LTE Apple Watch will keep current form factor, be offered alongside standard versions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    The Airpods make you look more sophisticated.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    ac88ac88 Posts: 24member
    I hope they will offer an upgrade for existing watch owners. I bought the steel & sapprire 1.0. And why not offer a “green” upgrade option instead of owners having to toss, sell or give away the old model? Seems like something they could do in store easily?
    How is selling your AW not a green option? You're not selling it to a landfill.
    patchythepiratepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Yup, status quo (offer buyers the choice of LTE + WiFi, or WiFi only models). Made sense since LTE Apple Watch was 1st rumored. Personally, I don't need data plan for my AW, same for my iPad, so it will be nice to not have pay for the unused hardware. 
    The option of choice is always appreciated. However, I would rather pay to  have the LTE hardware built-in, such that even if I didn't activate it for daily use, I would still be able to call for emergency help if something happened.
    doozydozenAMcKinlay21pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,717member
    Been waiting for the new one. 

My original had the screen pop pop off on one side by itself while charging. 

With LTE  all the better so long as plans are cheap. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 25 of 33
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Same form factor,
    but thinner,
    and without the pill shaped button?

As a MacBook Pro and iPad user, I welcome the LTE Watch.

>:x
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Been waiting for the new one. 

My original had the screen pop pop off on one side by itself while charging. 

With LTE  all the better so long as plans are cheap. 
    Battery life and component cost/licensing are also huge considerations for adding LTE.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I first want to know if/what Verizon will charge for an LTE AW before deciding on getting it or the standard version.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 33
    I’m hoping that location services will be enabled via LTE in the new model, such that Find Friends can have the watch as the primary location designator. That is the only feature on my missing but desired feature list (yours may be entirely different), and I would love that feature to be available in time to buy one for my child for Christmas.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MisterKit said:
    I have been pretty tempted with version 1 and 2 but never took the plunge. It will be interesting to see the next iteration. It would be a real engineering feat if they add LTE and performance stays the same or gets even better. The thing is that my phone is always with me. I can't imagine leaving it behind when I walk or cycle. I just wonder who LTE would be the deciding factor for. I would want it to be an iPhone on my wrist but I can't imagine a web browser on a watch.
    I wonder that too. Most would never go outside without their phone in hand. An LTE watch might make phone calls but browsing the Internet on that tiny screen? Looking for a restaurant? Getting directions? Reading email? The nerd crowd has been screaming for this but I wonder who really needs it.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 30 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    stickista said:
    I'd like them to offer Sapphire glass with the aluminum body.
    Why?   That would raise the price.  That would add durability, but my original series is holding up amazingly well.  (Knock on wood!)
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Yes there are trade in options for the rest, but nothing for watch - why?
    I suspect because the Apple Watch, being to integrated, has limited repairability or ability to be refurbished.   When the haptic engine in mine failed, they just replaced the whole watch.
    watto_cobradws-2
  • Reply 32 of 33
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    If I have to buy another ground up data plan then NO for me.  I have data for phone and another for ipad PRO.  I am not going to spend $100/month on data.  If it can piggyback on one of my existing carriers even for a small fee, I am in.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 33
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    MisterKit said:
    I have been pretty tempted with version 1 and 2 but never took the plunge. It will be interesting to see the next iteration. It would be a real engineering feat if they add LTE and performance stays the same or gets even better. The thing is that my phone is always with me. I can't imagine leaving it behind when I walk or cycle. I just wonder who LTE would be the deciding factor for. I would want it to be an iPhone on my wrist but I can't imagine a web browser on a watch.
    Only the echo-chamber tech media bring up the 'watch as replacement for phone' meme (as a reason for why the AW is a flop).  It wasn't and isn't intended for that.  It is a "watch that does more".

As for who would want LTE connectivity - I would say anyone that:
    - Exercises outside but still wants some connectivity for communications, and do not want to lug around their (increasingly larger) iPhones
    - Exercises outside and would like to stream music...
    - Makes some short trips out and would rather not take all of their "stuff" with them, but again, want to stay connected...

Given those use cases, the AW wouldn't be using LTE that much over the course of a day, and so it is conceivable that the battery life impact over a day wouldn't be as much. It is also rumoured to be LTE only here (not the full protocol stack, so no mobile voice), so that would reduce the power requirements.

Will I buy one (vs. a new Series 3 without LTE) - probably not - I have a work phone so doubt I would be able to add on to my existing plan.  Without that constraint, it would depend on the price difference.  It adds some convenience, but has to justify the price.
    dws-2