Video: Should you preorder Apple's iPhone 8, or wait for iPhone X?

Posted:
in iPhone
The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are now available for preorder ahead of next Friday's launch. But with the iPhone X so close behind, prospective buyers may have a hard time choosing between the two. AppleInsider offers some insight to help you make your big buying decision.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for all the latest news, analysis, photos, video and more, and install the official AppleInsider app for iOS on your iPhone and iPad to get instant push notifications when Apple news breaks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    If you have an iPhone 7, the iPhone 8 seems like a waste. Just get the iPhone X.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    If you've got the dough buy the X. I will probably keep my 7+ because it's good and I don't really have the dough. Maybe when my 7+ bites the dust 
  • Reply 3 of 17
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    Why would you anybody buy iPhone 8 when you can get  iPhone 10? 
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ben20 said:
    Why would you anybody buy a Toyota when you can get a Ferrari?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    AdambombAdambomb Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    I want the toy factor, must wait for Iphone X, but I did order the Watch + LTE to hold me over
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Pet peeve, it is O.L.E.D., not olead.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    ben20 said:
    For me, it's because I would like to upgrade my phone now instead of waiting for some unknown date in the future when I will be able to get my hands on the X (due to expected severe supply constraints).  

If I knew that I would be able to have one delivered on Nov. 3 then I would wait.  However most signs are pointing to the X being severely supply-constrained well into the first half of 2018.  At that point we are 2/3 of the way through the iPhone cycle and I've wasted the many months that I could've been enjoying my 8+.

That's why I'm going for the 8+ this year instead of the X.  When the X-style phone becomes the standard iPhone is when I will jump on board.  Either way, all three new phones are great new upgrades for anyone who is interested.  I just don't have the patience to wait until (insert unknown date here) when I can have the new 8+ in less than a week.  Impatient? Sure. But I'm fine with that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Actually you should wait for either one unless your phone is on it's last leg. With any major new product there's a good likelihood of there being some glitches, no matter how well a company tests it. 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Got 7 Plus. X is the easiest Apple decision I've ever made. 
    applepieguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    MplsP said:
    Actually you should wait for either one unless your phone is on it's last leg. With any major new product there's a good likelihood of there being some glitches, no matter how well a company tests it. 
    Absolutely. That's a brilliant reason for you and everyone else not to order the iPhone X. Let me test it for you and work out the glitches. On November 3rd. I just want to help. And by you - and everyone else - not ordering the iPhone X, I will be able to provide this wonderful public service. It really is best if you wait until 2018 to place your order. I cannot say that enough. Wait.
    edited September 2017 redgeminipaapplepieguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    ben20 said:
    Why would you anybody buy a Toyota when you can get a Ferrari?
    Great point!

Tomorrow, I am going to trade in my Toyota, and I will buy a Ferrari!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    ben20 said:
    Touch ID vs facial recognition 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Leaning towards the 8 but will wait to see one in personal before deciding to order one or not.  No hurry to get one, hoping it get discount so I can give myself a present in December!  Plus, all the bug should be worked out by then too!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Anybody, who spends over thousand dollars for a phone, should go for mental evaluation.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    nethan9 said:
    Anybody, who spends over thousand dollars for a phone, should go for mental evaluation.
    Thank you Steve Ballmer...
    jibberjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    The iPhone X doesn't have anything more/better than the iPhone 8 that I consider a must have. 
    So for me it will be an iPhone 8.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    nethan9 said:
    sure if we were all still rocking Nokia bricks, "mobile phones" nowadays are as capable and as powerful as desktop computers and are priced as such.

Pre-ordered a gold iPhone 8 for my wife, I'm holding out till spring to see if there is an updated SE for myself.