Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'

Comments

• Reply 321 of 449
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    avon b7 said:
    There's been a lot of talk about the under screen fingerprint sensor but I don't consider that to be all that special. It's just another way of doing something we already do, just in a different place.

Ridiculous. A reader under the screen allows you to have slim bezels AND keep the fingerprint sensor on the front, instead of the useless hack that everyone else is doing placing it on the back (because they had no alternative). That is, if Apple even goes this route (they likely have a superior solution in FaceID).

avon b7 said:
    The same goes for speed. Mid tier phones have been fast enough for quite a while. The same applies to graphics. RAM and storage? Apple will finally leaving this problem behind.

Rubbish. For example, ARCore from Google requires the latest and fastest phones to work (because AR done in software requires power). This is why Apple also requires a minimum A9 equipped device to use ARKit. Mid-tier phones WILL NOT be able to do AR because they will lack the processor power to achieve it. The funny thing about this is that a 2 year old A9 equipped iPhone (even the least expensive SE) still outperforms 95% of Android devices on the market. Which is why Apple will dominate AR because of the sheer number of devices that will be able to use ARKit.

If all you do is run basic Apps, then mid-tier phones are fast. It's when you want to do something more that iOS shines (not only because of the superior processing power but because of Apps that can actually take advantage of it).

RAM is a problem? iOS isn't the clusterfuck known as Android where you need more RAM than a desktop PC running Windows before it will perform well.

avon b7 said:
    Some kind of new optical biometric option? It's still just a biometric option, just a different one. Nice to have but little more.

More rubbish. Perhaps you forgot how useless Face Unlock was when Android introduced it? Easily fooled by a picture of you, forcing Google to add their Liveness Check feature which required you to blink to verify you weren't a picture. And having to hold your phone up to your face (even for a short time) to unlock? Nobody wants to do that, which is why nobody uses Face Unlock. Then Samsung decided to add this useless feature to the S8, and apparently forgot about the issues Google had and their system was also fooled with a picture. So was their iris scanner. Two-time losers for that screw up.

If Apple implements FaceID according to the features/capabilities shown by the companies they acquired, then it will be a complete game changer. Can't be fooled by a picture, can't be fooled by a 3D sculpture with your face applied to it, can tell identical twins apart, works in the dark, works from a partial view of your face, works at odd angles, and can't be fooled by sunglasses, beards or shaving. It's practically the perfect biometric unlocking feature. If you can see the screen of your phone then it can see you and unlock. It has all the features that make Touch ID so great (fast and accurate) without any drawbacks (like wearing gloves or having dirty/wet fingers).

avon b7 said:
    Better battery is nothing new, nor is OLED, nor is wireless charging.

OLED is not new, but an OLED phone that supports color management is. Since Android doesn't have color management then having a great OLED screen with a wide color gamut is pointless since you can't render content correctly. The iPhone will be the first device in the world to have an OLED screen AND support color management. Couple that with individually calibrated screens and you get the most accurate color reproduction possible. It won't have the "pop" that the cartoonish OLED screens of other devices do, but I'll take accuracy over flash any day.
    millions upon millions of phones have the sensor on the back and people have zero issues with them. For those people (myself included) moving the sensor from the front chin to under the screen is just that, a move. It is absolutely nothing special. There is zero change in function. Some phones already have full screen fronts and there is nothing to comment on except how it looks because the sensor is on the back well out of the way and users are comfortable with it. It's been that way for years. If it were different, rear sensors wouldn't have got past one generation. Do you doubt that Apple also has prototypes with rear sensors? If it were such a bad placement, those prototypes wouldn't exist.

Speed

ARCore and ARKit are not shipping products. Both require developers to develop the possibilities and we have NO IDEA how consumers will react. Right now there is nothing to do but wait. In the meantime, people with mid range phones will continue to use them happily, impervious to what is available through AR. 

You think the new iPhones won't ship with more RAM? You don't think that older, supported phones won't feel the pinch of their RAM allotments? I would wait before before answering those questions. The fact that you don't take issue with my point on storage, I take as tacit admission that it was a problem.

