Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater includes rotating elevators, retracting demo room wall

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    I wonder if it's big enough to demo -- and allow entry of -- a car (in 2020+), even if it's a manufacturing partner's car?

How about a self-piloting yacht?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I wonder if it's big enough to demo -- and allow entry of -- a car (in 2020+), even if it's a manufacturing partner's car?
    Despite Apple's penchant for secrecy, some things are simply too big to keep under wraps in the old way. Manufacturing an automobile would be one of them, as would being a company that needs to partner with automobile manufacturers to push their wares. We've have countless leaks from Apple partners in the past, and even the Apple TV nee iTV demo that I believe was done before they even had a proper name so they could convince content owners to get on board with their secure streaming media appliance and iTunes Store distribution model. They failed miserably to make the latter work like with the music industry because those studio execs are shortsighted peons, but they did make an unusually early announcement when they knew they had an uphill battle.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    The 2 elevators are clearly visible in the theatre plan: https://forums.appleinsider.com/uploads/editor/ds/4e0ov50cmmdx.jpeg
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I'm not sure if I'm following how the spinning elevator will work.  Does it mean I could ("could" in the imaginary sense that I'll ever be there) walk into the elevator and face the back wall.  Then, without me changing direction, as the elevator lowers the walls will move and once at the destination floor the door will be in front of me and I could just walk out?
    They are cylinders, according to the plans, so I would've assumed it worked like the 5th Avenue store, but I don't recall that one rotating, and the mechanism looks like a hydraulic mechanism. Perhaps this one will be a screw mechanism.
    Aren't you going to question whether they have the proper elevator permits for that? :wink: 
    LOL Speaking of, I'm pretty sure those have to be posted inside the elevator. That has to take away from having a beautiful glass structure to have some placard with some city document in it.

PS: Isn't anyone going to bash me for posting images of the Steve Jobs Theater architectural drawings because it must mean I'm questioning the structural integrity of the design?

It's on the verge of collapse.  :p
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Soli said:
    I'm not sure if I'm following how the spinning elevator will work.  Does it mean I could ("could" in the imaginary sense that I'll ever be there) walk into the elevator and face the back wall.  Then, without me changing direction, as the elevator lowers the walls will move and once at the destination floor the door will be in front of me and I could just walk out?
    They are cylinders, according to the plans, so I would've assumed it worked like the 5th Avenue store, but I don't recall that one rotating, and the mechanism looks like a hydraulic mechanism. Perhaps this one will be a screw mechanism.

So, do you think it will be the floor that rotates?  That way, rather than having to walk in, turn myself around to face the door and then walk out again, I would instead walk in, stand still, floor rotates around so I'm once again facing the door and then I can walk out?
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Fascinating! According to a Bloomberg reporter, reported by The Verge, the dotted semi circle in the exhibit space, seen on the blueprint, will in fact be a movable wall, concealing products until after onstage keynote. 
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/6/16262142/apple-steve-jobs-theater-secret-exhibit-room
    Soli
  • Reply 27 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Aren't you going to question whether they have the proper elevator permits for that? :wink: 
    LOL Speaking of, I'm pretty sure those have to be posted inside the elevator. That has to take away from having a beautiful glass structure to have some placard with some city document in it.

PS: Isn't anyone going to bash me for posting images of the Steve Jobs Theater architectural drawings because it must mean I'm questioning the structural integrity of the design?

It's on the verge of collapse.  :p
    Apple is Doomed!™

Soli said:

So, do you think it will be the floor that rotates?  That way, rather than having to walk in, turn myself around to face the door and then walk out again, I would instead walk in, stand still, floor rotates around so I'm once again facing the door and then I can walk out?
    I don't have enough knowledge to even suggest a hypothesis that I think is mostly likely.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Fascinating! According to a Bloomberg reporter, reported by The Verge, the dotted semi circle in the exhibit space, seen on the blueprint, will in fact be a movable wall, concealing products until after onstage keynote. 
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/6/16262142/apple-steve-jobs-theater-secret-exhibit-room
    Agreed! This building is such an amazing design. I originally thought that the product demos would be atop, but after realizing there was that large circular space underneath it seemed pretty clear to me that they'd at least have a retracting curtain along there. It makes perfect sense from an experience standpoint. Everyone walking down those staircases will know that just next to them are the products Apple is going to announce. The elevators will (apparently) twist down and drop people off just at the back end of that wall/curtain. It should definitely build some suspense. I need to get on periscope or something. I want to know what it's like walking down those steps!

I assume Apple is going to keep the top area clear, maybe with some banners hanging from the ceiling (but not too far down).

I don't know much about stage design, but doesn't the back stage area seem incredibly large? Even for potential future car unveiling it seems big.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Soli said:

I would guess that the whole cylinder rotates, willy wonka style, so that you have a steady handrail to grab onto as you're spinning (if only for the psychological comfort).
  • Reply 30 of 33
    It would really be cool if it could move laterally like the turbolift in Star Trek.
    mnbob1
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Call me Ishmael, but a single point of entry or exit is unsafe from an emergency perspective. If the theater were full and suddenly people needed to immediately exit, you don't want 1,000 people rushing for one exit.
    Oh dear lord. Debbie Downer is back in town...

I’m sure they’ve thought of these things. In fact I’m sure there’s building code for these things.
    mnbob1
  • Reply 32 of 33
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    That's what I thought how it would work, reading from the lines. You go in first, and you go out first, facing the same direction as you go in even though it's the other door that's open, because... well, rotation.