How high dynamic range support enables richer colors on Apple TV 4K

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Actually, there is a standard, popularly called “deep color” which Blu Ray supports, and some 1080p hi def TVs support, such as my Samsung HL T6189S. This is a set that’s now about 6 years old. It’s a DLP model that uses three very Large 16:9 LEDs for the light source. These give a very big color gamet, larger than the current DCI-P3 standard.

unfortunately, I don’t know of any way it can support that standard directly. I do have it set for deep color, and the difference between the standard 1080p sRGB, and it, is very noticeable.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 22 of 26
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Question: how do I know if my TV or monitor has support for HDR? How does it know?
  • Reply 23 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    netrox said:
    Question: how do I know if my TV or monitor has support for HDR? How does it know?
    You have a manual with that. Read it. It will tell what standards it supports, usually at the back of the manual. The TV’s menu also will likely give a choice for these standards too. That will also be in the manual.

doesn’t anybody read any more?
    baconstang
  • Reply 24 of 26
    LunnziesLunnzies Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    What gets me is Apple are pushing a 2.1 Cable on their website for insane prices when the Apple TV itself only has a 2.0 port. Absolutely incorrect in "recommending" a 2.1 cable.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 26
    I really wouldn't say 2 out of 3 ain't bad for HDR. There is no HLG content and we probably won't see anything for a long time. HLG is meant for broadcast content on cable TV. At the rate it took for stations to change from SD to HD, I'm sure it's going to be years before we see content providers with Live 4K channels in HLG. 
    For that matter, there is hardly any 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision content. Even if every movie on iTunes was updated (which doesn't appear to be even remotely close to being the case), it will still be a fraction of the watchable content on Apple TV.

I said it before when people were needlessly whining about the lack of 4K on Apple TV...it is still way early. This is a long-term play, that won't see any real benefit for years to come. Personally, I'm happier to have a 1080p TV right now, because I know that 99% of the content I'm watching is in 1080p.

If there was any reason to, I would run out and buy a 4K TV today and get ready for the 4K Apple TV experience. But there is no reason to. Movies from iTunes is 1 app on Apple TV....1 out of 7 or 8 that get routine use in my house.

I'll check back in 2-3 years when other services have caught up and 99% of content is in 4K and HDR/Dolby Vision.
    No way it's early. Every new movie coming out is in 4K HDR. How much content do you need? Between iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, etc there is a ton of 4K content out there right now and its growing rapidly. If you had a 4K TV, you would also be able to watch hundreds of 4K blu ray titles as well. 
    What kind of opinion is that? How about exactly what I said: Wake me when 99% of the content on Apple TV is in 4K, just like today, where 99% of it is in 1080p. Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, HBONow, Showtime, Starz, DirecTVNow, Sling TV, dozens of cable Apps with On Demand libraries....This is the content of Apple TV that people make use of. And basically none of it is in 4K. We're still years away from that 99% number. There is nothing worth upgrading for right now. Years of upscaling almost all content has no interest for me. Oh, and no one cares about BluRay.

cali said:
    I really wouldn't say 2 out of 3 ain't bad for HDR. There is no HLG content and we probably won't see anything for a long time. HLG is meant for broadcast content on cable TV. At the rate it took for stations to change from SD to HD, I'm sure it's going to be years before we see content providers with Live 4K channels in HLG. 
    For that matter, there is hardly any 4K HDR10/Dolby Vision content. Even if every movie on iTunes was updated (which doesn't appear to be even remotely close to being the case), it will still be a fraction of the watchable content on Apple TV.

I said it before when people were needlessly whining about the lack of 4K on Apple TV...it is still way early. This is a long-term play, that won't see any real benefit for years to come. Personally, I'm happier to have a 1080p TV right now, because I know that 99% of the content I'm watching is in 1080p.

If there was any reason to, I would run out and buy a 4K TV today and get ready for the 4K Apple TV experience. But there is no reason to. Movies from iTunes is 1 app on Apple TV....1 out of 7 or 8 that get routine use in my house.

I'll check back in 2-3 years when other services have caught up and 99% of content is in 4K and HDR/Dolby Vision.
    buddy have you seen the titles added to iTunes?
    For a moment we were able to see 4k titles available on iTunes and the library was already bigger than Vudu. It's not even day one yet!!
    See above. I don't see why I should be so appreciative of what I consider to be the absolute bare minimum to get a 4K Apple TV released. They should have gone a lot farther and got the TV libraries updated, and coordinated with top streaming apps to get those services on board. Like Apple of a few years ago would have. This is a pathetic launch. Even if its "a good launch in the context of the pathetic 4K distribution", it is still pathetic for an Apple endeavor.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member

No way it's early. Every new movie coming out is in 4K HDR. How much content do you need? Between iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, etc there is a ton of 4K content out there right now and its growing rapidly. If you had a 4K TV, you would also be able to watch hundreds of 4K blu ray titles as well. 
    What kind of opinion is that? How about exactly what I said: Wake me when 99% of the content on Apple TV is in 4K, just like today, where 99% of it is in 1080p. Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, HBONow, Showtime, Starz, DirecTVNow, Sling TV, dozens of cable Apps with On Demand libraries....This is the content of Apple TV that people make use of. And basically none of it is in 4K. We're still years away from that 99% number. There is nothing worth upgrading for right now. Years of upscaling almost all content has no interest for me. Oh, and no one cares about BluRay.

cali said:

buddy have you seen the titles added to iTunes?
    For a moment we were able to see 4k titles available on iTunes and the library was already bigger than Vudu. It's not even day one yet!!
    See above. I don't see why I should be so appreciative of what I consider to be the absolute bare minimum to get a 4K Apple TV released. They should have gone a lot farther and got the TV libraries updated, and coordinated with top streaming apps to get those services on board. Like Apple of a few years ago would have. This is a pathetic launch. Even if its "a good launch in the context of the pathetic 4K distribution", it is still pathetic for an Apple endeavor.
    Why the negative spin? Most every other OTT box including gaming platforms already supports 4k — Apple now does the same, includes HDR and Dolby Vision, AND gets the studios to provide FOC upgrades for previous HD movie purchases from iTunes/ATV Movies — this is a great option for those of us in the Apple eco system — if it’s not for you then simply don’t buy one, your choice.