Face Unlock? It is not meant to be a secure feature. On  Samsung phones You cannot even activate it without a warning on security. The system will not even allow you to use it for payments. It is a convenience feature. Nothing more.

On the other hand iPhones allow you to not set any unlock code or use 0000, 1234, etc. In that situation, which option is more secure! The user has to decide, depending on how he/she takes security. Options are good and some Samsung users can try Iris scanning if they wish. iPhone users cannot.

FaceID will not be the gamechanger you think it will. It will simply be another biometric option and very little more. Am I for it? Yes, because options are good. For unlocking, any secure option is good, great even, but gamechanging, NO.

Colour management. Have you ever seen a regular user question colour on their screens? No, I didn't think you had. You might find a subset of pro users who appreciate it but the vast majority of users don't even know they have a 'problem'.

Any comments on battery design and charging? because I will take my fast charging over colour management any day.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 322 of 449
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

mobird said:
    Soli said:
    This will be landmark event for many reasons, one of which I hope will make this the most remembered event since the original 2007 introduction of the iPhone*.

Won't be with out Steve Jobs. Tim Cook is no where close to what Steve could do with an audience...
    He’s enthusiastic to be sure, but he says that he’s uncomfortable in front of large audiences. Apple has a management school, and one thing it teaches is presentation. He’s much better than in the beginning, but his quiet demeanor comes across on the stage, and his slight southern drawl doesn’t give him the sharpness needed. Steve, of course, was unmatched. Just watching some old presentations shows that.
    I think the major difference -- what made Steve so great -- was that he understood the underlying technology and how it was being utilized to make people's live better -- as well as the infinite care from late and sleepless nights that went into making it a great product.   Tim is doing well -- but he just doesn't have Steve's underlying emotional investment or understanding of the product.
    Steve was like any entrepreneur, but he was just better at this whole marketing thing, because he really BELIEVED. Cook is really much better than he’s given credit for. Just watch presentations from other large companies, and you'll see what I mean. I think he also really believes, as do the others below him. But Steve had a talent for this, without having to learn it. Natural charismatics, are rare.

edit; the usual typos, errors in auto correction that I always seem to miss until much later.
    You seem to have a far more in depth and inside knowledge of Apple than I do -- so I respect your opinion.
    But on this I would, knowing that my opinion may be based more on bias than fact, would differ with you.

To me it seems that Steve's "charisma" stemmed from a deep conviction (that underlies mere 'faith' or 'belief' because it is founded on knowledge rather than faith) as well as a passion to present something that will make a difference in the world and make people's lives better. 

While I very much respect Tim Cook and believe that he was an outstanding choice for CEO, I don't think he can every have that same magic as Steve -- not for lack of charisma (which I don't think that either has) but because he lacks the conviction and passion that show when presenting a product that you have personally spent long nights down in the nuts and bolts, bits and bytes while perfecting that product.

I think Markkula, during the first Jobs movie said it best:  "I see that look in your eye -- because I've had myself". 
    We all know people who have charisma. We all know people who don’t. While believing in something helps, you either have it, or you don’t.
    Believing and knowing are two different things.
    --  Steve knew
    --  Tim believes
    We’ll, you know, Steve didn’t have a great depth of knowledge about Apple’s products. He did know how things felt. He did have a great sense of detail, and he did know how things should function at the user level. But his technical knowledge was superficial.
    radarthekatuniscape
  • Reply 323 of 449

lkrupp said:
    Man, has this train jumped the tracks or what.
    See, this is why I stopped harping about the name of the next iPhone.  ;)
    Aaaand, to get right back into it...

I read the other day that the names will be iPhone 8, iPhone 8+ and iPhone Edition.

i don’t know if that’s true, but really, it makes more sense than any other naming I’ve seen anywhere else.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 324 of 449
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

mobird said:
    Soli said:
    This will be landmark event for many reasons, one of which I hope will make this the most remembered event since the original 2007 introduction of the iPhone*.

