Apple's iPhone 8 pre-orders will start at 12:01 a.m. Pacific time on Friday

Posted:
in iPhone
This Friday's iPhone 8 preorders will start at 12:01 a.m. Pacific time, or 3:01 a.m. Eastern, Apple has confirmed via its website.

The time is consistent with Apple's normal iPhone strategy, and will likely see many U.S. shoppers staying up late to ensure they get an order delivered on the phone's Sept. 22 ship date. Frequently, launch-day iPhone stocks will run out within hours or even minutes of pre-orders beginning, though later orders may still ship the same weekend.

People wanting to buy through Apple will be able go to the company's website, or else use the Apple Store app for iPhones and iPads.

When pre-orders begin shoppers will have to select an iPhone 8 or 8 Plus, then one of four major carriers (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon), or else opt to go SIM-free and activate on their own. Finally people will have to pick a silver, gold, or space gray model, then choose 64 or 256 gigabytes of storage.

Most people will have to pay upfront, with costs starting at $699 for a 64-gigabyte standard iPhone 8. Customers in the iPhone Upgrade Program -- which offers a new iPhone every 12 months, along with AppleCare+ -- will have to pay at least $34.50 per month on top of trading in their previous iPhone.

To check for upgrade eligibility, Apple is offering two methods: using an Apple ID, or the combination of a iPhone's serial number and IMEI. The company suggests that the Apple Store app is the fastest method for Upgrade Program subscribers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Every iPhone except probably 3gs had a major selling point like retina display, siri, larger screen, touch id, water resistance, dual cam...

What is it in iPhone 8 that makes it must have? wireless charging? really?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jason98 said:
    Every iPhone except probably 3gs had a major selling point like retina display, siri, larger screen, touch id, water resistance, dual cam…
    The iPhone 8 series also has major selling points, and I thought they did a great job explaining how this is great annual leap over the iPhone 7 series, but you can you can always check out their website to see simple details as to how it's better than the previous year's model.

If there was no iPhone X this year the iPhone 8 would still be a great update to the iPhone line.

sog35 said:
    Why can't it be 7PM Pac time?  
    Worst. Logic. Ever. Why even make a statement that implies that it can't be whatever time Apple wishes it to be. Clearly they have their reasons. Why not try to see it from their perspective? Longest pre-order time for that business day, lower internet congestion for pre-order rush, or something else?

sog35 said:
    jason98 said:
    Every iPhone except probably 3gs had a major selling point like retina display, siri, larger screen, touch id, water resistance, dual cam...

the must have phone is the X.
    No it's not. That's just you projecting.

edited September 2017
  • Reply 3 of 19
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    I set my calendar alarm to 11:55 PM Pacific time. I'll be up until then anyway. I assume the early start is to not have as much of an impact on the Internet and telephone services. Either way, I'll be ready to buy my iPhone 8 (maybe a Plus?) as soon as the store opens.

Is the screen real estate and extra camera worth the extra $100? I tried a 7 Plus out yesterday and it fit in my front pocket and didn't feel that huge.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    rob53 said:
    I set my calendar alarm to 11:55 PM Pacific time. I'll be up until then anyway. I assume the early start is to not have as much of an impact on the Internet and telephone services. Either way, I'll be ready to buy my iPhone 8 (maybe a Plus?) as soon as the store opens.

Is the screen real estate and extra camera worth the extra $100? I tried a 7 Plus out yesterday and it fit in my front pocket and didn't feel that huge.
    For the first time, I bought a "+" model with the iP7. I can't tell you how much better it is, both for the camera and the real estate. And I think it's faster too. As you say, it stops feeling huge very soon. In fact, the non-+ models (which the rest of my family has) now look small to me.

rob53
  • Reply 5 of 19
    rob53 said:

For the first time, I bought a "+" model with the iP7. I can't tell you how much better it is, both for the camera and the real estate. And I think it's faster too. As you say, it stops feeling huge very soon. In fact, the non-+ models (which the rest of my family has) now look small to me.

It stops feeling huge very quickly. When I first received my iPhone 6 Plus, I thought it was kind of big but after a day or so, it was fine. I will never go back to a smaller phone.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    rob53 said:

1) The 4.7” did feel tiny almost immediately after getting a Plus. Technology, in general, has a move toward “I’ve never even considere that” to “no one needs” this to “I can go back to anything else.” I wonder if there’s a psychological term attached to that. I’m pretty sure it’s the same phenomenon that affects use in other areas, especially when it involves increasing quality of life.

2) I’m not sure if the processor is clocked faster, but t does have more RAM. Also longer battery life, as I recall, which is also a plus for the Plus.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Using my Apple Upgrade program for the iPhone X, from iPhone 7.  ….alarm/reminder all set for Oct 26th, 11:50 PM

1) love the Face ID unlock. …..how many times have I tried to unlock with wet hands, dirty hands, stuff in hands, etc.   ….hoping raise to wake can combine with FACE ID unlock, to use Siri to launch apps

Also, Hoping that Face ID can be trained to use my face, with sunglasses.  …we'll see.

2) Love the camera !!     ….the "plus" superior camera system, in the smaller form factor.
     Yes, ..I consider myself a snap photographer and will take advantage of all this new-to-me, capability.

