Apple invites press to Sept. 12 event at Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater for 'iPhone 8'

1246723

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 450
    macguimacgui Posts: 753member
    melgross said:

    mike54 said:
    ... one more thing... Mac Mini !     ...please?
    This isn’t a Mac event, so that would be unlikely, though not impossible.
    Even at a Mac Event, it's possible the mini could be updated quietly at the site with no additional announcement. Apple has done that several times in the past with different products. I think they did that once with iMacs after an iPad event.
    lollivernetmage
  • Reply 62 of 450
    nhtnht Posts: 4,125member
    macgui said:
    melgross said:

    mike54 said:
    ... one more thing... Mac Mini !     ...please?
    This isn’t a Mac event, so that would be unlikely, though not impossible.
    Even at a Mac Event, it's possible the mini could be updated quietly at the site with no additional announcement. Apple has done that several times in the past with different products. I think they did that once with iMacs after an iPad event.
    If the store has to go down anyway they could do a stealth update.  Not very likely but not improbable either.
  • Reply 63 of 450
    SoliSoli Posts: 7,337member
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    But that only accounts for active jammers, right? They could simply refortify the structure so that data is hard to be passed through the thick walls, right?

    Still, I don't see why it would help Apple to do this expect to push more people to their own streams, but I'd argue that even that doesn't help to get the knowledge out about their new products.
    edited August 2017 lolliver
  • Reply 64 of 450
    SoliSoli Posts: 7,337member
    This means the facility will have passed inspection. Is there any evidence that this has occurred yet?
  • Reply 65 of 450
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 30,376member
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    The colours on the invite look promising. I hope rose gold, dark greys and even black are given the boot for a few years.
    A dark blue iPhone would be so amazing...
    I would buy an iPhone in midnight blue in a heartbeat. 
    Yeah, that, and the RED product color is spectacular.
    I really hope there will be a project red version. That's what got me into the 7.

    Excited for this event. There's going to be all the hardware announced let alone everything related to iOS 11 and how it factors into the new feature set of the new iPhone. So happy we're less than 2 weeks away. There's going to be so much exciting speculation.
    If we hadn’t already bought our phones, I would have bought that one instead, my daughter as well. My wife likes her glossy black model best.
  • Reply 66 of 450
    puiz666puiz666 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    2017: iPhone 7s (low end), iPhone 8 (high end)
    2018: iPhone 8 (low end)? Really? And iPhone what, 8s for the high end?

    Has anyone literally spent five seconds thinking about these names??
  • Reply 67 of 450
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 30,376member
    macgui said:
    melgross said:

    mike54 said:
    ... one more thing... Mac Mini !     ...please?
    This isn’t a Mac event, so that would be unlikely, though not impossible.
    Even at a Mac Event, it's possible the mini could be updated quietly at the site with no additional announcement. Apple has done that several times in the past with different products. I think they did that once with iMacs after an iPad event.
    It’s possible. We really don’t know what Apple is thinking about the Mini. I hope they update it, even if I’m not personally interested in it.
  • Reply 68 of 450
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 30,376member

    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    I can’t say about LTE, but Apple is allowed to refuse to offer WiFi at its own facilities. I don’t believe that they ever jammed it though, so reporters could use their hotspots.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 69 of 450
    macguimacgui Posts: 753member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    But that only accounts for active jammers, right? They could simply refortify the structure so that data is hard to be passed through the thick walls, right?

    Still, I do see why it would help Apple to do this expect to push more people to their own streams, but I'd argue that even that doesn't help to get the knowledge out about their new products.
    First, active jamming is illegal and I don't believe Apple would go for it anyway. They could easily build a big Faraday cage, especially with the theater itself being underground. There is nothing that says they need to build a structure that provides access to wireless, etc. And since they do stream now (and for the last few years) there's no reason to restrict wireless access.

    There was a problem in the past when using some other venues were Steve famously had to ask the attendees to secure their WiFi as it was impinging on the Event's WiFi.
    edited August 2017 tmaylolliver
  • Reply 70 of 450
    SoliSoli Posts: 7,337member
    melgross said:

    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    I can’t say about LTE, but Apple is allowed to refuse to offer WiFi at its own facilities. I don’t believe that they ever jammed it though, so reporters could use their hotspots.
    And if the underground facility makes using cellular ineffective then how will creating personal hotspots with their phone to tether to their Macs be useful for live streaming the event?
  • Reply 71 of 450
    SoliSoli Posts: 7,337member
    puiz666 said:
    Has anyone literally spent five seconds thinking about these names??
    Lots of people have wasted countless hours caring about something as silly as Apple's naming convention.