Won't be with out Steve Jobs. Tim Cook is no where close to what Steve could do with an audience...
    He’s enthusiastic to be sure, but he says that he’s uncomfortable in front of large audiences. Apple has a management school, and one thing it teaches is presentation. He’s much better than in the beginning, but his quiet demeanor comes across on the stage, and his slight southern drawl doesn’t give him the sharpness needed. Steve, of course, was unmatched. Just watching some old presentations shows that.
    I think the major difference -- what made Steve so great -- was that he understood the underlying technology and how it was being utilized to make people's live better -- as well as the infinite care from late and sleepless nights that went into making it a great product.   Tim is doing well -- but he just doesn't have Steve's underlying emotional investment or understanding of the product.
    Steve was like any entrepreneur, but he was just better at this whole marketing thing, because he really BELIEVED. Cook is really much better than he’s given credit for. Just watch presentations from other large companies, and you'll see what I mean. I think he also really believes, as do the others below him. But Steve had a talent for this, without having to learn it. Natural charismatics, are rare.

edit; the usual typos, errors in auto correction that I always seem to miss until much later.
    You seem to have a far more in depth and inside knowledge of Apple than I do -- so I respect your opinion.
    But on this I would, knowing that my opinion may be based more on bias than fact, would differ with you.

To me it seems that Steve's "charisma" stemmed from a deep conviction (that underlies mere 'faith' or 'belief' because it is founded on knowledge rather than faith) as well as a passion to present something that will make a difference in the world and make people's lives better. 

While I very much respect Tim Cook and believe that he was an outstanding choice for CEO, I don't think he can every have that same magic as Steve -- not for lack of charisma (which I don't think that either has) but because he lacks the conviction and passion that show when presenting a product that you have personally spent long nights down in the nuts and bolts, bits and bytes while perfecting that product.

I think Markkula, during the first Jobs movie said it best:  "I see that look in your eye -- because I've had myself". 
    We all know people who have charisma. We all know people who don’t. While believing in something helps, you either have it, or you don’t.
    --  Steve knew
    --  Tim believes
    We’ll, you know, Steve didn’t have a great depth of knowledge about Apple’s products. He did know how things felt. He did have a great sense of detail, and he did know how things should function at the user level. But his technical knowledge was superficial.
    Richard Feynman was noted to have stated something to the effect "that until you can create a freshman lecture, you really don't fully understand the material". 

I'm guessing that Steve was pretty well versed on the technology "in freshman terms", as was Schiller. Steve, being the Gatekeeper, expected his staff and employees to explain things in layman terms so that he could understand, converse, ask questions, and make decisions.

I think that Steve did have a great, and in depth knowledge, of Apple Products at the proof of concept through production phases, though certainly not at an engineer/s level, and much less so of the details of R&D. He did seem more focussed on the UI, ID and form factor, but by the time of the iPhone, most people would consider him an expert consultant on such things, although again, he left the details to engineers and creatives at Apple.

I would state the same for Tim. I really feel like the Apple Machine is running very well oiled indeed, as we will find, yet again, on the 12th.

Edit:

I thought about it a bit more, and one of biggest impediments to communication between disparate fields is language, in this case the vernacular of engineers and scientists at Apple. I expect that Steve would have rapidly adapted to their language, and would have been fairly able to understand what he needed to without "translation".
    edited September 2017 radarthekatuniscape
  • Reply 325 of 449
    melgross said:

lkrupp said:

I read the other day that the names will be iPhone 8, iPhone 8+ and iPhone Edition.

i don’t know if that’s true, but really, it makes more sense than any other naming I’ve seen anywhere else.
    I don't disagree with the possibility of iPhone 8/8+ and Edition nomenclature, but would add that I don't think that Apple will hold back on features that it can include in the iPhone 8. I would have to see the Edition as the model with features and technologies, some unique in mobile, that weren't scalable in production to the iPhone 8/8 Plus, or were simply too expensive.

For that, I'm really curious about imaging improvements with regards to photography and video, which there has been little news of to date. I'm not all that keen on photography on mobile devices, but I can also see a path to the future that leads to where I would be very interested.

Edit:

One evolution that might appear in the Edition is an improved battery chemistry for higher density, unlikely though that may be, it would be a innovation that would be an easy up sell driver.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 326 of 449
    I wonder if Apple will do like Huawei and add an NPU (or similar) to the A11. This is really impressive.

