Apple intros urBeats3 headphones & cheaper Apple TV Siri Remote

Posted:
in iPhone
While flying under the radar compared with bigger hardware announcements, Apple on Tuesday launched new Beats headphones -- the urBeats3 -- and a slightly tweaked Siri Remote, most remarkable for its lower price tag.

The urBeats3 is a set of wired earbuds, bundled with multiple eartips and optional "wingtips" for a secure fit. Other features include an inline remote, and magnets in each bud, which allow them to stick together.

The product lacks an Apple W1 or W2 wireless chip, but does come in two versions -- one with a Lightning connector for Apple products, and another with a 3.5mm plug for a broader range of devices. The former is available in black, gold, or silver, while 3.5mm colors include black, blue, gray, or white.

The urBeats3 will ship sometime this fall for $99.95.

Design-wise, the new Siri Remote is distinguished only by a white circle around the "Menu" button, which may make it easier to find in the dark and figure out at a glance which side is up. There are no signs of any haptic feedback, which was hinted at in the iOS 11 GM.

The accessory costs $59 though, making it a full $20 cheaper than its predecessor. Owners of the fourth-generation Apple TV have complained about the cost of replacing the remote, a particular problem given its fragility.

Apple lists the product as "currently unavailable," but it will presumably be in stock by the time the Apple TV 4K ships on Sept. 22.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Accordingly to developer resources the new Siri remote, "now provides motion data for attitude and rotation rate." Yes, "attitude," that's not a typo. Tell me what that means, please. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I usually like Apple's design approach ... but this remote leaves plenty of room for improvement. Lets start with making it NOT square ...
    zroger73
  • Reply 3 of 12
    oh ya, and then maybe place the buttons NOT in the middle of it ...
    zroger73
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Accordingly to developer resources the new Siri remote, "now provides motion data for attitude and rotation rate." Yes, "attitude," that's not a typo. Tell me what that means, please. 
    "Attitude" also means "orientation". Feel free to consult a dictionary.
    zroger73kingofsomewherehotbrian greenjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Great. Well done. Now I know what's top and bottom ...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    They could have added features and kept the same price tag.

An M-processor, Taptic Engine and 3D Touch at the least.

wireless charging, Find My remote(with speaker), Touch ID and opening the lightning port for 3rd party accessories would have been nice extras.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I really want the the touch part to turn off when its not being held. I hate that I can't pick up the remote without a menu popping up. Even a .5 second delay would fix the issues I have with the current remote.

I was surprised by the AI comment on the remote being fragile. My 2 year old knocks it across the room all the time. I didn't know they were breaking easy for some people.
    calikirkgraywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    The orientation of your attitude is so pleasant. /s
  • Reply 9 of 12
    By analogy, pilots have an attitude indicator, as well as an altitude indicator (altimeter). The attitude indicator shows the orientation of the airplane.
    doozydozenbrian greenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Is it just the lighting on the product photo here or has the back of the Siri remote gone from shiny SS to matt-grey or white plastic? That might explain the cheaper price, if that's the case.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 11 of 12
    My ATV4 remote barely lasted a year. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Yes, pertaining to aircraft relative to a direction. The Siri remote is not an aeroplane.