Photos show alleged display assembly, flex cables for Apple's 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Images published over the weekend are claimed to show an assortment of parts for Apple's "iPhone 8," including a display assembly, a Lightning connector, and associated flex cables.

The photos first appeared on Chinese social networking site Weibo, and suggest anticipated details like an edge-to-edge OLED display with a sensor "notch." Their authenticity is otherwise difficult to determine, but parts leaks have become relatively common whenever an iPhone enters production.

It's uncertain whether or not the "iPhone 8" is already in mass production. Typically Apple begins iPhone assembly by July to better satisfy demand, but problems with the "8's" OLED display could mean that full-scale output won't happen until mid-September -- around the same time as the company's usual fall press event. That could mean the phone will ship later in the season.

Two other products, the "iPhone 7s" and "7s Plus," should arrive in Apple's normal September launch window. Those devices are expected to use 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCDs, but include some features of the "8," such as wireless charging and a faster "A11" processor.

Many aspects of the "iPhone 8" are all but confirmed, in part because Apple's own HomePod firmware revealed the phone's general shape along with features like facial recognition. Still unknown is whether or not that technology will completely replace Touch ID.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "Photos show alleged display assembly, flex cables for Apple's 'iPhone 8'" 

... I just checked Photos, nothing there!  ;)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Please God - no white bezels.  I beg you - please...no white bezels.
    Metriacanthosaurus1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Still unknown is whether or not that technology will completely replace Touch ID.
    Saying this at this point is akin to denial.trashman69 said:
    Notice this one isn't white, and this is an actual leaked part. I'm 100% certain we won't see white. Why? Because this entire design hinges on using OLED black to complete the top. It is clear to me that it was designed from the ground up in this way. Just as it is clear to me that it was designed from the start without Touch ID.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    we won't see white bezels.

just as we don't see white bezels with the Watch.

this phone will be amazing.
    Not if it has Touch ID in the back. 
    Btw, I don't think side bezels are any thinner than the 7/7+. Anyone expected side bezels like Galaxy 8 will be disappointed. Apple doesn't want to deal with bendgate anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I don't think Apple will, because they just look awful!
    trashman69
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    1983 said:
    I don't think Apple will, because they just look awful!
    That hasn't stopped them from using them on iPhone and iPad for how many years now?  I agree.. I have long yearned for a silver ( aluminum ) backed phone with a black front.  White is so distracting and takes away from the sleekness of the phone. I have the matte black 7 plus, couldn't imagine owning one with white on the front.