AppleInsider readers are split on the iPhone X notch, but most support Apple's decision to...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    I've had every iPhone since the beginning, and have in turn become completely entrenched in the Apple eco system. I have convinced most of my friends and family to also become faithful Apple users. Switching to android is not an option for me... this year I'll be settling for an iPhone 8. The notch is hideous. Apple's decision to embrace the notch will be a regretful one. All of this glorious futuristic technology wasted on one bad decision.
    So sad...
  • Reply 62 of 66
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    The notch is hideous. Apple's decision to embrace the notch will be a regretful one. All of this glorious futuristic technology wasted on one bad decision.
    So sad...
    It can be hidden in software. Apple discourages this in their developer guidelines for most apps but movie apps can have viewing modes that include black top and bottom bezels. The built-in video player has this. The notch is not visible when the video is displayed centered with software bezels:

GIF

It's far from distracting in full screen and I think the content looks better that way. Look at gaming, you won't even see the notch and the controls will be more comfortable to reach:

Some people like the notch so much, they have notch-envy:

http://mashable.com/2017/09/18/iphone-x-notch-android-app
    https://github.com/idoideas/XOutOf10

Mi Mix Photo

Think of it this way, every single phone in existence has a notch but on top of that notch, they have extra bezel. Apple just removed the extra bezel to end up with the currently smallest possible bezel with the tech they put into that space.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I've had every iPhone since the beginning, and have in turn become completely entrenched in the Apple eco system. I have convinced most of my friends and family to also become faithful Apple users. Switching to android is not an option for me... this year I'll be settling for an iPhone 8. The notch is hideous. Apple's decision to embrace the notch will be a regretful one. All of this glorious futuristic technology wasted on one bad decision.
    So sad...
    Yep, the switching cost is great. Which basically means that Apple can get away with darn near anything... up until a point, and then they won't like the results. (I think this is how most giant companies ultimately meet their decline/demise.)

Marvin said:
    It can be hidden in software. Apple discourages this in their developer guidelines for most apps but movie apps can have viewing modes that include black top and bottom bezels. The built-in video player has this. The notch is not visible when the video is displayed centered with software bezels:

GIF

Think of it this way, every single phone in existence has a notch but on top of that notch, they have extra bezel. Apple just removed the extra bezel to end up with the currently smallest possible bezel with the tech they put into that space.
    Notice how they have to hold the phone carefully so as to avoid touching the screen. Having near zero bezels isn't necessarily a good thing. How are all these funky new swipe actions (which are now necessary, as the home button is gone) going to work once you put that thing in a case?

Look cool, a real technological tour-de-force there, too. But I don't want it.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    ireland said:
    It’s called honest design. I don’t think Gruber understands why Apple are so publicly embracing it. Apple Canvas, anyone? How he ever thought that was a good name for iPad.

Over time as the tech evolves the notch will continue to shrink. Until display tech becomes sufficiently advanced and all of these functions are, dare I say “magically” present in display. Until a company can actually produce an under display camera and proximity sensor, for example, all the patents in the world saying so are meaningless.

iPhone ex is the best Apple can do right now. It’s their state of the art. And no, I won’t pronounce it “ten”, and not because Gruber said so. But because getting me or the general populace to pronounce the X as “ten” will never happen. “MacBook One”, “iPhone ex”. I know what Roman numerals are. We see them all the time on film credits. No one cares. It’s an iPhone with a notch, not Lawrence of Arabia. Ain’t happening. Deal with it, Schiller.
    Your rather childish reference to iphone ex is silly, apple called its OSX operating system os 10 and everyone called it that , so your stupid hate speech is wrong as ever.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    paul turner said:
    Your rather childish reference to iphone ex is silly, apple called its OSX operating system os 10 and everyone called it that , so your stupid hate speech is wrong as ever.
    People tend to say things the way they are written. Even though I technically know it's OS ten, since I write OS ex nearly daily, that's how it's formed in my head. I'd most likely say OS Ex in conversation as well, even though I'm well aware it's really OS Ten.

Hate speech? Isn't this a snowflake free zone?
    gatorguy