Apple reportedly choosing not to hide sensor 'notch' on 'iPhone 8's' OLED display

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Soli said:
    Well, that is unimaginably stupid because it looks terrible.
    Only on white. Two of the benefits of OLED are that blacks are really black and that black means no power being used for those pixels so I'd assume the bar would be mostly black.

The article is literally saying they won't do this...they will let App UI use it, instead of permanently masking it with OLED black. Exactly the worst possible outcome.
    What happens when the phone is held horizontaly in landscape mode. That where the true problem will show itself . 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Soli said:
    Well, that is unimaginably stupid because it looks terrible.
    Only on white. Two of the benefits of OLED are that blacks are really black and that black means no power being used for those pixels so I'd assume the bar would be mostly black.

The article is literally saying they won't do this...they will let App UI use it, instead of permanently masking it with OLED black. Exactly the worst possible outcome.
    What happens when the phone is held horizontaly in landscape mode. That where the true problem will show itself . 
    I agree. What then?? Apple cannot embrace the ears in landscape orientation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 60
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    Personally, I think having the notch 'visible' looks very good from an aesthetic point of view. How they manage the interface elements on either side will have to be evaluated when we know the details but I think there are plenty of options and all of them are good. I don't have any issues with this stuff.

• Reply 44 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm not seeing the dilemma. Right now, in landscape mode the top of the display is the status bar. Not a big deal if they keep that status quo.

Depending on the pixel depth of the cut-in there are plenty of icons in the status bar that could fit in the surrounding area. Even the time might be doable as an analog clock or the time split into hour on one line and minute on the hour. Or, they could also just make it black and it would just be a standard rectangular display that we're familiar with for a decade.

Additionally, I can think of plenty of apps that would benefit from having that extra display area for data without having to super-impose onto the rest of the display or requiring additional menus to be accessed to see the data. For example, imagine looking at Maps in landscape. you'd now have a little more room to see the map as the Information and current GPS location buttons, and the current temperature for Cupertino can all moved a little further to one side. While you can easily argue that this is a minor gain, I can't see how you can argue that there's a downside to see more of the map.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Notch a big deal. 
    Solidoozydozenwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 46 of 60
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Soli said:
    I'm not seeing the dilemma. Right now, in landscape mode the top of the display is the status bar. Not a big deal if they keep that status quo.

Depending on the pixel depth of the cut-in there are plenty of icons in the status bar that could fit in the surrounding area. Even the time might be doable as an analog clock or the time split into hour on one line and minute on the hour. Or, they could also just make it black and it would just be a standard rectangular display that we're familiar with for a decade.

Additionally, I can think of plenty of apps that would benefit from having that extra display area for data without having to super-impose onto the rest of the display or requiring additional menus to be accessed to see the data. For example, imagine looking at Maps in landscape. you'd now have a little more room to see the map as the Information and current GPS location buttons, and the current temperature for Cupertino can all moved a little further to one side. While you can easily argue that this is a minor gain, I can't see how you can argue that there's a downside to see more of the map.

We shall see how elegant of a solution this will turn out to be ......
    i personsly think its a poor solution. It lopsides   the iphone in landscspe  mode .. turn it one way the notch  is  left side.. turn it the other way the notch is on the right and information and apps have to accomodate and jump back and forth .. 
    its not clean solution.. if thats how its implemented. Imo 
    And If its kept dark.. its a waste of pixles and poor estetics. 

But hey lets wait and see... ;)
    p.s.  
    Interesting how there are no mockups and discussion of the notch in landscape mode.. 
  • Reply 47 of 60
    The notch (with ears) forms an iconic silhouette. After everyone's sight gets used to it, it will become a distinguishing feature, soon copied in droves by other manufacturers.
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 48 of 60
    I'm so glad they made this firm decision two weeks before the iPhone 8 is announced. I mean, it's about time, right? /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 60
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    While I would clearly prefer no notch, I'm trusting that Apple made the decision to include the notch because it was a safer technological, less problematic option.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    bluefire1 said:
    While I would clearly prefer no notch, I'm trusting that Apple made the decision to include the notch because it was a safer technological, less problematic option.
    Nothing about a complex curved cut into an LED display panel seems less technological and less problematic. In fact, every year they add features that are more technological and more problematic.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    createrio said:
    The notch (with ears) forms an iconic silhouette. After everyone's sight gets used to it, it will become a distinguishing feature, soon copied in droves by other manufacturers.
    Having a notch, cutout (or whatever you wish to call it) at the top is already available. The 'ears' can be bigger or smaller, that will depend on the sensor array.

