Minus Touch ID, Apple's 'iPhone 8' may enter mass production in 'third week of September'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gilly33 said:
    All these analysts and their damn predictions. Not sure I'm cool with this device not having a fingerprint sensor imbedded in the screen. Hope all this conjecture is nothing more than just BS. 
    I can almost guarantee it's not going away. It would be the height of stupidity to eliminate one of THE most popular and secure methods available to phone owners.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    gilly33 said:
    All these analysts and their damn predictions. Not sure I'm cool with this device not having a fingerprint sensor imbedded in the screen. Hope all this conjecture is nothing more than just BS. 
    I can almost guarantee it's not going away. It would be the height of stupidity to eliminate one of THE most popular and secure methods available to phone owners.
    Well, in the same model year, Apple will have released the iPhone 7s, 7s plus, new SE and possibly more MacBook models with Touch ID...thus, quit it with the doom & gloom of Touch ID vanishing. ANNOYING! The 10th anniversary iPhone is all about the future. One day, believe it or not, Touch ID will be replaced across the lineup. Just not this year. Chill cowboy, no need to lose it now. You got time to plan a better freak out when the time comes. 
    edited August 2017 tmay
  • Reply 23 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    saarek said:
    If they shove the Touch ID to the back of the device I'll just keep my iPhone 6 for another year.

Facial recognition won't work in the dark.
    Ah didn’t realize you were an engineer at Apple. oh wait. you aren’t. you don’t know what you’re talking about...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30

gatorguy said:
    saarek said:
    If they shove the Touch ID to the back of the device I'll just keep my iPhone 6 for another year.

Don't be so sure. I believe it probably uses infrared at least in part according to what I've read. 
    You would need good sensor (way above military grade used in NV devices) to use infrared with detail . Are you ready to pay $2000-$4000 for iPhone? That is how much those sensors cost.
     Microsoft already released one that did this. So much for your expertise. 
    ronnwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 25 of 30
    gilly33 said:
    Unless what they have works just as good. Then there’s nothing stupid about it. 

I remember all the panicking with Touch ID. You guys are hilarious. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Baloney. Who wants to make a substantial bet this is completely bogus? Touch ID isn't going away.
    Touch ID might go away if there's something else in the phone that works as well or better to achieve the same purpose.   But if there isn't, then I also refuse to believe that Touch ID is going away, especially if the phone is as expensive as the rumors have stated.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    There's a faint tinge of hysteria here. If touch ID is going away it might in fact cause problems with the banks etc. And consumers who might feel a bit awkward about waving their phone about to buy the groceries. 

Also I think that it probably would be a failure by Apple - a failure to get touch ID working under the screen. 

Luckily there is more than one phone being offered this year and I am due for an upgrade. 

For me it will be the 7S ( or whatever that is called) if it has touchID or the 8 ( or whatever that is called) if it has touchID. 

And maybe that's some of the idea of a new more expensive model that Apple will expect to sell at a lower rate than the next lower  tier - they can be experimental.  
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Please, its in production. No touch ID has a no go problem. No T-ID, no go. I'll use my face for other things thank you vm.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    I don't suspect Touch ID is going anywhere. It's either under the screen or its in the power button. This is a rumor website. This isn't gospel until Apple announces it 
  • Reply 30 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    saarek said:

You should shoot Apple an email telling them it won't work in the dark. I'm sure during the years of development testing it in the dark is something they hadn't even thought about.