Rumor: Photos show Foxconn shipping pallets of 'iPhone 8' units to Apple in USA

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
A pair of photos from China claim to show pallets of "iPhone 8" units boxed up to be sent to Apple in America, ahead of next Tuesday's highly anticipated unveiling at the Steve Jobs Theater.

The images posted by MyDrivers show nothing more than pallets being shipped through California-based company Morrison Express. The pictures are not high quality enough to offer a peek at the manifest, but it can be seen that the shipments are, in fact, air pallets for expedited delivery, and Morrison Express is Silicon Valley's favorite expediter.

The accompanying text claims the boxes, which also feature Chinese lettering, were photographed at Foxconn's Zhengzhou Technology Park -- one of the company's manufacturing "cities" in the Henan province, where over 100,000 people work on assembling devices like the iPhone.

The report suggested that employees at the Foxconn facility have begun to package and ship "iPhone 8" units to the United States, and that the images were discreetly taken despite strict confidentiality at the site. The pictures were first spotlighted by Techtastic.nl.

Given how early the units are allegedly shipping, it's possible that these models could be meant for demos or hands-on ahead of launch. Given Apple's past launch timeframes, it's likely that the "iPhone 8" will find its way into the hands of consumer starting on Friday, Sept. 22.

"iPhone 8" render. | Source: Gordon Kelly and Nodus

All will be confirmed next Tuesday, when Apple is expected to unveil a trio of new iPhones, headlined by a flagship, premium-priced model known colloquially as the "iPhone8." It is said to boast an edge-to-edge OLED display, as well as advanced facial recognition hardware and software, and a glass back with wireless charging.

Apple is also expected to introduce successors to the iPhone 7 lineup with faster processors and wireless charging, priced more traditionally for mass market appeal. A new "Series 3" Apple Watch and a more powerful Apple TV with 4K resolution and HDR support are also expected to be announced next week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Months of calling the iPhone Edition the wrong name "iPhone 8" is going to cause lots of confusion for average users who begin researching "iPhone 8" after next Tuesday, when iPhone 8 itself exists.

longpath
  • Reply 2 of 14
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Months of calling the iPhone Edition the wrong name "iPhone 8" is going to cause lots of confusion for average users who begin researching "iPhone 8" after next Tuesday, when iPhone 8 itself exists.

I would agree but the vast majority of potential iPhone buyers do not read websites like AI and will only start investigating the new iPhone when it's actually announced. Yes, if the next basic version is called iPhone 8 while the OLED version is called iPhone Edition, people will see old articles full of speculation about the OLED and think that's what they're getting, but they'll probably go first to apple.com to see what's been announced then to all the hate sites to see what's already wrong with it. The latter because that's what their Apple-hating friends will tell them to do.

I'll just watch the announcement next Tuesday, then read Apple's information on it. 
    Metriacanthosauruslongpathwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 14
    rob53 said:

I would agree but the vast majority of potential iPhone buyers do not read websites like AI and will only start investigating the new iPhone when it's actually announced. Yes, if the next basic version is called iPhone 8 while the OLED version is called iPhone Edition, people will see old articles full of speculation about the OLED and think that's what they're getting, but they'll probably go first to apple.com to see what's been announced then to all the hate sites to see what's already wrong with it. The latter because that's what their Apple-hating friends will tell them to do.

I'll just watch the announcement next Tuesday, then read Apple's information on it. 
    :D Yep. Exactly.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I hope I don't recieve my new iPhone from the bottom layer of that loaded stack ! ;-/
    frantisekjony0
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I get the feeling iPhone 8 will be plentiful. Anyone will be able to walk in on launch day and buy an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus. Mostly because all initial demand will be for iPhone Edition.

iPhone Edition probably won't be in stores anywhere on launch day. Launch day deliveries of pre-orders will occur, but likely only for people who manage to order within 5 minutes of pre-order going live. It will quickly slip to weeks and then months.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I agree this may turn into more of an issue than people realize, With the media tagging the product with a name ahead of the announcement will cause product confusion for Apple. Most consumers are not aware of most of the phone rumors, only after next week will they know there are new phones, and when they do the search will all the confusion will start.
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 7 of 14
    A pair of photos from China claim to show pallets of "iPhone 8" units boxed up to be sent to Apple in America, ahead of next Tuesday's highly anticipated unveiling at the Steve Jobs Theater.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a stack of pallets rather than pallets of 'iPhone 8' units.

Though, as a woodworker, I'd love to get my hands some of those particular pallets, with that provenance -- they'd be great to upcycle into rustic high-tech furniture such as: computer desk; bookcase; wall hanging; table, etc.

SpamSandwichlongpathjony0patchythepirateadyb
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a stack of pallets rather than pallets of 'iPhone 8' units.

Though, as a woodworker, I'd love to get my hands some of those particular pallets, with that provenance -- they'd be great to upcycle into rustic high-tech furniture such as: computer desk; bookcase; wall hanging; table, etc.

You can find those pallets just about anywhere. They look like the standard 48x40 pallet. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 14

You can find those pallets just about anywhere. They look like the standard 48x40 pallet. 
    Yeah, pallets just like that -- except the ones I'd like to get are the actual ones, hopefully with markings, that are used to ship Apple's new iPhones...

They'd be collector's items!

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Yes, old pallets with a lot of use are great. Old ones from the 70s were seemingly made of better wood than this now. At least that's how it seems to me. I worked summers st an American can manufacture running a can stacker or stamper in the mid 1980s. Fantastic pay for a student, the equivalent to 30 dollars an hour. Once produced 120 pallets of paint cans in a day , thats a hell of a lot of paint cans. Broke a record going back to th 1940s for this plant.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    "the images were discreetly taken despite strict confidentiality at the site" The 'discreet' DSLR also present definitely doesn't give the game away...
    radarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 14

Yeah, pallets just like that -- except the ones I'd like to get are the actual ones, hopefully with markings, that are used to ship Apple's new iPhones...

They'd be collector's items!

For those you have to bribe the Waste Management truck drivers that haul off the broken ones. ;)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Thanks for your wood-work photos very nice.

So the "Iphone 8" quote being alluded to being some important clue could either be from the report, the manifest or from the boxes. I'd only believe it on the box and it sounds like this just came from the report which could just be the writers interpretetion of what the next Iphone is called and the most obvious name (for someone not in the know) would be Iphone 8, I.e 8 comes after 7. However the way I see it ther are 3 possibilities for the naming of the 2 new phones:

Option A:
    iphone 7s
    iphone 8

Option B:
    iphone 7s
    iphone edition or x or pro

Option C:
    iphone 8
    iphone edition or x or pro

I think B is most likely as it's the only one that doesn't break current cycle naming conventions. What do you think?
    edited September 2017