• Reply 21 of 39
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    God, that is ugly 
    macky the mackywatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Rayz2016 said:

AppleInsider said:
    That may give the platform a slight edge over Apple Pay, which requires that retailers be specifically compatible.

I'm not sure this is correct. I don't have any trouble getting my Apple Watch working with any NFC terminal.  Did you mean that the issuing bank has to support Apple Pay?
    You haven't tried to use Apple Pay at a CVS have you? Many major retailers do not accept Apple Pay, where they do take other contactless payment methods.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    I still think that Google should have bought Jawbone. Now I believe that they should buy FitBit when FitBit goes out of business 2 years from now. Smartwatches are another avenue in the AI assistant wars between Siri, Google Assistant, Alexa and Cortana, and it is also one that Alexa and Cortana cannot compete in because neither sells phones. If Google is smart, they would do this. But then again, since they locked themselves out of China, gave up on the tablet market to focus on Chrome OS, and gave up on the set top box market to focus on Chromecast, have utterly failed to become a competitor in enterprise cloud despite having a huge lead on Microsoft, have utterly failed to make Google Docs a viable education/enterprise product despite - again - a huge lead on Microsoft etc. we know that other than getting lucky with Android and YouTube, Google isn't very smart. Oh yeah, and almost forgot ... their failed purchase of Motorola. And their hiring the CEO of failed Motorola to run their hardware division rather than hiring an executive from a successful hardware company like Apple, Samsung or even Huawei. Ah well ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    zroger73 said:
    I like the design. I like the battery life. I like the incredible water resistance. I like the blood oxygen sensor.

It makes the Apple Watch look dated. Apple have some work to do.
    Uh, how does this make the Apple Watch look dated?  Apple Watch design is better as it’s an attractive timepiece for all occassioms.... not just some very obvious fitness watch that looks like a modern Timex.  Battery life?  I can get 3-4 days out of mine depending on how it’s used.  Close enough considering how much more capable an Apple Watch is... not to mention I just drop it on the charger when I go to bed every day anyway.  Water resistance? Check, got that a year ago with the series 2.  Blood oxygen sensor is nice, but barely useful. There is a good possibility that will also be coming to the series 3 in Sept.

Beyond that you’ve failed to consider the monumental advantage the Apple Watch OS has over Fitbit in terms of overall function/capability... Not to mention not needing to pay a monthly/annual fee for the fitness tracking/app.  In fact, WatchOS 4 coming in the next 2-3 weeks has really upped its game big time with the fitness app/tracking.  I’ve been running it for a while, and it’s quite an impressive update. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Rayz2016 said:
    Mmm. Seems the Apple Watch Series2 has blood oxygen sensors, but they're not being used. What's that about?
    This is correct, but they’ve had difficulty with accuracy. Apple won’t fire it up until they can make it sufficiently accurate.
    chiawatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 26 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    red oak said:
    God, that is ugly 
    No doubt. Look at this thing:

watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 27 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

mac_128 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AppleInsider said:
    That may give the platform a slight edge over Apple Pay, which requires that retailers be specifically compatible.

I'm not sure this is correct. I don't have any trouble getting my Apple Watch working with any NFC terminal.  Did you mean that the issuing bank has to support Apple Pay?
    You haven't tried to use Apple Pay at a CVS have you? Many major retailers do not accept Apple Pay, where they do take other contactless payment methods.
    CVS is the only one I'm aware of that has specifically blocked AP on their NFC terminal. I believe they were part of the CurrenC train wreck and are too incompetent to remedy the situation. What are the others you mention?
    chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The blood oxygen sensor and especially that 4 day battery life, despite the use of a bright 1000-nit screen (how did they manage that?) is impressive! If Fitbit can incorporate a blood oxygen sensor in their smartwatch, I think there might be a strong possibility that Apple will do the same with its upcoming series 3.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member

mac_128 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AppleInsider said:

CVS is the only one I'm aware of that has specifically blocked AP on their NFC terminal. I believe they were part of the CurrenC train wreck and are too incompetent to remedy the situation. What are the others you mention?
    Home Depot did too. I used AP at Home Depot for a while and then  they found out it work there and Home Depot  block it completely on purpose 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 39
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    mac_128 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AppleInsider said:

When Apple Pay debuted in Canada, it worked out of the gate on almost all of the NFC contactless terminals without any configuration changes.  Most merchants (well, the employees) I tried it out on were not aware of AP. I am sure there is a configuration for the tokenization method to work, but not aware of anything specific to Apple's implementation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    red oak said:
    God, that is ugly 
    Agreed... as ugly as a beaded moccasin...
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    1983 said:
    The blood oxygen sensor and especially that 4 day battery life, despite the use of a bright 1000-nit screen (how did they manage that?) is impressive! If Fitbit can incorporate a blood oxygen sensor in their smartwatch, I think there might be a strong possibility that Apple will do the same with its upcoming series 3.
    Lower rez screen, lower power processor and a BIGGER WATCH is how you'd do that.

The current 42mm Apple watch can already last 2-3 days if you use it in the way this one would be used.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    It'll probably fall to bits in less than 12 months like every other Fitbit. I got burnt by charge and surge. 
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mac_128 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

AppleInsider said:

As others have pointed out, this might be a CVS thing. In the U.K., ApplePay works wherever you see the contactless symbol. Apple is doing nothing special here. 
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

red oak said:
    God, that is ugly 
    No doubt. Look at this thing:

Damn. 

I saw this pic and I'm like…

I mean … damn. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Ok:  
    Apple Watch: $269
    FitBit:  $299

Let me think about that....
    ...  Ok, a half a second was enough....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 39
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    It'll probably fall to bits in less than 12 months like every other Fitbit. I got burnt by charge and surge. 
    Agreed. Durability would be my biggest concern if I owned it. The two Charge HRs we had didn't last long -- just over a year before they fell apart. I also wouldn't buy anything from a company that bought then killed Pebble and left owners high and dry.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 39
    macmcapplemacmcapple Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    PEBBLE KILLER!!! PEBBLE KILLER!!! You killed Pebble as a company to give us this? No 7 day battery life? No E-Ink display? No Button only model for people who work in situations where the watchface will always be touched? No interchangeable bands? and i'm assuming no free developer kits to make your own watch faces to make the most diverse watch face collection in the world? Fitbit ruined the innovation and uniqueness of Pebble with their buy out... Pebble was fan-stinking-tastic...
    There are interchangeable bands, they just have to be from Fitbit (or designed for the Ionic, at least).
    So...  Basically no interchangeable bands that anyone would want... Pebble was a standard watch band link so you could put one of the 8 billion watch bands available worldwide for any normal watch ever made. anything from a dollar store watch band to a million dollar solid gold band. Consumers had the largest amount of choice with Pebble.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    zroger73 said:
    I like the design. I like the battery life. I like the incredible water resistance. I like the blood oxygen sensor.

It makes the Apple Watch look dated. Apple have some work to do.
    In the end, it seems like the Ionic is not that good, apart from being extremely ugly! that huge bottom bezel!  :( 

Here they show more than 20 reviews of the Ionic smartwatch and it seems nobody liked the watch....well to be honest most people liked the battery life!