Leaks reveal how the iPhone X notch is expected to work

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
The iOS 11 GM leaked firmware provides details into how the screen will accommodate the notch at the "forehead" of the iPhone X screen, including moving wireless signal information to the right side of the status bar.

The iPhone X has a nearly bezel-less display, and uses a notch that extends down from the top of the screen for cameras, proximity sensors, and the earpiece speaker. Developer Guilherme Rambo appears to have found how the screen will draw common interface items around the notch.

There's a nice little animation when you connect it to power pic.twitter.com/GFimRxbCAm

-- Guilherme Rambo (@_inside)

The firmware hacked by Rambo shows the clock on the left of the notch, and wireless signal and battery life to the right. Also, there's now an animation triggered by connecting a charger, where the non-charged battery icon turns green and scales up.

Developer Stephen Troughton-Smith has also put together mockups showing what the scaled up battery looks like with the notch rendered in, and the addition of a red rounded rectangle background for the clock when an application is recording. By comparison, in iOS 10 and previous, the status bar at the top of the phone would turn red to indicate recording.

Here's what the double height' statusbar looks like -- screen recording, or in-call. The ears are interactive pic.twitter.com/bdacrEYMCw

-- Steve T-S (@stroughtonsmith)

We'll have more information as it happens, and live coverage from the Steve Jobs Theater on Tuesday, Sept. 12, at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    You'd think the screen recording and in-call status would be more illustrative than either a red or green text bubble including current time...
    Maybe include a tiny icon in the bubble, like an iPhone for screen recording and an analog phone for in-call. Food for thought.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This image isn't inspiring.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You'd think the screen recording and in-call status would be more illustrative than either a red or green text bubble including current time...
    Maybe include a tiny icon in the bubble, like an iPhone for screen recording and an analog phone for in-call. Food for thought.
    The minimum information required. I know I’m on a call. I know I’m recording the screen. And then the lozenge shape suggests it can be tapped, to return to phone app or stop screen recording—which of course it can. It’s not perfect, nothing is, but it’s certainly an interesting solution.

The design of the network activity alert is a very clever use of limited vertical space.
    edited September 2017 StrangeDays