Nissan debuts redesigned Leaf with Apple CarPlay, offers Apple Watch with reservations

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    ireland said:
    $2.5K for CarPlay? Nissan can always go fuck themselves. We need more innovation in the electric car space, so a company can actually offer some value for money. Some greed in this world, alright. $1K would be pushing it.
    Don't play dumb. Its not $2.5K for car play. It's $2.5K for an upgraded trim level which includes many upgrades to the car, one of which is a touch screen with nav that supports car play. Soon, you'll be telling me that the $5K premium package on the Tesla Model 3 is for LED fog lights.
    christopher126
  • Reply 22 of 35
    I'm overall impressed with the value proposition offered by Nissan with the LEAF. It's a fully loaded (with autopilot too) car for $35K versus $45K for a similar TM3 and some distinct features not offered by the Model 3 (3x cargo room, hatch back, blindspot monitoring, cross traffic alert, around view, Bose stereo, heated steering wheel, CarPlay, real instrument cluster, longer warranty, actual availability to buy it). 150 miles is plenty for many, and plenty will value versatility over performance.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    This is not a serious offering with that 150 mile range.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:
    ireland said:
    $2.5K for CarPlay? Nissan can always go fuck themselves. We need more innovation in the electric car space, so a company can actually offer some value for money. Some greed in this world, alright. $1K would be pushing it.
    That's an entire trim level upgrade. It's not just a stereo upgrade. In my last Nissan the upgrade from S to SV included the addition of AWD.
    Yeah, but if the only feature you want added is CarPlay, then it is $2.5K for CarPlay. 

It's not like that wasn't intentional.
    Welcome to buying new cars. 
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Average US commute is 15 miles each way

https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/omnistats/volume_03_issue_04/pdf/entire.pdf

Even if errands triple that daily, there is plenty of juice to spare for daily use. 

Of course ot it isn't the car to tour coast to coast. 

Its clearly a serious offering for a commuting vehicle. 
  • Reply 26 of 35
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    polymnia said:
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:
    ireland said:
    That's an entire trim level upgrade. It's not just a stereo upgrade. In my last Nissan the upgrade from S to SV included the addition of AWD.
    Yeah, but if the only feature you want added is CarPlay, then it is $2.5K for CarPlay. 

Closing in on entering my 4th decade of doing so, thanks. Pointing out their games isn't the same as not understanding them. 
  • Reply 27 of 35
    I'm just hoping self-driving vehicles will really be available as of 2019 (as estimated by Elon Musk). I'd like my current vehicle to be the last one I ever lease and let it all be on-demand self-driving cars from now on. I'd save a ton of money and trouble.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 28 of 35
    polymnia said:

https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/omnistats/volume_03_issue_04/pdf/entire.pdf

Even if errands triple that daily, there is plenty of juice to spare for daily use. 

Which is meaningless for those with range anxiety. My average commute might be 15 miles and regular errands would still be far below the 150. But the day I have to head to the airport to depart or pick up someone, it's going to be cutting it very close. If I'm not fully charged it'll be an non-starter. I guess I could rent a car when I need to get out of town but that's hardly convenient. 

It's ideal for short distance commuters that don't get out of town. But for those that even periodically need more than 150, it isn't at all a serious off, especially when the are affordable competitors that have much greater range. As you say, not the car for coast to coast trips. Nor for families that go to the beach or the lake. Nor those that have inconveniently long drives a few times a year or month. Nor those that drive to visit family upstate. Well, I guess in all those cases they can just rent the car they actually need.

its funny, I keep hearing the same arguments for almost every EV "it's all you need most of the time". Clearly, as manufacturers are pushing for greater and greater range, the hand waving hasn't worked.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 29 of 35
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:

Which is meaningless for those with range anxiety. My average commute might be 15 miles and regular errands would still be far below the 150. But the day I have to head to the airport to depart or pick up someone, it's going to be cutting it very close. If I'm not fully charged it'll be an non-starter. I guess I could rent a car when I need to get out of town but that's hardly convenient. 

It's ideal for short distance commuters that don't get out of town. But for those that even periodically need more than 150, it isn't at all a serious off, especially when the are affordable competitors that have much greater range. As you say, not the car for coast to coast trips. Nor for families that go to the beach or the lake. Nor those that have inconveniently long drives a few times a year or month. Nor those that drive to visit family upstate. Well, I guess in all those cases they can just rent the car they actually need.

its funny, I keep hearing the same arguments for almost every EV "it's all you need most of the time". Clearly, as manufacturers are pushing for greater and greater range, the hand waving hasn't worked.
    If the hand waving hasn't worked, how do you explain the demand for electric vehicles? They are all over these days. I know two people with gen 1 Leafs. Leaves?

anyway, its like people who say laptops are not viable due to limited performance. Tell that to the person who flies for a living. 
  • Reply 30 of 35
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:
    ireland said:

Closing in on entering my 4th decade of doing so, thanks. Pointing out their games isn't the same as not understanding them. 
    It is somewhat unrealistic to expect a manufacturer to define one of their 3 trim levels to match you exact specification. 
  • Reply 31 of 35
    polymnia said:
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:

If the hand waving hasn't worked, how do you explain the demand for electric vehicles? They are all over these days. I know two people with gen 1 Leafs. Leaves?

anyway, its like people who say laptops are not viable due to limited performance. Tell that to the person who flies for a living. 
    Demand is currently meh. I know quite a number of people with EVs. Every single one only has one because (a) it's a second car for the household and (b) government subsidies/rebates.

As range improves you won't need as much hand waving excuses nor will you need as much in subsidies to get people over the hump of having to concede utility.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    polymnia said:
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:
    ireland said:

It is somewhat unrealistic to expect a manufacturer to define one of their 3 trim levels to match you exact specification. 
    That's very true. Also very realistic to expect them to take one feature they know you want and use it as a hook to require you to spend much more on features you don't want. It's good business. No reason to pretend that's not what's happening. Just bite down on the bit and say thank you.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    The 150 mile version is targeted for Europe and Japan where ranges are shorter.  The model they expect to sell better in the US is the 300 mile one later in 2018.  These are EPA values.  The Japanese government testing shows a 249 mile range.

Comparing apple to apples in terms of features the Leaf is priced very competitively.  The biggest downside is that it doesn't offer CCS compatibility for charging.
    Soli
  • Reply 34 of 35
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:

Demand is currently meh. I know quite a number of people with EVs. Every single one only has one because (a) it's a second car for the household and (b) government subsidies/rebates.

As range improves you won't need as much hand waving excuses nor will you need as much in subsidies to get people over the hump of having to concede utility.
    I think we pretty much agree. I just don't characterize the fact that electric vehicles do not fit every possible application as failure of EVs to get traction. From where I sit, EVs are quite compelling for certain applications and people are responding to that. In other applications they aren't appropriate, and people stay away from them. 

I dont think EVs will ever completely replace internal combustion. And I don't see that as a problem, either. 

Choice is good.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:
    tulkas said:
    polymnia said:
    ireland said:

That's very true. Also very realistic to expect them to take one feature they know you want and use it as a hook to require you to spend much more on features you don't want. It's good business. No reason to pretend that's not what's happening. Just bite down on the bit and say thank you.
    I understand your point. Just remember they want to sell SV trim levels to my mom who barely carries her 8-year-old Nokia candybar phone with her when she drives. She's way more interested in safety features and creature comforts. So even though the trim levels are certainly driven to increase profitability, they have to include features that appeal to different types of customers at each level. Otherwise, only nerds would bother buying higher levels of trim.