3) Expect to love the screen/display resolution, color, contrast and size, in the smaller, almost iPhone 7 Size, form factor

4) who will ever complain about a faster, more efficient CPU, and better battery life

Yup. …take my $$$$
    edited September 2017 SoundJudgment
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Soli said:
    rob53 said:

1) The 4.7” did feel tiny almost immediately after getting a Plus.

2) I’m not sure if the processor is clocked faster, but t does have more RAM. Also longer battery life, as I recall, which is also a plus for the Plus.
    It feels faster, and that placebo effect's good enough for me! :-D

Btw, can someone please confirm that the new Watch orders also start at the same time, i.e., 3:01AM, Friday Sep 15?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Soli said:
    jason98 said:
    Every iPhone except probably 3gs had a major selling point like retina display, siri, larger screen, touch id, water resistance, dual cam…
    The iPhone 8 series also has major selling points, and I thought they did a great job explaining how this is great annual leap over the iPhone 7 series, but you can you can always check out their website to see simple details as to how it's better than the previous year's model.

If there was no iPhone X this year the iPhone 8 would still be a great update to the iPhone line.

Most of the items are very incremental, some even repeated from the previous year.
    The wireless charging stands out, but is a charging accessory provided out of the box?
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 10 of 19
    jason98 said:
    Soli said:
    jason98 said:

Most of the items are very incremental, some even repeated from the previous year.
    The wireless charging stands out, but is a charging accessory provided out of the box?
    Then don't buy one. Why bitch on a forum?

If you had watched the Keynote you'd know that Apple using the wireless charging standard...therefore, you can use a 3rd party who uses that standard. So no, Apple isn't including that with the phone, nor is it offering anything for it. Why reinvent the wheel when everyone else already has it on the market today?

Here are the changes since you obviously didn't watch the Keynote:

1. New design...all glass, with colored glass back. 
    2. Wireless charging
    3. Better Retina display with True Tone
    4. Retina display has a wider color gamut.
    5. Upgraded camera
    6. A11 Bionic CPU (Vastly upgraded from the A10)
    7. Higher standard storage capacity 64GB up from 32GB

So don't sit here and tell us there are no new features in iPhone 8 over iPhone 7. Not every single phone released has to have 10 amazing new features. You do realize Apple released 2...YES 2 brand new phones? 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I like the gold...sort of has a 'peachy' tone to it! :)
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Soli said:
    rob53 said:

1) The 4.7” did feel tiny almost immediately after getting a Plus.

It feels faster, and that placebo effect's good enough for me! :-D

Btw, can someone please confirm that the new Watch orders also start at the same time, i.e., 3:01AM, Friday Sep 15?
    I haven't seen anything. Apple's site just says Order 9/15. iPhone 8 and Apple TV both say 12:01AM so it's a little strange the Watch doesn't say the same thing. 
  • Reply 13 of 19
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    jason98 said:

sog35 said:
    Why can't it be 7PM Pac time?  
    Worst. Logic. Ever. Why even make a statement that implies that it can't be whatever time Apple wishes it to be. Clearly they have their reasons. Why not try to see it from their perspective? Longest pre-order time for that business day, lower internet congestion for pre-order rush, or something else?

sog35 said:
    jason98 said:

the must have phone is the X.
    No it's not. That's just you projecting.

Sorry but the X is the must have phone. Price the 8 and X the same and 99% will choose the X. Must have.
    1) So your argument is to make something cheaper considerably more expensive or to make something more expensive considerably underpriced and then claim that people will go for it.

2) What happened to "you're an idiot if you think Apple would price the iPhone X at $999"? Well done¡
  • Reply 14 of 19

jason98 said:
    Soli said:
    jason98 said:

Of course it's incremental. Processors get faster. Processors get more power efficient. 64-bit processing comes after 32-bit. Why the fuck would you even suggest these aren't worthwhile gains? If you're waiting until quantum computing comes to the iPhone then 1) you're going to wait a very long time, and 2) chances are Apple won't be first to offer it in a consumer device.
    macxpress
  • Reply 15 of 19
    sog35 said:
    So my guess on price was off by $100.  So what. 
    The point is you need to stop your with your pathetic Nosogdumas predictions that you claim are "no big whoop" every time you're wrong.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    The point is you need to stop your with your pathetic Nosogdumas predictions that you claim are "no big whoop" every time you're wrong.
    I don't need to stop with my predictions. Why should I?  Does it hurt your feelings? Does it make you feel like less of a man?

Get help. Soon.
    It's just pathetic to jack threads by lying about having "sources" as you state your pie-eyed wishes as unwavering facts… which you then can change within an hour's time. You fucking claimed to have "sources" when questioned about your oddly absolute statements. Who the fuck does that? Yes, that kind of batshit crazy narcissism is bothersome to me.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 17 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    I don't need to stop with my predictions. Why should I?  Does it hurt your feelings? Does it make you feel like less of a man?

Get help. Soon.
    Telling him to get help is gold, coming from the biggest sociopath on this forum. Soli doesn't need help. You desperately do. 

And no, I doubt your smug-as-hell "predictions" (They're not predictions if you continually insist that Apple WILL do something, and mock anyone who believes otherwise) hurt his feelings, but they certainly make you look like a massive loser. So does claiming you have an insider at Apple, when your "predictions" come true once in a blue moon. But you knew that already. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 18 of 19
    jason98 said:

A11 Bionic chip. That makes the 8 series basically an X but with a better aspect ratio.
    edited September 2017