Apple's iPhone X & iPhone 8 Plus to come with 3GB of RAM, iPhone 8 with 2GB

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ... I know people with an iPhone 6 who really feel the limitation of only having 1GB RAM....
    I have an iPhone 6 Plus, and I don't really know about the limitation. My battery life is still pretty good, too. I'm not likely to upgrade because of money and such, but I'm not really dissatisfied with what I've got. I previously used a 3GS for 5 years and I don't see why this iPhone 6 Plus couldn't last just as long. I don't think there's a whole lot of apps that won't run on this phone yet.
    Did the 6 Plus only get 1GB RAM? I know a lot of people on AI like to snark about this (and I remember seeing many a post defending 1GB RAM as good enough) but I can only go by what others have told me their experience is plus what I recently experienced using an iPad mini 3. It wasn’t that a specific app no longer worked it was that things weren’t buttery smooth. Overall slowness and lag. Apple likes to tout older devices getting software updates but it’s not so great when there’s performance degradation. My guess is it has more to do with RAM than the A-series chips which have been beasts for many years now.
    1) The iPhone 6 series had 1 GiB RAM, and the 1Phone 6s series received 2 GiB RAM the next year.

2) The only time that RAM has ever been a real issue for me is the original iPad where Safari would reload pages even after just switching tabs within the app. It did only have 256 MiB RAM.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    ... I know people with an iPhone 6 who really feel the limitation of only having 1GB RAM....
    I have an iPhone 6 Plus, and I don't really know about the limitation. My battery life is still pretty good, too. I'm not likely to upgrade because of money and such, but I'm not really dissatisfied with what I've got. I previously used a 3GS for 5 years and I don't see why this iPhone 6 Plus couldn't last just as long. I don't think there's a whole lot of apps that won't run on this phone yet.
    Did the 6 Plus only get 1GB RAM? I know a lot of people on AI like to snark about this (and I remember seeing many a post defending 1GB RAM as good enough) but I can only go by what others have told me their experience is plus what I recently experienced using an iPad mini 3. It wasn’t that a specific app no longer worked it was that things weren’t buttery smooth. Overall slowness and lag. Apple likes to tout older devices getting software updates but it’s not so great when there’s performance degradation. My guess is it has more to do with RAM than the A-series chips which have been beasts for many years now.

Agree completely with you on this. Another important point to note - Apple gives its absolute best with A-series chips for that year. Not so with RAM, should be all the more reason for feeling short-changed with. My iPad Air has become really slow, with iOS 10. It was near perfect with iOS7. It should have had more than 1GB RAM, for sure.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Soli said:
    1) The iPhone 6 series had 1 GiB RAM, and the 1Phone 6s series received 2 GiB RAM the next year.

2) The only time that RAM has ever been a real issue for me is the original iPad where Safari would reload pages even after just switching tabs within the app. It did only have 256 MiB RAM.
    True, but even 3GB RAM chips were available when iPhone 6 series phones were launched. So there is really no excuse for crippling those devices with 1GB RAM.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:

True, but even 3GB RAM chips were available when iPhone 6 series phones were launched. So there is really no excuse for crippling those devices with 1GB RAM.
    Battery. 
    Soliwilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Avieshek said:
    On the camera front, I'm glad Apple has not committed to the megapixel arms race. The same 12 MP count in this year's iPhone lineup ought to be class-lending, once again. I wonder what technical wizardry Apple will announce that keeps themselves far out in front of the competition?
    Will just add Optical-Image-Stabilisation to the Telephoto-lens. 
    And improved computational photography thanks to new software.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Soli said:

Oh, there are plenty of reasons why Apple doesn’t abide by the “if it exists then include it” notion popular amongst sideline engineers.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:

Battery. 

Nope, that is NOT a valid argument either. iPhone SE with all of 1600 mAh battery has 2GB RAM, while iPhone 6 Plus with 2900 mAh battery (close to double) has 1 GB RAM. How do you "explain" that? There is NO way adding 1 GB more to a phone will significantly degrade the battery life of the phone that it is given a no-go, particularly for RAM starved iPhones that we are talking about.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Oh, there are plenty of reasons why Apple doesn’t abide by the “if it exists then include it” notion popular amongst sideline engineers.

Not a valid argument again. As @Rogifan_new nailed it in his comment - the amount of RAM for a phone should be decided based on " how many software updates Apple expects the device to get". If you have ANY valid argument against this point, please feel free to mention it explicitly. Any other argument like "Apple knows better", "Apple has sold 200 million iPhone 6 series, so they are right" ARE not valid arguments. There are plenty of reasons why iPhones sell well compared to competition. Less RAM, less battery life are NOT among those. It is "despite" those drawbacks AND due to other bigger advantages that iPhones have compared to competition that they are selling extra ordinarily well. That does NOT mean Apple should NOT strive to improve on deficiencies. Far from it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Rayz2016 said:
    Battery. 

