Apple recruits four TV executives to growing video team, offers hints at future programmin...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    All filmed and produced using iPhones and iPads, of course.  
    When you HEAR the finished product, don 't complain. You asked for it.
    TV shows that use an iphone to record video have a separate audio recording system. 
    And a clapperboard for sync!

• Reply 22 of 34
    nht said:
    Non-issue:

https://www.rode.com/ixlr

http://tascam.com/product/ixz/

http://tascam.com/product/ixr/

You can edit the final product on LumaFusion with 3 video/audio tracks + 3 audio tracks.
    I know. I was just playing along with what I assume was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that original programming be shot with iDevices.

I'd probably substitute Schoeps and Sound Devices for Rode and Tascam, but then I'd probably replace the iPhone with a Red or Arri or whatever so your examples are more consistent with the theme!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    nht said:
    Non-issue:

You can edit the final product on LumaFusion with 3 video/audio tracks + 3 audio tracks.
    I know. I was just playing along with what I assume was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that original programming be shot with iDevices.

I'd probably substitute Schoeps and Sound Devices for Rode and Tascam, but then I'd probably replace the iPhone with a Red or Arri or whatever so your examples are more consistent with the theme!
    RED would be a good acquisition for Apple, IMO. Jim Jannard has already done all the hard work and Apple could simply continue to iterate and improve.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    nht said:
    Non-issue:

RED would be a good acquisition for Apple, IMO. Jim Jannard has already done all the hard work and Apple could simply continue to iterate and improve.
    I know less than zero about how that would work out financially, but it doesn't strike me as consistent with Apple's product direction. Apple's product emphasis seem to be less and less about high-end/pro (for lack of a better description) and more and more about high-quality items for the discriminating consumer of mainstream products.

If the Mac Pro doesn't sell well enough to justify a lot of attention anymore (recent promises notwithstanding), I can't imagine a production camera that sells in comparatively minuscule numbers would capture Cupertino's imagination.

I could be wrong though. It's been known to happen from time to all the time.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    TV shows that use an iphone to record video have a separate audio recording system. 
    Why? It's just a guide track, since all the dialog is replaced later anyway.  :D
  • Reply 26 of 34
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Based on the very little I have seen of Apple productions so far I get a bad taste in my mouth. The planet of the apps looked fucking awful. I only watched one episode but talk about dreary. I have seen s couple of trailers for carpool karaoke and it looks like they just missed the point altogether. Slick shooting, clever angles and fast cutting is exactly what this kind of show does NOT need. I really don't think it is the kind of production that can 'scale up'. I hope I am proven wrong but I don't think so. 
  • Reply 27 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    paxman said:
    Based on the very little I have seen of Apple productions so far I get a bad taste in my mouth. The planet of the apps looked fucking awful. I only watched one episode but talk about dreary. I have seen s couple of trailers for carpool karaoke and it looks like they just missed the point altogether. Slick shooting, clever angles and fast cutting is exactly what this kind of show does NOT need. I really don't think it is the kind of production that can 'scale up'. I hope I am proven wrong but I don't think so. 
    You're complaining about "fast cuttings" in a trailer for a half-hour series? Can you show me to what you refer in this full clip from a single segment of one episode?

• Reply 28 of 34
    Soli said:
    paxman said:
    You're complaining about "fast cuttings" in a trailer for a half-hour series? Can you show me to what you refer in this full clip from a single segment of one episode?

Well, you are right. It's better than I though and it is funny, but the cutting and angles still bug me. The frequent cutting into cu gives the clip a more produced feel which detracts from the  sense of spontaneity. Cuts are ok and necessary of course  but the types of cuts and hits matter. I am not sure if people will notice or care, but I used to do this for a living and I notice and care. In the end it matters nought what I think. I hope it is a success. 
  • Reply 29 of 34
    paxman said:
    Soli said:
    paxman said:

Well, you are right. It's better than I though and it is funny, but the cutting and angles still bug me. The frequent cutting into cu gives the clip a more produced feel which detracts from the  sense of spontaneity. Cuts are ok and necessary of course  but the types of cuts and hits matter. I am not sure if people will notice or care, but I used to do this for a living and I notice and care. In the end it matters nought what I think. I hope it is a success. 
    1) I know nothing about what job was and I'm glad since being bothered by camera angles changing would ruin everything I watch.

