Leak shows alleged logic boards for Apple's 'iPhone 7s'

Posted:
in iPhone
A new photo purports to show logic boards intended for Apple's "iPhone 7s," a product that has seen far fewer leaks than the company's flagship "iPhone 8."

The boards -- shared by well-known leak source Benjamin Geskin -- resemble designs Apple has used in the past. There are no immediate clues that they're for the "iPhone 7s," though Geskin observed that markings where the processor would be match the back of a supposed "A11" processor recently leaked by GeekBar.

Apple is likely in full-scale production of the "iPhone 7s," as well as a "7s Plus." The phones are expected to have 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCDs, like the iPhone 7 line, but include some enhancements from the "iPhone 8," such as the "A11" and wireless charging.

The "8" should differ with an edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED screen, and 3D facial recognition replacing Touch ID, since Apple has also swapped a physical home button with a virtual control area. The company was at one point rumored to have tried embedding Touch ID into the display, but appears to have been unsuccessful.

Indeed the phone may not go into mass production until mid-September. If Apple launches all three phones the same month, that could mean that while the "7s" and "7s Plus" will be widely available, the "8" will be extremely scarce, likely through the rest of the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    OMG how many stories and news items do we have to read about this 'super hipped iPhone 8'?
    And guess what....after the September event we all go out for the 'next big thing' the iPhone 9!
    Crazy all this creed for always new!

it seems we find no more the 'convience' of using our own devices....

i guess it's the sign of the times....restless...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    elfig2012 said:
    OMG how many stories and news items do we have to read about this 'super hipped iPhone 8'?
    And guess what....after the September event we all go out for the 'next big thing' the iPhone 9!

Actually, after the new iPhone is announced we'll all be bitching and whining about how Apple didn't do this or they were supposed to do that like every rumor is true. I can't wait to hear the amount of endless bitching if the fingerprint reader is on the back of the phone. I'm guessing more than when they removed the headphone jack. It will be a couple of months of endless whining and Tim needs to be fired, if Steve were here this wouldn't have happened, etc....but in the end, most will buy the damn thing anyways and use it just like what happened with the iPhone 7 and the lack of a headphone jack. 
    chabigdoozydozenfastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    elfig2012 said:

i guess it's the sign of the times....restless…
    1) As @macxpress states, first there will be bitching about what they didn't do and expectations not met.

2) Will the next model be iPhone 9? It seems like this year is the 7S series—as normal—and the 8 series—because of the 10th anniversary. We may see them jump whole numbers every year, but so far the pattern is to skip a year between cardinal numbers. One argument for the iPhone 9 coming out  next year, the iPhone 10 the next, and so on, could be do to the number of iPhone units they need to produce in a given year. By creating a higher-tier that tries new technologies, they could help reduce pressure on the xS series of a given year by those that want the bleeding edge model, but this only works if they have enough parallel lines of production so that they don't have to stop and rejigger an assembly line process periodically for the new device. With that hypothetical, we could see an xS series every year with new components but the previous design of the highest-end model and then a new design with just the cardinal number, but, to me, that seems like even more of an undertaking then their current system, so I'd say that's an unlikely outcome.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 8
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I think because all the phones are getting a chassis change and wireless charging there will be no S model

thinking it will either be -

iphone, iPhone plus and iPhone pro
    or
    iphone 8, iPhone 8 plus and iPhone 8 pro

doozydozenfastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    How will this be cut? It seems like the branch is far too wide to fit into a current iPhone unless the A11 is far more compact than previous A-series chips.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well I'm not going to buy it if the logic board looks like THAT!

Followed by some nonsense about how logic boards were prettier in Steve's day…

Solijbdragonstompyfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    This is just lame, it's all meaningless garbage.
    elfig2012 said:

All you have to do is not click on them and then it doesn't matter how many stories. You don't have to see any of them. It's the same thing every year. Why are now surprised?
    Soli
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    virtua said:
    I think because all the phones are getting a chassis change and wireless charging there will be no S model

thinking it will either be -

iphone, iPhone plus and iPhone pro
    or
    iphone 8, iPhone 8 plus and iPhone 8 pro

Well I can tell you right now, Apple is not going to do something dumb like calling the iPhones the iPhone 7S, 7s Plus and iPhone 8. because now you;ve just said right off the bat that the 7s and 7s Plus are outdated to the iphone 8.

So my guess is Apple will do away with the numbers has they have with other devices. There's no longer any numbers for the iPads any longer. So I'm going to assume Apple will just call it, iPhone, iPhone Plus, and iPhone Pro. Possibly a iPhone SE and that's it. If fact there's already no number with the SE versions of that phone. These will be the 2017 models. Next year the 2018 models. I just ordered a couple days ago a iPad Pro 12.9". Apple is not calling it the iPad Pro 2 12.9" Even though that is what it is. It's the 2017 model. This whole iPhone 8 name thing is just DUMB!
    edited August 2017 fastasleep