13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    bb-15 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    bb-15 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Every new tech that works takes sometimes for non tech savy to get used to them....even my wife still used pass codes, she ain't got nothing to do with touch ID or 3D touch, she said....hmmmm
    I'm sure that Face ID will be secure but I wouldn't use it and prefer Touch ID.
    It's kind of an irrational fear about a thief waving my phone in front of me.
    But I'd rather wait for Apple to bring back Touch ID in the new iPhone form factor.
    Well, at least you know it's irrational. Most people haven't made it that far yet. I suspect we're going to see yet another class of the "Steve would turn in his grave" club over this. They'll  be the same people waiting for the return of the headphone jack. 
    - Phone theft prevention can lead to fears about very unlikely situations which can seem to be irrational.
    - I don't care about the "what would Steve do" arguments.
    - If Touch ID is gone for good like the iPhone headphone jack, then my next IP will be in the IP 8 form factor. 
    I use Touch ID on my iPad/iPhone. I like it. And in the unlikely event that my phone is stolen, I think it's much harder to reproduce a fingerprint compared with waving a stolen phone in front of my face. 

Seriously, if incidents previewed here become real and increase, the PD may publish a warning and may suggest disabling Face ID :-/ There are many schemes of street robbery, "won't unlock if no look" is not security.
    Agreed. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 42 of 44
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    bb-15 said:
    Sorry but that is not how the world works (and I know quite a bit about science and human behavior).
    1. Looking at something is trivial. 
    2. By contrast finding out the correct fingerprint, reproducing a rubber/plastic duplicate of it is extremely difficult. 
    I don't recall any in the wild hacking of Touch ID where a completely unknown fingerprint was found on a phone, that fingerprint was duplicated in rubber/plastic and it turned out that it was the right print which could unlock the phone. 
    Exactly, though a better comparison would be 1) looking at something is trivial 2) forcing someone to hold their finger on a button is harder.
    And, while I appreciate Apple's effort to put the 'push buttons on both sides' lockout in there, who's going to have the foresight to do that in a tense situation?

But, in reality, I guess I'm less worried about the mugging type situation, and more about law enforcement, border patrol, etc. Our governments are becoming much more dangerous than street thugs.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 43 of 44
    bb-15 said:
    I don't recall any in the wild hacking of Touch ID where a completely unknown fingerprint was found on a phone, that fingerprint was duplicated in rubber/plastic and it turned out that it was the right print which could unlock the phone. 

• Reply 44 of 44
    bb-15 said:

That is an old joke. TouchID scans the already identified live finger behind the glue replica. There is no optical scanning in TouchID, it works by scanning the electric field of the live skin.
    jony0