Nope, that is NOT a valid argument either. iPhone SE with all of 1600 mAh battery has 2GB RAM, while iPhone 6 Plus with 2900 mAh battery (close to double) has 1 GB RAM. How do you "explain" that? There is NO way adding 1 GB more to a phone will significantly degrade the battery life of the phone that it is given a no-go, particularly for RAM starved iPhones that we are talking about.
    iPhone 6: Memory 1 GB LPDDR3 RAM
    iPhone SE:  Memory 2 GB LPDDR4 RAM

Big difference in battery performance.
    "LPDDR4 capable of transmitting data at 3,200 Mbit/s per pin, thus providing 50 percent higher performance than the fastest LPDDR3 and consuming around 40 percent less energy at 1.1 volts."
    Soli
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Not a valid argument again. As @Rogifan_new nailed it in his comment - the amount of RAM for a phone should be decided based on " how many software updates Apple expects the device to get". If you have ANY valid argument against this point, please feel free to mention it explicitly. Any other argument like "Apple knows better", "Apple has sold 200 million iPhone 6 series, so they are right" ARE not valid arguments. There are plenty of reasons why iPhones sell well compared to competition. Less RAM, less battery life are NOT among those. It is "despite" those drawbacks AND due to other bigger advantages that iPhones have compared to competition that they are selling extra ordinarily well. That does NOT mean Apple should NOT strive to improve on deficiencies. Far from it.
    OK, here's something very explicit: Using the number of updates a device may receive over its supported lifespan as a guide for how much RAM a device should receive as a minimum is the dumbest thing I think I've ever read on this forum. So far, we've seen between 9 to 11 beta OS updates since WWDC, so based on our quoted text of "how many software updates Apple expects the device to get" the one that got 11 beta updates should get more RAM or a higher percentage bump (you never stated anything explicit) because of a raw value of the number of updates.

So Apple releases x.1, as they often do, and then a day later releases x.1.1 because there was a critical bug found, as often happens, you somehow expect Apple to plan for that years in advance and give the device more RAM to correct something that may not have nothing to do with the RAM, but could be an update that makes the system more RAM efficient. You and Rogifan's entire system is merely based on the number of times the fucking OS gets updated so you'd argue that if the iPhone 8 only get 2 GiB RAM that it means that Apple should pull an Android stop supporting the device the next year? Do you not see how explicitly inexplicable that method would be?

PS: I only focused on Apple's OS updates but you didn't explicitly state it was OS updates. This could also be carrier updates and App Store updates. Certainly when games are updated the can end up using more resources than previously, so I really should've assumed that you would also include every time Facebook and Dropbox, and millions of other apps are updated.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Soli said:
    If accurate, and I assume it is, I look forward to people bitching and moaning about Apple not giving them 4 GiB RAM¡
    I'm just *really* glad the whole line didn't move to 3GB, or we know what that would mean for all of us 2GB iDevice folks.rogifan_new said:
    My mother has an iPad mini 3 running the latest software. I was using it the other day and boy was it painful compared to my iPad Pro with 4GB RAM. Pretty much everything I did on it was slow and/or janky. I know people with an iPhone 6 who really feel the limitation of only having 1GB RAM. I really wish Apple wasn’t so stingy with RAM. It seems as though they do the bare minimum. I think the amount of RAM should be based on how many software updates Apple expects the device to get. IPhone 8 with 3GB and iPhone X (or whatever they call it) should have 4GB. That would expand the life of these devices. And certainly Apple’s software and hardware teams could figure out how to manage/preserve battery life with more RAM.
    Yep, that seems to be the big factor in a device being current/usable. So long as the main models have the same amount of RAM as your iDevice, it should work reasonably well. Once the line moves to more RAM, it won't be long before you can't upgrade the OS and apps, or won't want to.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

OK, here's something very explicit: Using the number of updates a device may receive over its supported lifespan as a guide for how much RAM a device should receive as a minimum is the dumbest thing I think I've ever read on this forum. So far, we've seen between 9 to 11 beta OS updates since WWDC, so based on our quoted text of "how many software updates Apple expects the device to get" the one that got 11 beta updates should get more RAM or a higher percentage bump (you never stated anything explicit) because of a raw value of the number of updates.

So Apple releases x.1, as they often do, and then a day later releases x.1.1 because there was a critical bug found, as often happens, you somehow expect Apple to plan for that years in advance and give the device more RAM to correct something that may not have nothing to do with the RAM, but could be an update that makes the system more RAM efficient. You and Rogifan's entire system is merely based on the number of times the fucking OS gets updated so you'd argue that if the iPhone 8 only get 2 GiB RAM that it means that Apple should pull an Android stop supporting the device the next year? Do you not see how explicitly inexplicable that method would be?

PS: I only focused on Apple's OS updates but you didn't explicitly state it was OS updates. This could also be carrier updates and App Store updates. Certainly when games are updated the can end up using more resources than previously, so I really should've assumed that you would also include every time Facebook and Dropbox, and millions of other apps are updated.

So, the best that you can indulge in is "word play", even though you do "understand" what we are talking about. That clearly shows you don't have ANY valid argument in favor of Apple crippling iPhones with less RAM.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

So, the best that you can indulge in is "word play", even though you do "understand" what we are talking about. That clearly shows you don't have ANY valid argument in favor of Apple crippling iPhones with less RAM.
    1) You're the one that wanted explicitly without being explicit.

2) You conveniently or foolishly ignored all the other ways in which power is used in the device; instead you tried to draw some ridiculous 1:1 comparison between battery and RAM capacity.