I wouldn't call it copying, just a natural evolution of screen real estate but if you prefer to call it that, Apple would be copying in this case.

Either way, I think this will be a trend over the next couple of years. I quite like it as it gives you the perception that the screen is taking up all the available space.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    avon b7 said:
    createrio said:
    Having a notch, cutout (or whatever you wish to call it) at the top is already available. The 'ears' can be bigger or smaller, that will depend on the sensor array.

I wouldn't call it copying, just a natural evolution of screen real estate but if you prefer to call it that, Apple would be copying in this case.

Either way, I think this will be a trend over the next couple of years. I quite like it as it gives you the perception that the screen is taking up all the available space.
    even better, if the physical home button has disappeared, it becomes instantly apparent which way is up. 
    small visual cues can be perfect visual directions for use.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    sandor said:
    avon b7 said:
    createrio said:

even better, if the physical home button has disappeared, it becomes instantly apparent which way is up. 
    small visual cues can be perfect visual directions for use.
    True. I hadn't even thought about that. Little details that make life easier.

I'm hoping that with the introduction of face scanning and AI, the phone will override automatic screen rotation when you lay down. Little things like that that eliminate irritating situations where the screen rotates because a sensor shows the phone has rotated but the user has also 'rotated' and so, as a result, doesn't want the screen to rotate.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 54 of 60
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Soli said:
    mjtomlin said:
    There's also the fact that LCDs do not produce true blacks and the screen is always visible when on.
    You understand that all the talk of the iPhone 8 is about using an LED-based display, right?

You seem to have an issue following a conversation, so let me summarize for you...

1. I mentioned the sensor bar on the "rumored" iPhone (with an OLED display) made the device look unbalanced (along with the different sized rounded corners).
    2. You brought up the fact that there have been black-faced iPhones for ten years, and no one thought it looked unbalanced before when the status bar was black.
    3. I mentioned several reasons why that was along with the fact that those older iPhones used LCD screens which do not show true blacks and therefor the screen has always been distinguishable from the bezel.

You obviously took that line completely out of context. I was clearly talking about existing iPhones.

However, to answer your question, Yes! I do understand that the iPhone 8 is rumored to use an OLED display... That's why I made the original observation.
    edited August 2017 avon b7patchythepirate
  • Reply 55 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    sog35 said:
    Looks really NICE.

Much nicer than the Samsung design or any other small bezel phone.

It still has a nice symetrical design 
    Oh please. If this was a story about Samsung or some other Android OEM everyone here would be panning it. 
    Hmm interesting claim. Can you prove this?
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Can't wait to see a notch constantly invading the side of all my movies, photos, etc. 🙄
  • Reply 57 of 60
    mjtomlin said:
    Soli said:
    mjtomlin said:
    There's also the fact that LCDs do not produce true blacks and the screen is always visible when on.
    You understand that all the talk of the iPhone 8 is about using an LED-based display, right?

You seem to have an issue following a conversation, so let me summarize for you...

1. I mentioned the sensor bar on the "rumored" iPhone (with an OLED display) made the device look unbalanced (along with the different sized rounded corners).
    2. You brought up the fact that there have been black-faced iPhones for ten years, and no one thought it looked unbalanced before when the status bar was black.
    3. I mentioned several reasons why that was along with the fact that those older iPhones used LCD screens which do not show true blacks and therefor the screen has always been distinguishable from the bezel.

You obviously took that line completely out of context. I was clearly talking about existing iPhones.

However, to answer your question, Yes! I do understand that the iPhone 8 is rumored to use an OLED display... That's why I made the original observation.
    Your response to me then was removing my mention of the rumoured iPhone 8 to talk about an older iPhone? Really?! You not only failed to understand the context of why Apple might change their design with an upcoming phone but also decided to shift the conversation to talk about older tech. Try to keep it on topic next time.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I couldn't stomach all the handwringing about The Notch so skipped through most of the conjecture and diatribe.

I don't care for it as rendered in rumor. It's something I would get used to, whatever it turns out to be, just as I have all the other abominations of design foisted on us by the Apple Design Overlords, such as the charging port on the Magic Mouse 2 and the iMac's round mouse. Oh the HUMANITY!

Ok, full disclosure— I've always liked the Hockey Puck and never needed to get used to it. The charging port on the bottom of the MM2 never bothered me for a second, ever.

If there's a notch, if there's not... The teapot tempest will pass.

• Reply 59 of 60
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I will be the first one to laugh if the real "iPhone 8" looked differently with all of these renders when the time came for Tim Cook to hold it in front of audience two weeks later.