Source: Anandtech
  • Reply 327 of 449
    EngDev said:
    I wonder if Apple will do like Huawei and add an NPU (or similar) to the A11. This is really impressive.

I don't think that we will see it yet from Apple though, nor do they need to. A large bump in GPU performance, expected from Apple, would mitigate most of the so called "AI Gap" pretty well anyway. Huawai sees this as an innovation, and we will have to see how it actually drives sales, but kudos to Huawai for starting the race. The sythetic benchmark that Huawei posed might be less important than whatever overall performance advantage the A11 brings to the iPhone.
  • Reply 328 of 449
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    EngDev said:

[images]

1) I'll be more surprised if they don't offer an NPU this year. We've already seen them beat the market with other advances in mobile processors because of their in-house designs, and I think it's safe to say that AI is important for Apple's future. Last year they already started with some localization with machine learning on the device (link below) and we know Apple will be making their own GPUs, which I think is an additional hint about Apple's bespoke chip design goals.

2a) Thanks for posting the source.

2b) This has gotten me excited about 12 Sept.
  • Reply 329 of 449
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    There's been a lot of talk about the under screen fingerprint sensor but I don't consider that to be all that special. It's just another way of doing something we already do, just in a different place.

Ridiculous. A reader under the screen allows you to have slim bezels AND keep the fingerprint sensor on the front, instead of the useless hack that everyone else is doing placing it on the back (because they had no alternative). That is, if Apple even goes this route (they likely have a superior solution in FaceID).

avon b7 said:
    The same goes for speed. Mid tier phones have been fast enough for quite a while. The same applies to graphics. RAM and storage? Apple will finally leaving this problem behind.

Rubbish. For example, ARCore from Google requires the latest and fastest phones to work (because AR done in software requires power). This is why Apple also requires a minimum A9 equipped device to use ARKit. Mid-tier phones WILL NOT be able to do AR because they will lack the processor power to achieve it. The funny thing about this is that a 2 year old A9 equipped iPhone (even the least expensive SE) still outperforms 95% of Android devices on the market. Which is why Apple will dominate AR because of the sheer number of devices that will be able to use ARKit.

If all you do is run basic Apps, then mid-tier phones are fast. It's when you want to do something more that iOS shines (not only because of the superior processing power but because of Apps that can actually take advantage of it).

RAM is a problem? iOS isn't the clusterfuck known as Android where you need more RAM than a desktop PC running Windows before it will perform well.

avon b7 said:
    Some kind of new optical biometric option? It's still just a biometric option, just a different one. Nice to have but little more.

More rubbish. Perhaps you forgot how useless Face Unlock was when Android introduced it? Easily fooled by a picture of you, forcing Google to add their Liveness Check feature which required you to blink to verify you weren't a picture. And having to hold your phone up to your face (even for a short time) to unlock? Nobody wants to do that, which is why nobody uses Face Unlock. Then Samsung decided to add this useless feature to the S8, and apparently forgot about the issues Google had and their system was also fooled with a picture. So was their iris scanner. Two-time losers for that screw up.

If Apple implements FaceID according to the features/capabilities shown by the companies they acquired, then it will be a complete game changer. Can't be fooled by a picture, can't be fooled by a 3D sculpture with your face applied to it, can tell identical twins apart, works in the dark, works from a partial view of your face, works at odd angles, and can't be fooled by sunglasses, beards or shaving. It's practically the perfect biometric unlocking feature. If you can see the screen of your phone then it can see you and unlock. It has all the features that make Touch ID so great (fast and accurate) without any drawbacks (like wearing gloves or having dirty/wet fingers).

avon b7 said:

OLED is not new, but an OLED phone that supports color management is. Since Android doesn't have color management then having a great OLED screen with a wide color gamut is pointless since you can't render content correctly. The iPhone will be the first device in the world to have an OLED screen AND support color management. Couple that with individually calibrated screens and you get the most accurate color reproduction possible. It won't have the "pop" that the cartoonish OLED screens of other devices do, but I'll take accuracy over flash any day.
    millions upon millions of phones have the sensor on the back and people have zero issues with them. For those people (myself included) moving the sensor from the front chin to under the screen is just that, a move. It is absolutely nothing special. There is zero change in function. Some phones already have full screen fronts and there is nothing to comment on except how it looks because the sensor is on the back well out of the way and users are comfortable with it. It's been that way for years. If it were different, rear sensors wouldn't have got past one generation. Do you doubt that Apple also has prototypes with rear sensors? If it were such a bad placement, those prototypes wouldn't exist.

