Disney to keep Marvel & Star Wars movies exclusive to its streaming service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    bitmod said:
    I sense more pirating and lower profits for all. 
    Why do these corporations never learn? 
    Pirates don't need an excuse to pirate.
    There are skinflints who refuse to pay for anything they could possibly get for free, sure.

Most people aren't that dedicated. They will go with whatever route requires the least effort. If there is a lazy way to pay money and get a high-quality product, people will take it. This is one of the reasons Ultraviolet hasn't really taken off in spite of the studios pushing it heavily. The friction of interaction is too high. It's harder to understand, harder to buy things, harder to watch the things you've bought. A large number of people will probably be unwilling to deal with signing up for yet another account and paying yet another subscription.

We see this effect in security all the time. People are the weakest link in any security system. We don't actively try to compromise it, but we're fundamentally lazy. Require monthly password changes? We respond by creating extremely predictable passwords and reusing them for many accounts, which massively lowers security. If you can make the right option also the lazy option, people will take it almost all the time.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 30
    jsmythe00 said:
    bitmod said:
    I sense more pirating and lower profits for all. 
    Why do these corporations never learn? 
    For sure. There's no way I'm running 4-6 individual subscriptions 

Disney for starwars
    HBO for game of thrones
    netflix for the orig content
    Starz for this
    showtime for that

i cut the cord a long time ago and will cut paid subscriptions real soon if they keep this up. 
    What did you expect was going to happen? Cord cutters wanted a la carte programming and now content providers are doing that through paid subscriptions. Now all the cord cutters are complaining about the cost. It was pretty obvious all along it was going to be more expensive having a bunch of individual subscriptions to content versus having a cable subscription. 
  • Reply 23 of 30
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    I feel betrayed by an industry that isn't honoring my demand for one service that has all media ever created for $15 a month. I haven't felt this way since Columbia House said I could get a lot of books, music, and video for a penny, and then they jacked up the price!
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Nope. Not going to invest in yet another service. Goodbye Marvel and Star Wars and Disney, streaming.

Not being cheap. I have enough bills and services to keep up with. I want an uncomplicated life.

The future is one service for all. I would gladly pay $100 a month for Netflix if it had Everything-ish.

edited September 2017
  • Reply 25 of 30
    mac_128 said:
    Time for Apple to secretly buy Disney-Lucasfilm-Marvel-Pixar. Make 'em a good offer, Tim.
    Nope. The time for that was a few years ago. Disney is burning every one of their franchises to the ground, milking them for all they're worth, and turning out garbage quality. They are not a good long term buy.
    Sounds like a perfect fit for Apple  :#
    How on earth do you mean? Apple is famous for its quality hardware and beloved operating systems, is considered conservative or slow in changing them, and scores very favorably in consumer satisfaction ratings. The recent iphone 7 is the single best selling smartphone. 
  • Reply 26 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    mac_128 said:
    Time for Apple to secretly buy Disney-Lucasfilm-Marvel-Pixar. Make 'em a good offer, Tim.
    Nope. The time for that was a few years ago. Disney is burning every one of their franchises to the ground, milking them for all they're worth, and turning out garbage quality. They are not a good long term buy.
    Sounds like a perfect fit for Apple  :#
    How on earth do you mean? Apple is famous for its quality hardware and beloved operating systems, is considered conservative or slow in changing them, and scores very favorably in consumer satisfaction ratings. The recent iphone 7 is the single best selling smartphone. 
    From the smiley, I think the comment was somewhat tongue in cheek.

It made me smile anyway.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    NemWan said:
    I feel betrayed by an industry that isn't honoring my demand for one service that has all media ever created for $15 a month. I haven't felt this way since Columbia House said I could get a lot of books, music, and video for a penny, and then they jacked up the price!
    Ten-thousand channels for one penny for the first year, then $4,999.99/year for the second year of the unbreakable two-year contract.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 28 of 30
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    This is smart for Disney.  Parents these days will pony-up anything for their spoiled little brats.  Parents are used to giving up any sense of their personal humanity for the sake of their entitled children, just another task to check off as their ferry them to soccer, band, tennis, cheerleading, gymnastics practice, etc.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    badmonk said:
    This is smart for Disney.  Parents these days will pony-up anything for their spoiled little brats.  Parents are used to giving up any sense of their personal humanity for the sake of their entitled children, just another task to check off as their ferry them to soccer, band, tennis, cheerleading, gymnastics practice, etc.
    "But daddy, I want an Oompaloompa and I want it NOW!"
    edited September 2017