Apple's new iPhone X folio case wakes/sleeps handset like iPad Smart Cover

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
Apple in an update to its website on Tuesday unveiled a new folio style case for iPhone X, and in doing so revealed the forthcoming flagship handset boasts n integrated Hall sensor that can be used to wake and sleep the device like an iPad Smart Cover.

Called the iPhone X Leather Folio, Apple's new case is a new design for the company, which has until now marketed slip-on covers for its smartphone lineup.

Aside from a book-like format, the folio case features an automatic wake/sleep function identical to that of iPad's Smart Cover and Smart Case lines.

"Open it and your iPhone X wakes up. Close it and it goes to sleep," Apple says.

Evidence of a Hall effect sensor was first discovered in last week's iOS 11 GM leak. It appears Apple integrated the sensor into the side-mounted sleep/wake button, which is much larger than those found in previous iPhone models.

Hall effect sensors vary output voltages in response to magnetic fields. In modern consumer electronics, these specialized components are often used to detect and react to the presence of a nearby object. For example, when the Hall effect sensor in an iPad detects magnets embedded in a Smart Cover, it wakes or sleeps the tablet.

The folio case features a microfiber interior and enough space to hold bills, small notes, and several cards, Apple says. Further, the case is apparently radio transparent, as the company says users can keep it on the phone while charging wirelessly.

Apple's iPhone X Leather Folio costs $99 and comes in Cosmos Blue, taupe, black and berry. The item is currently unavailable, though stock should begin popping up as iPhone X's November launch date nears.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    And what about using it with wireless charging?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    pvonk said:
    And what about using it with wireless charging?
    The description of the product says that it will charge wirelessly while still in the case.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I've been wondering when they'd get around to doing this. I think I'd prefer a Smart Cover, though. I like the back of the iPhone to be visible. Not so much for bragging rights, but because they usually look pretty.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    I occasionally use a leather folio style case on my current iPhone 6+. It's okay but somewhat clumsy for taking photos. The third-party leather folio case I have also creates a hazy fog on the screen of the phone when I store the phone in my pocket and I'm constantly having to wipe it down. The heat from my pocket must cause the leather or plastic used for the card holder sleeve to out-gas something that causes the screen smearing. Maybe mine was made from Mad Cow. Anyway, may want to see how other people do with this case before shelling out a hundred bucks.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    dewme said:
    I occasionally use a leather folio style case on my current iPhone 6+. It's okay but somewhat clumsy for taking photos. The third-party leather folio case I have also creates a hazy fog on the screen of the phone when I store the phone in my pocket and I'm constantly having to wipe it down. The heat from my pocket must cause the leather or plastic used for the card holder sleeve to out-gas something that causes the screen smearing. Maybe mine was made from Mad Cow. Anyway, may want to see how other people do with this case before shelling out a hundred bucks.  

It could be as simple as the microfibre/felt/whatever inside cover to protect the screen acts as a condensation trigger for your sweat, depending on which pocket you keep it in, and how warm it gets, of course.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    any credit card slots? like 2-3?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Weird they only show the back, even on Apple's page. Maybe the front won't be done until 2018! 
    hagar[Deleted User]
  • Reply 8 of 11
    rezwits said:
    any credit card slots? like 2-3?
    Just an Apple Pay slot.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 9 of 11
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Weird they only show the back, even on Apple's page. Maybe the front won't be done until 2018! 
    Weird indeed. How does it wrap around the edges?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Looks like there is a picture of the front here, all the way down the page, second image to last:
    https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Looks nice, but I hope they make one that isn't leather. For a company that was run for years by a vegan, they sure use a lot of leather.