Speed

ARCore and ARKit are not shipping products. Both require developers to develop the possibilities and we have NO IDEA how consumers will react. Right now there is nothing to do but wait. In the meantime, people with mid range phones will continue to use them happily, impervious to what is available through AR. 

You think the new iPhones won't ship with more RAM? You don't think that older, supported phones won't feel the pinch of their RAM allotments? I would wait before before answering those questions. The fact that you don't take issue with my point on storage, I take as tacit admission that it was a problem.

Face Unlock? It is not meant to be a secure feature. On  Samsung phones You cannot even activate it without a warning on security. The system will not even allow you to use it for payments. It is a convenience feature. Nothing more.

On the other hand iPhones allow you to not set any unlock code or use 0000, 1234, etc. In that situation, which option is more secure! The user has to decide, depending on how he/she takes security. Options are good and some Samsung users can try Iris scanning if they wish. iPhone users cannot.

FaceID will not be the gamechanger you think it will. It will simply be another biometric option and very little more. Am I for it? Yes, because options are good. For unlocking, any secure option is good, great even, but gamechanging, NO.

Colour management. Have you ever seen a regular user question colour on their screens? No, I didn't think you had. You might find a subset of pro users who appreciate it but the vast majority of users don't even know they have a 'problem'.

Any comments on battery design and charging? because I will take my fast charging over colour management any day.
    Feh. You’re just making excuses. I’ve not seen one review that didn’t mention the inconvience of a rear mounted ID button. You can’t use it when the phone is on a table without picking it up. Sure, forget things that do matter. Samsung’s is particularly hated.

just because Samsung always has issues with their features, doesn’t mean that Apple will. That’s just a very bad argument from you. Apple came out with Touch ID and it  worked great from the very beginning, but Samsung just felt that it HAD to have that bullet point, so they added one that didn’t work, very typical of them. 

samsung has options, because its facial and iris unlock options don’t work well. Again, that doesn’t mean that Apple’s won’t work well.

color management is important. I understand that you don’t want to say that, because Android doesn’t have it, and it’s not likely it will.

fast charging sucks, because you’re guaranteed of having your battery fail before its normal lifetime is up. So, be happy with that.
    tmayericthehalfbeepscooter63radarthekatpatchythepirate
  • Reply 330 of 449

tmay said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

mobird said:
    Soli said:

--  Steve knew
    --  Tim believes
    Richard Feynman was noted to have stated something to the effect "that until you can create a freshman lecture, you really don't fully understand the material". 

I'm guessing that Steve was pretty well versed on the technology "in freshman terms", as was Schiller. Steve, being the Gatekeeper, expected his staff and employees to explain things in layman terms so that he could understand, converse, ask questions, and make decisions.

I think that Steve did have a great, and in depth knowledge, of Apple Products at the proof of concept through production phases, though certainly not at an engineer/s level, and much less so of the details of R&D. He did seem more focussed on the UI, ID and form factor, but by the time of the iPhone, most people would consider him an expert consultant on such things, although again, he left the details to engineers and creatives at Apple.

I would state the same for Tim. I really feel like the Apple Machine is running very well oiled indeed, as we will find, yet again, on the 12th.

Edit:

I thought about it a bit more, and one of biggest impediments to communication between disparate fields is language, in this case the vernacular of engineers and scientists at Apple. I expect that Steve would have rapidly adapted to their language, and would have been fairly able to understand what he needed to without "translation".
    It’s nice you had so much faith in his knowledge. I’m just going by what I’ve read about him from people who knew him over the years.
  • Reply 331 of 449
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

mobird said:
    Soli said:

--  Steve knew
    --  Tim believes
    And expanding on this, Tim knows things that Steve only believed as well, particularly the "products to make lives better" part.

Tim is also the far more experienced nuts-and-bolts sustainer of the company.

