Apple Pay expands to 22 US banks, institutions in Russia, China and more

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple this week updated its Apple Pay availability website for the second time in August, noting additional support has rolled out in the service's domestic U.S. market, as well as in Australia, China, Hong Kong, Russia and the UK.

As usual, the U.S. Apple Pay additions are limited to smaller regional banks and credit unions, with 22 entries tacked on to Apple's rolling list of participating institutions.

Beyond the U.S., Australia's Latitude Financial Services and RACQ now support Apple's payments solution. In China, six institutions -- Beijing Rural Commercial Bank, Haikou Rural Commercial Bank, Jiangsu Jiangnan Rural Commercial Bank, Jiangsu Jiangyin Rural, Commercial Bank, Shengjing Bank, Yunnan Rural Credit Cooperatives -- flipped the switch on Apple, while Dahsing Bank in Hong Kong jumped on board with support for issued Mastercard and Visa credit cards.

Apple Pay went live for a number of Russian institutions this month, with Bank "Devon-Credit," Credit Union "Payment Center" Ltd. (Mastercard Prepaid cards), Khlynov, Kuban Credit, Levoberezhny, Primsotcbank and Sovcombank all coming on line within the past two weeks.

Finally, customers of UK's Cumberland Building Society can now take advantage of Apple's payments service.

A full list of U.S. additions:
  • Anstaff Bank
  • Bank of Milton
  • Bryn Mawr Trust
  • Credit Union ONE
  • EagleBank
  • Farmers & Merchants Union Bank
  • Farmers National Bank
  • First Bank and Trust Company
  • First Class American Credit Union
  • First National Bank (PA)
  • First National Bank of Crossett
  • First National Bank of Groton
  • Nascoga Federal Credit Union
  • Notre Dame Federal Credit Union
  • Peach State Federal Credit Union
  • Security Federal Bank
  • State Bank
  • Sutton Bank
  • VacationLand Federal Credit Union
  • Wauna Credit Union
  • Western Federal Credit Union
  • Westmoreland Community Federal Credit Union
Apple Pay has enjoyed a steady international expansion over the past few months, with additions arriving on a regular bimonthly basis.

After launching in the U.S. in 2014, Apple's payments product is now available in Australia, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland Taiwan and the U.K. Most recently, the service arrived in Italy in May.

When iOS 11 launches this fall, Apple plans to bolster Apple Pay's capabilities with Apple Pay Cash, a long-awaited feature that enables person-to-person fund transfers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Bought an iDevice switch directly from iDevices today. Tried to use Apple Pay at checkout and it failed twice, no reason given. (told me to double click the side button on my Watch both times). Simply reported the transaction failed and to try again. Had paid with Pay elsewhere earlier without issue. Switched to PayPal and the transaction went right through. Go figure. Pay still not ready for prime time as it will embarrass you at random.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lkrupp said:
    Bought an iDevice switch directly from iDevices today. Tried to use Apple Pay at checkout and it failed twice, no reason given. (told me to double click the side button on my Watch both times). Simply reported the transaction failed and to try again. Had paid with Pay elsewhere earlier without issue. Switched to PayPal and the transaction went right through. Go figure. Pay still not ready for prime time as it will embarrass you at random.
    Wait, was this online? I didn't realize it was possible to authorize online Pay payments via Apple Watch. How is that supposed to work?

PS: I've had an iDevices Switch for almost 2 years. For the first month it worked great and then went downhill rapidly. It constantly needed to be reset. Not a big issue for me but my wife hated it. Eventually a firmware update fixed whatever issue I was experiencing and for several months now it's been great again. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Thanks that now my 28 Degrees MasterCard is Apple Pay ready.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    lkrupp said:
    Wait, was this online? I didn't realize it was possible to authorize online Pay payments via Apple Watch. How is that supposed to work?

PS: I've had an iDevices Switch for almost 2 years. For the first month it worked great and then went downhill rapidly. It constantly needed to be reset. Not a big issue for me but my wife hated it. Eventually a firmware update fixed whatever issue I was experiencing and for several months now it's been great again. 
    Paying with Apple Pay online has been available for at least a year now. Many retail websites support it. You select Apple Pay as your payment method. If you have an Apple Watch your are notified to double click your watch’s side button and the transaction normally goes through. If you are not wearing your watch you are notified to use Touch ID to complete the transaction . I have been using it instead of PayPal where possible. 
  • Reply 5 of 6
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    lkrupp said:
    Sorry, don't blame Apple Pay for poor implementation by web site or retailer... I've used it on multiple sites with ZERO issues, and there is no embarrassment, please don't be so presumptuous.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 6
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    In Canada, Coast Capital Credit Unit also finally switched on Apple Pay, first credit union in the country to do so!