    Q: If there's no product called iPhone 8, iPhone X, iPhone Pro, iPhone Edition, iPhone Wubba Lubba Dub Dub will it really matter if the product has the features you want at a price that is agreeable to you? If you're a reasonable person it shouldn't matter one iota.
    muthuk_vanalingamradarthekatlolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 72 of 450
    macguimacgui Posts: 753member
    avon b7 said:
    The colours on the invite look promising. I hope rose gold, dark greys and even black are given the boot for a few years.
    Very doubtful.

    While it might be interesting to see a Mint iPhone or other colors from the old iPod rainbow, at the very least most business and professional types would like something 'professional' without having to use a case.

    And even amongst the general population, those colors you eschew are still very popular.
  • Reply 73 of 450
    SoliSoli Posts: 7,337member
    macgui said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    But that only accounts for active jammers, right? They could simply refortify the structure so that data is hard to be passed through the thick walls, right?

    Still, I do see why it would help Apple to do this expect to push more people to their own streams, but I'd argue that even that doesn't help to get the knowledge out about their new products.
    First, active jamming is illegal and I don't believe Apple would go for it anyway. They could easily build a big Faraday cage, especially with the theater itself being underground. There is nothing that says they need to build a structure that provides access to wireless, etc. And since they do stream now (and for the last few years) there's no reason to restrict wireless access.

    There was a problem in the past when using some other venues were Steve famously had to ask the attendees to secure their WiFi as it was impinging on the Event's WiFi.
    I'm guessing one benefit for Apple is that they can use a hardline for their presentation internally and externally to the Akami services for streaming distribution. This would mean that having WiFI—which only needs to work for a fraction of the number of people in their other venues—will not be technological issue for them. However, it could be a logistics or marketing issue if they want to keep more traffic on their website for the event; but it could also be a logistics issue if they don't want their website being to overwhelmed, hence allowing live streamers—which, again, will likely be less due to the much smaller venue—to pick up some of the slack to get the largest possible audience during the event.
  • Reply 74 of 450
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    It's a press event, designed to publise new product. Why on earth would Apple invite the press and the stop them communicating?
    randominternetpersonradarthekatlollivernetmage
  • Reply 75 of 450
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 30,376member
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    I can’t say about LTE, but Apple is allowed to refuse to offer WiFi at its own facilities. I don’t believe that they ever jammed it though, so reporters could use their hotspots.
    And if the underground facility makes using cellular ineffective then how will creating personal hotspots with their phone to tether to their Macs be useful for live streaming the event?
    That’s a peripheral issue. That’s not blocking a signal, that’s just the design. My doctor’s Office is also one floor down. There is no cell service at all. That’s not blocking service.

    so if they can’t send out because the theater is underground, that’s too bad, but it’s not a deliberate attempt to block service. It’s a deliberate attempt to not have the theater block the view of the central park area from employees during work hours.

    and who knows. If that’s the case, possibly Apple arranged for cells to be installed.
  • Reply 76 of 450
    SoliSoli Posts: 7,337member
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    Gone will be the days of citizen 'photojournalists' peaking in windows, filming banners being put up, watching for signs of product shipments at Apple's previous venues for product announcements. Apple now has total control at the Steve Jobs Theater. Nobody gets in, nobody gets out without Apple knowing about it. WiFi can be disabled, LTE can be jammed. Leo LaPorte can't set up shop across the street and pretend to be an invited guest. Oh the humanity!
    Can they legally jam wireless data? I thought that jammers were illegal for safety reasons. What I think they can do is create passive jammers, like building a Faraday cage around the underground event so that data can't be sent through the walls or simply use materials that make it difficult to impossible for signals to pass.
    Jamming LTE, WiFi, etc is a federal crime so Apple can't obviously do that.
    I can’t say about LTE, but Apple is allowed to refuse to offer WiFi at its own facilities. I don’t believe that they ever jammed it though, so reporters could use their hotspots.
    And if the underground facility makes using cellular ineffective then how will creating personal hotspots with their phone to tether to their Macs be useful for live streaming the event?
    That’s a peripheral issue. That’s not blocking a signal, that’s just the design. My doctor’s Office is also one floor down. There is no cell service at all. That’s not blocking service.

    so if they can’t send out because the theater is underground, that’s too bad, but it’s not a deliberate attempt to block service. It’s a deliberate attempt to not have the theater block the view of the central park area from employees during work hours.

    and who knows. If that’s the case, possibly Apple arranged for cells to be installed.
    1) Regardless of the way, your comment about creating a hotspot becomes irreverent If there's no cellular signal to connect to.

