Apple HomePod manufacturer Inventec warns of limited quantities available at Dec. launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,134member
    DoctorQ said:
    Has anyone considered that the HomePod, besides being a Siri speaker, could double as a WiFi mesh station, Apple's answer to Eero. In fact, with the announced Bluetooth mesh standard, it could do BT too, sure to be helpful with HomeKit. Seems like the ATV4 should be able to do that also, with the correct firmware.
    That's DEFINITELY what I've been hoping for since they are apparently abandoning the airport extremes. 
    I keep beating on this particular not-dead horse, but there is still absolutely no evidence that Apple is 'abandoning' AirPort Extreme, or the other members of the AirPort product line. Many moons after the gnashing of teeth and doomsday reports over said supposed abandonment, the things are still in stock and available at virtually every Apple Store. Firmware updates are still being issued to support them. With the continued news of HomePods and HomeKit advancements, it would be nuts for Apple to abandon the heart of all that to crappy, ugly and insecure routers made by other manufacturers. A central selling point of HomeKit is that compliant devices in your home will be secure.  That, by 'abandoning' AirPort, all these things would necessarily be linked together by a non-Apple router simply makes no sense. If Apple does eventually announce a discontinuation of the AirPort line, it will be as a consequence of them announcing another router/networking device that will replace it.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    AppleZulu said:
    DoctorQ said:
    Has anyone considered that the HomePod, besides being a Siri speaker, could double as a WiFi mesh station, Apple's answer to Eero. In fact, with the announced Bluetooth mesh standard, it could do BT too, sure to be helpful with HomeKit. Seems like the ATV4 should be able to do that also, with the correct firmware.
    That's DEFINITELY what I've been hoping for since they are apparently abandoning the airport extremes. 
    I keep beating on this particular not-dead horse, but there is still absolutely no evidence that Apple is 'abandoning' AirPort Extreme, or the other members of the AirPort product line. Many moons after the gnashing of teeth and doomsday reports over said supposed abandonment, the things are still in stock and available at virtually every Apple Store. Firmware updates are still being issued to support them. With the continued news of HomePods and HomeKit advancements, it would be nuts for Apple to abandon the heart of all that to crappy, ugly and insecure routers made by other manufacturers. A central selling point of HomeKit is that compliant devices in your home will be secure.  That, by 'abandoning' AirPort, all these things would necessarily be linked together by a non-Apple router simply makes no sense. If Apple does eventually announce a discontinuation of the AirPort line, it will be as a consequence of them announcing another router/networking device that will replace it.
    I hope you are right