Latest iOS 11 beta contains new Maps icon featuring Apple Park, updated App Store icon

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ylon said:
    dysamoria said:
    They've successfully removed all meaning from the app icon. I can't wait for this flat fad to effing die.
    I still turn on my old 3G just to admire the old UI design from time to time. I too curse this flat fad and am looking forward to a return to sanity.
    In no way do I miss the abhorrent and distracting skeuomorphic design elements that used to plague iOS.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 22 of 31
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    1) 'the heck they do to the App Store icon? The old one was smart and looked like it would take you somewhere creative. I love minimalism, but the new icon doesn't make any sense. I can't even tell what's its supposed to be. Some random rounded lines making the letter "A" ... ok. Would have been better to simply update the style of the old icon. 

2) the maps icon is both an improvement as well as a nice nod to the new digs. 

3) Overly complicated the clock. Doesn't really need the second hand. 
    edited August 2017 ireland
  • Reply 23 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    1) 'the heck they do to the App Store icon? The old one was smart and looked like it would take you somewhere creative. I love minimalism, but the new icon doesn't make any sense. I can't even tell what's its supposed to be. Some random rounded lines making the letter "A" ... ok. Would have been better to simply update the style of the old icon. 

I disagree with 3, and the second hand isn’t new. Agree with 1. But we’re dealing with a very stubborn company. Doubt they’ll change it back. They aren’t the best at designing app icons these days. Look at the state of Clips icon. It’s horrid.

In general I wouldn’t mind seeing them move back in the direction of skuamorphism. The new Notes and Contacts icons are some of the better icon redesigns they’ve did in a while and both are more sku than previously and are better off for it.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 24 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

iOS 10 clock has a second hand as well. Don't remember whether earlier versions did.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    robjn said:
    Bespoke is an odd choice for a site that doesn’t write in British english. Style aside, bespoke is intended to mean a custom good made for a person. Like a custom suit or custom kitchen cabinets. Not sure it’s a good fit for an internally designed custom font for use across massive user base.  :p

"Bespoke" is commonly used for anything that is custom made to meet special requirements or have a unique design. In this case the font is made by Apple for Apple and is more or less unique to Apple products. The font was specially designed for to be clean and easy to read on the small display of the Apple Watch - it had specific design requirements and a specific application - that makes it "bespoke". The user is quite limited, Apple didn't make it available to us all in Pages, it's intended for iOS and Application assets.
    Well I’m not British, but the definition here says a bespoke good is a singular item — a suit, a set of unique cabinets, etc. Seemingly not a strict synonym with “custom”, which is the word I believe they mean. Because while Apple is the single owner of the font, there are millions of identical copies of it on Apple devices everywhere. Unlike a custom made (bespoke) suit.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 26 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member

1) I believe it’s supposed to be a painters easel, which ties into the paint brush on old icon. 

3) It surely does need a second hand. That’s how we measure seconds, without having to open an app. 
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Yeah, the App Store icon was and is used as part of the XCode icon, and it was the old Mac OS X icon for apps that hadn't yet been assigned an icon. It was supposed to symbolize the process of building or designing something. But, it never really fit well as the icon for a store where you go to buy apps that could be for any imaginable purpose. I think the App Store icon is an improvement. I particularly like that they got rid of the circle around it. (Not shown above, but it's on the current iOS 10 icon.)
    doozydozen
  • Reply 28 of 31
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    mike1 said:

iOS 10 clock has a second hand as well. Don't remember whether earlier versions did.
    It certainly had a seconds hand at least back in 2012 (the earliest homescreen screenshot I have in my library).

Edit: in fact, since 2007 - long before the clock actually showed the current time. 

edited August 2017
  • Reply 29 of 31
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ireland said:

I disagree with 3, and the second hand isn’t new. Agree with 1. But we’re dealing with a very stubborn company. Doubt they’ll change it back. They aren’t the best at designing app icons these days. Look at the state of Clips icon. It’s horrid.

In general I wouldn’t mind seeing them move back in the direction of skuamorphism. The new Notes and Contacts icons are some of the better icon redesigns they’ve did in a while and both are more sku than previously and are better off for it.
    ah skeuomorphism, the term we all first  heard after Scott Forstall left the building. This includes Scott himself. 

edit:

Also used incorrectly:

http://www.themachinestarts.com/read/2012-11-how-we-started-calling-visual-metaphors-skeuomorphs-why-apple-design-debate-mess
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 30 of 31
    I've downloaded all of the versions of the beta so far, but it appears that when I go to the Settings menu, the update is downloading, but it is grayed out so it is actually not downloading. I uninstalled the beta profile, restarted the phone, and then reinstalled the beta profile. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    iOS11 can't come soon enough!