Steve's legacy, which as you say comes from his experience, carries on in all the product geniuses who are clearly still re-experiencing the process. Apple is the first corporation to consciously enshrine this methodology, and it derives directly from Steve's experiments in examining (altered) consciousness itself.
    tmayronnpscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 332 of 449

tmay said:
    melgross said:

lkrupp said:

I don't disagree with the possibility of iPhone 8/8+ and Edition nomenclature, but would add that I don't think that Apple will hold back on features that it can include in the iPhone 8. I would have to see the Edition as the model with features and technologies, some unique in mobile, that weren't scalable in production to the iPhone 8/8 Plus, or were simply too expensive.

For that, I'm really curious about imaging improvements with regards to photography and video, which there has been little news of to date. I'm not all that keen on photography on mobile devices, but I can also see a path to the future that leads to where I would be very interested.

Edit:

One evolution that might appear in the Edition is an improved battery chemistry for higher density, unlikely though that may be, it would be a innovation that would be an easy up sell driver.
    I think that Apple will do whatever it can for the 8 and 8+, if those will indeed be their names. What Apple is doing to the Edition, again, if that will be its name, is because of the OLED display. Apple is choosing to have a cutout that will up the cost of the display, and which, according to Foxconn, is resulting in a 40% reject rate. I wonder who is responsible for eating those costs.

since we really don’t know what’s going into any of these things, other than the usual new SoC, etc., it’s hard to know just what Apple will use as a differentiator, other than that screen, and new case.

that is, we can all guess, and some will guess more closely than others, but it’s just guessing. There are a number of things that Apple has come up with, such as the machine learning chip, but we don’t know where they’re going just yet.
  • Reply 333 of 449
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    A follow up to my previous post. Huawei just let slip some information by accident.

http://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-just-accidentally-revealed-the-mate-10-chipset-early-at-ifa-2017

They are claiming the world's first mobile AI processing unit.

The official presentation isn't until tomorrow but if what is being claimed actually works on the device, they may have upped the ante a little. This makes me think Apple might also have something along those lines for their big reveal on the 12th.

Nobody cares. Even "if" they have a machine learning processor on board, how will it get used? The biggest problem with Android is device makers adding their own custom hardware that isn't actually supported by Android. So none of your Apps will properly take advantage of those features.

The rest of the 970 is generic off-the-shelf A73, A53 and Mali parts. Nothing new here, just another SoC based on ARM cores. At least Samsung and Qualcomm are now trying their hand at making their own custom cores, although they are still WAY behind Apple in this regard. The A11 should hit 4,000 single core, which makes it literally double that of the 835 or 8895. Quite amazing how far ahead Apple is. 
    If nobody cared, this site wouldn't have half as much Google and Samsung content.

Let me know when AI does an article on Kirin processors.
    They've been discussed several times in AI articles. Use your favorite browser and search "AppleInsider Kirin", tho it doesn't help the point you thought you were making.

I said "let me know when AI does an article on Kirin processors", not "AI has never mentioned them before".
    So then you had no point at all. :/
    The OP alluded to the very valid fact that if there was no interest in other companies products or OS's AI wouldn't keep bringing them up in article content, and folks like you, me, Tmay, Soli and hundreds of others wouldn't have any reason to comment in them when they do. And proving your own interest you frequently comment on even Android, or Google or Microsoft specific articles posted here.

Yes you're interested just as many of us are, and TBH we should be IMO. 

Well, some people don’t think “interest” means anything  other than “like”. Obviously, that’s not true.
    “I’ll tell you, you just have not had chili by the campfire until you’ve eaten it with one of Jony [Ive’s] custom crafted aluminium spoons. … It’s the diamond-cut chamfered edges that really make the experience.” – Craig Federighi, while demoing the new Finder, WWDC 2014
    I think that’s it’s great that they can kid each other like that.
    I remember when I saw this during the live stream I wasn't so sure that deep inside Sir John didn't clench his teeth at least a little bit. But yes, I appreciate this lightness a lot. In particular when co pared to other companies. 
  • Reply 334 of 449
    EngDev said:

As I mentioned, Apple talked about its machine learning chip in the June developer’s conference. It’s obviously intended for iOS devices. But which ones will it go in?
  • Reply 335 of 449
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

