Apple Watch Series 3 with & without cellular vs. Series 1: Which model is right for you?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    mac_128 said:

nhughes said:
    cjaer said:
    Does anyone know the answer to this: How is the memory allocated in the Apple Watch Series 3? Especially the 16GB cellular? The previous versions capped 2GB to music storage. I'm not inclined to pay the uptick for cellular by itself, however if the 16BG can be dynamically allocated (as the iPhone or iPods) then that is a significant advantage to me.

I've been to the local Apple store, they basically said they had no knowledge that isn't on Apple.com. As a total Apple guy, I find that answer totally unsatisfactory, but that is a side issue. 

Any (informed) insight is welcome and appreciated!

Apple has not said yet, but I suspect you will be able to transfer more music with the LTE models. We'll let you know come Friday.
    One would think, but then again it runs counter intuitive to their marketing, which focus is on streaming Apple Music. Allowing more local storage would seem counter to that goal. Then again, what is all that extra storage for? Apps? Is anyone really running into storage problems with their Apple Watch now because they have too many apps? Photos? Does anybody really carry that many photos on the watch? 
    Considering how quickly LTE use drains the Apple Watch Series 3 battery, I suspect that the extra storage will be used to locally store/cache commonly played and recently played songs, just like the iPhone does while streaming. Whether or not this leads to more storage for the songs the user can control/sync is unknown.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 42 of 46
    cjaer said:
    Does anyone know the answer to this: How is the memory allocated in the Apple Watch Series 3? Especially the 16GB cellular? The previous versions capped 2GB to music storage. I'm not inclined to pay the uptick for cellular by itself, however if the 16BG can be dynamically allocated (as the iPhone or iPods) then that is a significant advantage to me.

I've been to the local Apple store, they basically said they had no knowledge that isn't on Apple.com. As a total Apple guy, I find that answer totally unsatisfactory, but that is a side issue. 

I find, unless I'm at the Genius Bar, that answer to be fairly typical.   Actually, I usually know more than many of them do (not all, but many). 
  • Reply 43 of 46
    mac_128 said:

nhughes said:
    cjaer said:

Apple has not said yet, but I suspect you will be able to transfer more music with the LTE models. We'll let you know come Friday.
    One would think, but then again it runs counter intuitive to their marketing, which focus is on streaming Apple Music. Allowing more local storage would seem counter to that goal. Then again, what is all that extra storage for? Apps? Is anyone really running into storage problems with their Apple Watch now because they have too many apps? Photos? Does anybody really carry that many photos on the watch? 
    With Apple Music you have the choice of either streaming or downloading the songs, albums and playlists to your phone.  

After adding a friend to my plan and pushing the upper limits of my data each month I have been playing mostly downloaded songs to save data.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    nhughes said:
    mac_128 said:

nhughes said:
    cjaer said:

Considering how quickly LTE use drains the Apple Watch Series 3 battery, I suspect that the extra storage will be used to locally store/cache commonly played and recently played songs, just like the iPhone does while streaming. Whether or not this leads to more storage for the songs the user can control/sync is unknown.
    Plus to save data minutes.
    Or, in a place that doesn't get cell service.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:

nhughes said:
    cjaer said:

With Apple Music you have the choice of either streaming or downloading the songs, albums and playlists to your phone.  

After adding a friend to my plan and pushing the upper limits of my data each month I have been playing mostly downloaded songs to save data.
    Ah, I see. I don't use Apple Music, so I didn't realize this. I only have synced playlists from my iPhone. This gets even more interesting -- if Apple is pushing Apple Music, and extra storage to be used in this way, it'll be very interesting to see if they allow the expanded storage to be used with synced playlists at all ...
  • Reply 46 of 46
    mac_128 said:
    mac_128 said:

nhughes said:
    cjaer said:

Ah, I see. I don't use Apple Music, so I didn't realize this. I only have synced playlists from my iPhone. This gets even more interesting -- if Apple is pushing Apple Music, and extra storage to be used in this way, it'll be very interesting to see if they allow the expanded storage to be used with synced playlists at all ...
    I don'tbuy the theory that "Apple is pushing Apple Music on the AW (at the expense of user owned music)"

Instead, I think Apple simply opened up the Watch to receiving streaming music -- of which Apple Music is the dominant player.   The Apple Watch has always been able to play music from the iPhone.  This is just one more feature.