Apple silently kills off some colors for iPhone, iPad & Apple Watch accessories

Posted:
in iPhone
A variety of colors for official Apple accessories are reportedly vanishing from the company's online and retail stores, suggesting that it's phasing out some options, and/or allowing stocks to deplete before new devices arrive this fall.

In Japan, nine iPhone 7 cases, 18 iPad cases, and 13 iPad Smart Covers have disappeared, Macotakara said on Friday. Also gone are a number of Apple Watch options, include 12 sport bands, seven nylon bands, and some Nike and Hermes accessories.

The situation is less severe in countries like the U.S. and the U.K., but may still be indicative of a global trend.

Apple often scales back the color options for older accessories as new devices launch, choosing to shift focus. It's also possible however that some colors won't return in a new form if Apple considers them unprofitable.

The company is expected to launch at least four new devices this fall, led by the "iPhone 8", "iPhone 7s," and "iPhone 7s Plus." The fourth is a third-generation Apple Watch with LTE.

Apple released updated iPads earlier this year, and indeed some of the accessories gone in Japan were for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro and iPad mini 4. Three of them, however, were Smart Covers for this year's 10.5-inch Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    This isn't new. Apple has done this before, most noticeably with Watch bands. I was also very disappointed at the very limited Apple® selection of cases for the 10.5" iPad Pro.

I've got a mini and A2 with the Apple SmartCases (leather) and I like them a lot. I'd also like an Apple® silicone case for an indoor-only iPad, but no luck.

I'm not a fan of most third-party cases, and many choices are even more ephemeral that Apple's selection. I figure they're just trying to avoid having a lot of stock left over, but it still disappoints me.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 6
    macgui said:
    "indoor-only iPad"
    You Sir/Ma'am, fascinate me. 
    mike1AvieshekpeterhartSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 6
    in other words:
    Fall is coming. Now for this Fall/Winter collection we have a warm Brown tone case with the fitting Scottish Pleat in covered Reds ..... (Burberry is coming)
    it makes using you iPhone so much better /s
    peterhart
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    What an awesome time to be an Apple product fan!
    edited August 2017 SoundJudgmentdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macgui said:
    "indoor-only iPad"
    You Sir/Ma'am, fascinate me. 
    lol, we've an "indoor-only iPad" too. Never called it that but it typically is a back-up/spare iPad and used only when an iPhone or newer iPad is out of battery for example, but it never leaves the house and accordingly it doesn't have a protective case like the "outdoor" ones do :smile: 

I'd ideally wall-mount it and use it as a home-hub but it's a v1 mini so stuck on iOS9 unfortunately.

• Reply 6 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    And iMore's Rene Ritchie shed a tear upon hearing this news.