Apple airs Apple Watch Series 3 ad showcasing Apple Music over LTE, AirPods support

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple on Friday posted to its official YouTube channel a new commercial hyping Apple Watch Series 3 and the device's ability to stream Apple Music over cellular networks.

The ad "Roll" was first aired during the company's product unveiling bonanza on Tuesday. Like other recent Apple commercials, the latest Series 3 spot features an upbeat track and high production value, with the device itself receiving only minimal screen time.

In "Roll," we see a skateboarder walking through a crowded train station. He pops in a pair of AirPods, browses through a list of Apple Music selections -- landing on "Misbehaving" by Labrinth -- on his Apple Watch and presses play.

The ad turns into a type of dream sequence, with the skateboarder turning the train station into his personal playground, weaving through the crowd performing stunts, tricks and causing explosions to the beat of the music.

The ad ends with tagline "40 million songs on your wrist," a reference to Apple Watch's newfound access to Apple Music and its vast library of tunes.

Apple unveiled Apple Watch Series 3 at a special event on Tuesday. The biggest upgrade this year is an LTE radio and eSIM that enables data network connectivity without a paired iPhone, making the wearable much more of a standalone device.

Preorders for Apple Watch Series 3 went live early this morning ahead of shipments next Friday.

For more on Series 3, check out AppleInsider's hands-on with the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Apple has one goal in its Advertising: *SELL IT, BABY!!*
  • Reply 2 of 12
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    While I was not someone wanting an LTE watch early on in the Apple Watch evolution, I can see why Apple did it now. It allows them to tell a simple story (like the iPod as we see) that in one swoop advertises the AW, AirPods, and Apple Music. Brilliant!!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I wanted to buy a Series-3 LTE Watch, but today I learned that it won't work with my cell phone that's on a company-paid plan.

I think the issue is partially financial: the Watch has to be associated with the same phone number as your mobile phone, but my mobile phone is on a plan paid for by my company... so there's no way for me to pay the $10/month as a supplement to my company's payment for the phone plan itself.  I think the problem is more around how to  PROCURE and pay for the service, not with any underlying technical obstacle.  Something like that.

Has anyone else here checked with your company, if they pay for your monthly data plan?

(I work for a large IT company with 130,000 employees, so the problem is not that we don't have the resources to figure this out.)

• Reply 4 of 12
    Won't LTE streaming and BT push the AppleWatch battery to its limits?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Won't LTE streaming and BT push the AppleWatch battery to its limits?
    Sure will, but they assured 18h through mixed use.

Just like they assured 18h through mixed use when the GPS came on line.

Just like they assured 18h through mixed use when there was no GPS or LTE (so you got a pattern here).

Mixed use obviously becomes more and more intense with time.
    If you use your series 3 watch without using the GPS or LTE,
     it would undoubtably last a hell of a long time (probably 3 days).

So, getting Series 3 means a much better battery life because of the higher level tech even without using GPS and LTE
    (if not the case, the GPS and LTE would kill the battery).

GPS and LTE probably are about the same in hog the battery life term.

The SOC is both more powerful and more efficient every iteration allowing the SOC to be mostly asleep.

MP3 playing is not a very high throughput LTE stream, more like sipping; most of the time the connection is idle.
    By doing decent size packets the communication subsystem could also be "asleep" most of the time (keeping the connection alive but that's it).

The SOC by being more and more powerful is basically almost always asleep too..
    When you listen to music the screen, which is the biggest battery hog is off.

All of that put together means it isn't so bad really.

Watching video though on an LTE Apple Watch would be BAD for the battery (and stupid).
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I wanted to buy a Series-3 LTE Watch, but today I learned that it won't work with my cell phone that's on a company-paid plan.

I think the issue is partially financial: the Watch has to be associated with the same phone number as your mobile phone, but my mobile phone is on a plan paid for by my company... so there's no way for me to pay the $10/month as a supplement to my company's payment for the phone plan itself.  I think the problem is more around how to  PROCURE and pay for the service, not with any underlying technical obstacle.  Something like that.

