. I had it overnighted so it will be here tomorrow!!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

When you get it please let us know how it is performance wise. I am very interested in getting one as a second computer.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Although I would have to say that the small size of the iBook is a plus. It's a well put together small notebook. Just the G3 is a dog.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by Algol:

<strong>

When you get it please let us know how it is performance wise. I am very interested in getting one as a second computer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No problem. I am at work right now and am leaving at lunch to hopefully meet the Fed-Ex person. Currently its in transit to my house..man I can't wait. Will post as soon as I get it!!
  • Reply 25 of 27
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    As another prospective iBook/TiBook customer, I am also interested in how it performs.

I chased the FedEx van from the bus stop to my door when my G3 upgrade arrived . It was cool seeing it turn into my street knowing that there were Mac parts for me in transit.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Well I got my iBook yesterday and I posted what I think about it in another thread. I was always complaing about apple releasing a G3 in the ibook. My first mac was the 600 ibook with the 8mb video card. I complained the whole time..I MEAN THE WHOLE TIME. I couldn't stand it and would get absolutely pissed when someone with a 500 ibook running Jag would say.."uhh must be your computer, because mine is fast"...wrong answer buddy. I have fast computers. This 600 is not one of them. Then we got an iMac 800 with superdrive. Much much much better. Now I have the 800 ibook. And let me say, whoever said OSX needs a G4 really needs to pick on of these up. I love it. Absolutely love it. Its more respnsive than my iMac in my opinion. I haven't used the iMac since I got this thing. If you have any doubts...don't. Go try it out then you will see what I am saying..take it from someone who hated the 600 (because of speed) and loves the 800.

Now I don't use any of the graphic intensive apps like some people. I just use the terminal a lot for work. Email, iTunes, and surfing.

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: trailmaster308 ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 27
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I think the big deal with the 800 iBooks will be the full Quartz Extreme accelartion.