Apple Pay likely to get boost from Visa & Mastercard mandating contactless payment termina...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    mknelson said:
    Slower speeds of chip card transactions? Do you guys process them "weird" in the US?

Insert card, hit OK, enter PIN, done. Doesn't really take any more time than signing.
    And someone sees your PIN and then uses an RFID reader and slurps the card details. What then eh? They go on a spending spree on your card. None of my cards have RFID chips but I can still use Apple Pay.

It's not you that's out the money so whatever. Just went thru something similar with AMEX except that the credentials were stolen via an online transaction. Chinese thief using it. Nearly 8K in charges that Amex reversed within hours of the first charge and not a penny out of my pocket. 
    Did you use Alibaba or some such unadvisable thing?
  • Reply 42 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    mknelson said:
    Slower speeds of chip card transactions? Do you guys process them "weird" in the US?

Insert card, hit OK, enter PIN, done. Doesn't really take any more time than signing.
    And someone sees your PIN and then uses an RFID reader and slurps the card details. What then eh? They go on a spending spree on your card. None of my cards have RFID chips but I can still use Apple Pay.

It's not you that's out the money so whatever. Just went thru something similar with AMEX except that the credentials were stolen via an online transaction. Chinese thief using it. Nearly 8K in charges that Amex reversed within hours of the first charge and not a penny out of my pocket. 
    Nope. No idea really how it was done, but tracking the charges before AMEX fixed it they all went back to the same Chinese scam-seller, someone I had never heard of and certainly not directly dealt with. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 43 of 46
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:
    joogabah said:
    mknelson said:

In the USA, you don't enter a PIN (I know, it's stupid).  You insert the card and wait 15 to 20 seconds (which feel like an eternity standing in line with people waiting behind you) until the terminal sounds a loud, sometimes startling series of beeps to indicate you should remove your card.  

I hate the whole chip and pin idea, who's stupid idea was that. I remember when Apple Pay came out all the people from EU said it was not needed since the problem (theft) was solved with chip and pin. Every chance I get I use Apple pay it is a 2 second thing and those who have it set up correctly it does not even required a signature. I travel outside the US where Chip and Pin is required with the CC and it is a pain and take longer and a few times I almost left the card in a Gas Pump. Most stores and restaurants will make sure you do not leave the card behind since it happens all the time. One time I could not remember the PIN on the company card and you enter it wrong a few times and they lock the card on you, what royal pain.

Apple pay is the perfect example of how to fix a problem the right way verse all the other bad solutions other has come up with. Apple was the only one who could have fixed this since they control the hardware and software. The Banks trusted what they were doing.

I am still seeing lots of locations which the new POS terminals but they do not accept the chip and pin or apple pay, they have it disable, This is good think for Samsung pay which they can still emulate the mag-strip.

How does one "have it set up correctly it does not even require a signature"?  I am asked to sign whenever the amount goes over the merchant's threshold for requiring a signature.  Only smaller transactions are signature-free.
    I go in to Panera all the time and they never ask me to sign, and I spend $10 or $35 there and they never ask, I have been told transactions under $25 are not required as you pointed out and this does not matter the transaction type. I also been to other places and it never ask for a signature no mater what I spend, whether on paper or on the POS. I have been told when the POS is set up they can set it up so when Apple Pay is used it does not required a signature. I also been to place that require signature no matter what the spend amount is. I was in Reno and went to a gas station which took apple pay at the pump, which as a surprise, but it did not require a signature just like any CC transaction at the pump. It is all in how the merchant set it up.
    In Canada, contactless payments allow transactions under $100 - just tap and away you go (Apple Pay, Android Pay, or via traditional cards with NFC).  Above $100 you have to insert card with Chip+PIN.  However, this process isn't too long - maybe 10 seconds total.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    pvanallen said:
    The internet speed for these terminals in the US must be crap.
    No, the US and Europe systems are different, and use different technology. US = Chip and Signature, EU = Chip and PIN. http://www.mytotalretail.com/post/u-s-vs-europe-taking-retail-technology/ It's dumb, but there it is. Contactless will take over in the long run. Love my Apple Watch for that.
    The technology is exactly the same, EMV. It allows for PIN and signatures. When the technology was rolled out in Europe a lot of banks let users decide which one to use. I could change the method at a cash machine of my bank. Over time, the banks began phasing the signature option out and now, in my case, I have to use a PIN even though the card is technically capable of validating via signature. The bank has eliminated the option to activate it. Strangely my bank's software still let's bank workers select the signature option. It simply doesn't stick and reverts back to PIN.

EDIT: Sorry Chia, I just saw your post.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 45 of 46
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    mknelson said:

Nope. No idea really how it was done, but tracking the charges before AMEX fixed it they all went back to the same Chinese scam-seller, someone I had never heard of and certainly not directly dealt with. 
    I don't know how people get your card details. A few months ago, I kept getting notifications from my credit card for Uber charges. I don't use Uber. It was so weird because I was getting a notification from my CC every 10 minutes or so for a random new charge from Uber. After about an hour, the credit card company shut my card down for fraud. The strange thing is that credit card I rarely use. I've never used to it purchase anything online. I have no clue how someone was able to get my credit card number. If your cc allows it, its always a great idea to set it up so you receive notifications every time the card is used. 
  • Reply 46 of 46
    The process is longer in the U.S. a lot of times due to all the added questions at the terminal such as “Would you like cash back?” “Do you want to donate to this charity?” “Is this amount correct?”. Some ask you to pick a language and others will ask if it’s credit or debit.  Every terminal is different too so you may be standing around while the machine is waiting for your input because you’re used to the way another retailer’s setup works.