Has anyone else here checked with your company, if they pay for your monthly data plan?

(I work for a large IT company with 130,000 employees, so the problem is not that we don't have the resources to figure this out.)

The company can't just dock $10 a month from your salary? This can't be harder to set up than pension contributions. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 7 of 12
    "40 million songs on your wrist"

Did Tim just upstage Steve (and his 1,000 songs in your pocket)?
    ...  Steve would be so proud.   His goal was to leave a legacy of a successful organization.  He did.
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 8 of 12
    As Jason Snell said, this is Apple's 'next generation' iPod. AppleWatch and AirPods.

A bit of an expensive combo...especially when you add in $10/mo for AppleMusic and $10/mo for cell coverage. Seems like a lot.  

I have a series zero watch and the AirPods and just love wearing them trail running not having to carry an iPhone is great!

I find the syncing of music and my favorite running listening, Podcasts a bit clunky to setup. I have a third party app for podcasts. 

I will eventually upgrade to the latest AppleWatch w/ cellular if Ting supports it and doesn't charge too much per month.

Best.
  • Reply 9 of 12

"40 million songs on your wrist"

Did Tim just upstage Steve (and his 1,000 songs in your pocket)?
    ...  Steve would be so proud.   His goal was to leave a legacy of a successful organization.  He did.
    Nice post. Made me smile. :)

Good catch! I missed that connection about 1,000 songs and 40 million. Well said.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    As Jason Snell said, this is Apple's 'next generation' iPod. AppleWatch and AirPods.

A bit of an expensive combo...especially when you add in $10/mo for AppleMusic and $10/mo for cell coverage. Seems like a lot.  

I have a series zero watch and the AirPods and just love wearing them trail running not having to carry an iPhone is great!

I find the syncing of music and my favorite running listening, Podcasts a bit clunky to setup. I have a third party app for podcasts. 

I will eventually upgrade to the latest AppleWatch w/ cellular if Ting supports it and doesn't charge too much per month.

Best.

It does make a pretty good iPod. 
    But, trail running with a series 0 but without your iPhone?
    First, the Series 0 can only guess at your pace without an accompanying iPhone.
    Second, it might be hard to call for help if you break an ankle or face an attack.

But it does make a pretty good iPod.   Why not just carry an iPod? 

• Reply 11 of 12
    40 Million songs on your wrist...for $20/month! No thanks! I can stream from my phone thank you very much! 

While this is awesome the fact that carriers charge for an accessory to connect to your phone's line is absurd. I know 2 people here think I'm a whiner and thats fine, but its still not right and I'm not backing down from the argument. 

I don't mind paying $9.99 for the Apple Music subscription, but I'm not paying $10 more just to have LTE on a watch. 
  • Reply 12 of 12
    macxpress said:
    40 Million songs on your wrist...for $20/month! No thanks! I can stream from my phone thank you very much! 

While this is awesome the fact that carriers charge for an accessory to connect to your phone's line is absurd. I know 2 people here think I'm a whiner and thats fine, but its still not right and I'm not backing down from the argument. 

I don't mind paying $9.99 for the Apple Music subscription, but I'm not paying $10 more just to have LTE on a watch. 

Don't fracking pay it then, and yes you are a whiner. Some people think any Iphone is a gouge.
    Some think $1 for an app or a song is too much. Were does it end really.
    It's your own POV that indicates that and nothing else.

Having a god damn cell on your wrist is a luxury and yes it will be treated as such until the point there is more competition or the telecom  want to expand the market to a wider audience.

Even with all the whining, you get a hell of a lot more for your money in 2017 from telecoms than in say 1999 (especially adjusted for inflation).

In this case, there are no alternative if you want LTE on the watch...
    Except not having it.
     If indeed you don't care or need the LTE functions (which seems to be the case) well, your not the god damn target market for this and wait until the prices come down 3-5 years.
    lolliverGeorgeBMac