Apple allegedly gearing up for future iPhone with greater than 12MP camera order

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    melgross said:

wizard69 said:

melgross said:
    Quite frankly, I would prefer better noise and dynamic range. Even shooting with lightroom’s RAW/HDR mode gives way too much noise when making more than a very slight correction for shadows.
    Im fairly confident that we can have both.   There is an incredible amount of research going into camera sensors.   So more pixels could arrive with little to no regressions elsewhere.  

If Apple pulls head from ass about thinness we could see camera improvements simply due to more efficient transmission of light to the sensor.  Another possibility is sensor with a curved surface that better couples incoming light.  All sorts of other techniques are being researched including the use of quantum dots.     So the potential is there for an overall better camera.  
    There’s just so much we can get generation to generation. So it depends on what Apple thinks is best. A small increase in resolution to 14Mp, with the same, or maybe a little better noise. 16Mp with the same, or slightly more noise, or 12MP with noticably less noise, and better dynamic range.

i don’t see how much better they can do. But if Apple gets a sensor with the amplifier on chip, then they could get much better noise and dynamic range. But, Apple doesn’t design these chips, though like the Nikon/Sony agreement, Apple could tweak the chip. That’s why Nikon’s versions of the Sony chips are slightly better.
    There is also the fact those cameras are used in low light and daylight. In daylight, a 20MP small sensor makes sense, but the same sensor may suffer when signal (light) is not able to drown the noise (self-noise in this case though there are limits in low light coming from the optic stack itself before it even gets to the sensor)..

They could I suppose make weird ass sensors that are not flat with crazy optics and then programmatically rebuild the image, that's what many of the compact cameras do to get high level of light all through their zoom range (like the G7X).
  • Reply 22 of 24

I hope the iPhone can shoot better pics in low light conditions. Using the optical zoom indoors even in ambient light conditions results in a lot of noise.

Take the iPhone outdoors during the day and it is a beast. It negates the need for a dedicated camera if all you want to do is record digital memories, or physical 4x6 prints for vacations.

• Reply 23 of 24
    wizard69 said:

melgross said:
    Quite frankly, I would prefer better noise and dynamic range. Even shooting with lightroom’s RAW/HDR mode gives way too much noise when making more than a very slight correction for shadows.
    Im fairly confident that we can have both.   There is an incredible amount of research going into camera sensors.   So more pixels could arrive with little to no regressions elsewhere.  

If Apple pulls head from ass about thinness we could see camera improvements simply due to more efficient transmission of light to the sensor.  Another possibility is sensor with a curved surface that better couples incoming light.  All sorts of other techniques are being researched including the use of quantum dots.     So the potential is there for an overall better camera.  
    Not really. I dont want a thicker phone and I'm not alone. Just because you don't value the things Apple values doesn't mean their head is up their ass. I'm sure the market has plenty of thick phones to choose from...
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Not always more megapixels means better images, but I think people use the iPhone as a camera to print out shoots.