Speed

Feh. You’re just making excuses. I’ve not seen one review that didn’t mention the inconvience of a rear mounted ID button. You can’t use it when the phone is on a table without picking it up. Sure, forget things that do matter. Samsung’s is particularly hated.

just because Samsung always has issues with their features, doesn’t mean that Apple will. That’s just a very bad argument from you. Apple came out with Touch ID and it  worked great from the very beginning, but Samsung just felt that it HAD to have that bullet point, so they added one that didn’t work, very typical of them. 

samsung has options, because its facial and iris unlock options don’t work well. Again, that doesn’t mean that Apple’s won’t work well.

color management is important. I understand that you don’t want to say that, because Android doesn’t have it, and it’s not likely it will.

fast charging sucks, because you’re guaranteed of having your battery fail before its normal lifetime is up. So, be happy with that.
    I'm not putting Avon B7 on ignore, but I gave up responding to him as of today.

I'm excited by the potential for serious photographic workflows on iPad Pro's with iOS 11, file management being the serious limitation to date.
  • Reply 336 of 449
    EngDev said:

So some case of premature ejaculation of a wanna-be-Apple, or some real innovation?
    anyway, they beat Apple to the "first post" race. 
  • Reply 337 of 449
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

Speed

Lots of people use the 'can't use it on a table without picking it up' to argue against rear mounted sensors but what use do you make of the phone in those situations?

If you're in a bar a want to look at your screen on the table, for example? That's what double tap to wake is for (and is coming to iPhone soon). If you actually want to do something a bit more involved in a mobile situation then I suppose the phone is in your hand already and the placement is a non-issue in that situation. You'll have to give me a different use situation for the table top scenario for me to evaluate. As things are, even picking the phone up to unlock is far less effort than turning the page of a newspaper, adjusting my glasses or raising a coffee cup to my mouth. That's to say even lifting to unlock is a non-issue. But with tap to wake, that isn't an issue.
  • Reply 338 of 449
    melgross said:

tmay said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

mobird said:
    Soli said:

--  Steve knew
    --  Tim believes

Edit:

It’s nice you had so much faith in his knowledge. I’m just going by what I’ve read about him from people who knew him over the years.
    Fair enough.
  • Reply 339 of 449
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    So some case of premature ejaculation of a wanna-be-Apple, or some real innovation?
    1) Who wouldn't want to have Apple's mindshare, valuation, or position in multiple markets? I'd like to see more companies strive for better products, over the "innovation" that occurred with the WinPC market where they found more clever ways to cut down on prices.

2) This is a known future in computing and this seems like a great achievement for Huawei. The benchmark seems a bit odd but maybe I don't understand the relevance of "images recognized per minute."

3) We got ML on the A10 a year ago and the Kirin 970 doesn't start shipping until mid October. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an A11 next month shipping to millions of customers by the end of September that blows the 970 out of the water. Designing their own chips has allowed Apple to do amazing things already. I hope we get to see what their in-house GPU designs can do this year.
    tmayericthehalfbeeradarthekat
  • Reply 340 of 449
    Soli said:
    1) Who wouldn't want to have Apple's mindshare, valuation, or position in multiple markets? I'd like to see more companies strive for better products, over the "innovation" that occurred with the WinPC market where they found more clever ways to cut down on prices.

2) This is a known future in computing and this seems like a great achievement for Huawei. The benchmark seems a bit odd but maybe I don't understand the relevance of "images recognized per minute."

3) We got ML on the A10 a year ago and the Kirin 970 doesn't start shipping until mid October. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an A11 next month shipping to millions of customers by the end of September that blows the 970 out of the water. Designing their own chips has allowed Apple to do amazing things already. I hope we get to see what their in-house GPU designs can do this year.
    For the A11, I'm hoping for a fully Apple generated GPGPU design, As for any AI add on, it's still very early in the game, so Apple not having it doesn't seem to be a big deal; maybe Apple will have it on the A11 SOC.

My expectation, though, is that Apple wants the AI architecture on die, for system performance, and hence, why I'm not expecting it on the 12th. I'm certainly open to a surprise.
    Soli