    2) You can't be certain that part of their design was to keep cellular actively down while their event was taking place without breaking FCC laws.
  • Reply 77 of 450
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 30,376member

    Soli said:
    puiz666 said:
    Has anyone literally spent five seconds thinking about these names??
    Lots of people have wasted countless hours caring about something as silly as Apple's naming convention.

    Q: If there's no product called iPhone 8, iPhone X, iPhone Pro, iPhone Edition, iPhone Wubba Lubba Dub Dub will it really matter if the product has the features you want at a price that is agreeable to you? If you're a reasonable person it shouldn't matter one iota.
    I agree. I’ve never understood the big deal. In fact, I got into a long discussion with someone, I don’t remember his name, who ran a developer website several years ago, about the numerical naming of OS X when it was at 10.9. His claim was that the naming convention that Apple was using could never allow them to go to 10.10. I scoffed at that, and said that they could do whatever they wanted to, and that I’d bet that they would go to 10.10. He was really adamant about it. Seriously adamant.

    i couldn’t see the big deal.
    lolliver
  • Reply 78 of 450
    SoliSoli Posts: 7,337member
    melgross said:

    Soli said:
    puiz666 said:
    Has anyone literally spent five seconds thinking about these names??
    Lots of people have wasted countless hours caring about something as silly as Apple's naming convention.

    Q: If there's no product called iPhone 8, iPhone X, iPhone Pro, iPhone Edition, iPhone Wubba Lubba Dub Dub will it really matter if the product has the features you want at a price that is agreeable to you? If you're a reasonable person it shouldn't matter one iota.
    I agree. I’ve never understood the big deal. In fact, I got into a long discussion with someone, I don’t remember his name, who ran a developer website several years ago, about the numerical naming of OS X when it was at 10.9. His claim was that the naming convention that Apple was using could never allow them to go to 10.10. I scoffed at that, and said that they could do whatever they wanted to, and that I’d bet that they would go to 10.10. He was really adamant about it. Seriously adamant.

    i couldn’t see the big deal.
    There were several on this forum. I think one of them was Benjamin Frost. The general argument that once you get to 10 you have to update the value on the other side of the "decimal," but it's not a decimal, it's a period to denote a separation. Pointing out that the version numbers are xx.yy.zz and math in English only uses a single decimal to denote a fraction of a whole number escaped them.

    Additionally, giving plenty of examples of version numbers that far exceeded single digit values and even included letters wasn't enough to convince them. Even after Apple made the inevitable change they kept saying Apple was wrong.

    Here are some apps from High Sierra 10.13b8:
    • Safari - Version 11.0 (13604.1.38.1.6)
    • Chrome - Version 56.0.2924.87
    • iTunes 12.7.0.48


    edited August 2017
  • Reply 79 of 450
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,002member
    Soli said:
    This means the facility will have passed inspection. Is there any evidence that this has occurred yet?
    So Apple announced it would take place in the Steve Jobs Theater but they lied to us?
    lolliver
  • Reply 80 of 450
    melgross said:
    i’m an active investor, which just means that I do all of the decisions myself, and don’t use managed accounts. So I have to be on the ball about it. Really, if you’re not doing estimates, you shouldn’t be an active investor. Just do what Buffet advises, and get a bundle of the Fortune 500 without management. Otherwise, it requires work.
    Thanks for the (condescending) advice. Yeah, I happen to know a little bit about investing too, manage mine as well, so I am good.

    The last thing this board needs is another sog35-type amateur investor bragging about stock price estimates for Apple (or any other stock), or some back and forth about market price forecasts. They go nowhere quickly.
    edited August 2017 ronn
Sign In or Register to comment.