2) I'd keep in mind that this is a vehicle to push Apple Music. That's pretty much it. That's why the two youngest starlets from HBO's most popular series had an episode. Others will get it because of their name, and others because they're pushing an album. It's all about getting Apple Music more attention. Guess what? For me, it worked. I just signed up for my 90 day free access last week. Yes, that means in all this time that I could've tried out Apple Music for free since it debuted I never did it until Carpool Karaoke aired, and specifically because I found them doing Sean Bean's voice was hysterical.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Soli said:
    paxman said:
    Soli said:
    paxman said:

1) I know nothing about what job was and I'm glad since being bothered by camera angles changing would ruin everything I watch.

2) I'd keep in mind that this is a vehicle to push Apple Music. That's pretty much it. That's why the two youngest starlets from HBO's most popular series had an episode. Others will get it because of their name, and others because they're pushing an album. It's all about getting Apple Music more attention. Guess what? For me, it worked. I just signed up for my 90 day free access last week. Yes, that means in all this time that I could've tried out Apple Music for free since it debuted I never did it until Carpool Karaoke aired, and specifically because I found them doing Sean Bean's voice was hysterical.
    1) It can get in the way, no question, but a good story trumps all. More than ruin everything it tends just to add a dimension. But there have been movies where virtuoso direction and camera moves have really pissed me off. There is a very basic rule of thumb which is that nothing should draw attention to itself. In other words don't show off because it detracts from the core content. But we are so media savvy these days that lines are blurred. Sometimes a cool camera move can impress on its own and at the same time be justified in terms of the story. Many stylistic approaches seem odd at first but after a while become second nature. So I am generally open and agree that I was too quick to judge.

2) I have never questioned Apples marketing savvy. They are so focussed and are not scared of dropping anything that does not support their end goal. I am forever impressed by Apple's holistic approach to business in which marketing plays a central role (marketing in the good sense of the word). There are many marketing campaigns I have not liked but that doesn't stop me from appreciating them. I used to hate the voice of Jeff Goldblum (smug), but visually the ads were brilliant and the minimalist approach was genius. 

So how do you find Apple music? It still baffles me at times but my kids love it and they are far more avid users than me. They have large libraries on their phones (limited data), and they seem able to manage better than me. :)
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Is it possible we'll see partnerships in streaming video/music? Apple Music+ Apple TV + Netflix + ESPN for one monthly price would be fine for me. Don't know how technically feasible this is. Financially, it makes more sense than numerous separate streaming services.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    paxman said:
    So how do you find Apple music? It still baffles me at times but my kids love it and they are far more avid users than me. They have large libraries on their phones (limited data), and they seem able to manage better than me. :)
    Except for watching the episode of Carpool Karaoke that I posted I haven't used it. I'm still use SiriusXM and Spotify.

PS: I dislike that so much of the Music app on iOS is dedicated to Apple Music. I miss being able to adjust the icons on the bottom from a list.

PPS: Business idea for someone… I see people posting links to Spotify and Apple Music, mostly, along with playlists. It would be nice to have a website aggregate that would take one and repackage it so that you post that website's link and then whatever streaming music service you use will then open your account and then push you to the service you prefer.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    nht said:
    Non-issue:

I know less than zero about how that would work out financially, but it doesn't strike me as consistent with Apple's product direction. Apple's product emphasis seem to be less and less about high-end/pro (for lack of a better description) and more and more about high-quality items for the discriminating consumer of mainstream products.

If the Mac Pro doesn't sell well enough to justify a lot of attention anymore (recent promises notwithstanding), I can't imagine a production camera that sells in comparatively minuscule numbers would capture Cupertino's imagination.

I could be wrong though. It's been known to happen from time to all the time.
    As I see it, Apple is about making unobtainable luxury items more attainable. They're not cheap junk, to be sure, but they are things and services that would be unimaginable not so long ago, largely at reasonable prices considering the value to the customer.