watchOS 4 no longer lets you browse iPhone music library on your Apple Watch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    This is a silly move by Apple, on the face of it.

Either they have a darn good explanation, or more likely, they bring back the feature in a soon-to-be-out software update.
    KingPacific
  • Reply 22 of 53
    I don’t understand the impact of this article. Does it mean that I will no longer be able to access iTunes Match on my Watch?
    You won't be able to browse your iPhone's music library from your watch. You'll have to browse and select music on your iPhone, then you can pause/adjust volume/skip tracks from your watch. Apple has removed the ability to browse your full iPhone library (including iTunes Match and Apple Music) from the watch.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    i think i speak for a lot of others on here when the most typical thing is for someone to be at the gym and have the watch on them with their phone nearby in their bag...while on the treadmill we like to scroll through our playlist that are on our phone and listen to different playlists. Now we are locked into one playlist (the one we started from our phone) if we want to be able to control from the watch...the simple solution would be to have a massive amount of storage on the watch so all of our playlists would fit, but no one has a clue as to the GB local storage on the new watch? no reporter has reached out to Apple to find out? But yet we get the same generic articles over and over again ie: "Should I upgrade or wait" articles
    edited September 2017 chiaike185
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Should we start the countdown until someone files a lawsuit over this? /s
  • Reply 25 of 53
    NY1822 said:
    but no one has a clue as to the GB local storage on the new watch? no reporter has reached out to Apple to find out? But yet we get the same generic articles over and over again ie: "Should I upgrade or wait" articles
    We’ve reported on this numerous times: the Series 3 with cellular has 16GB of local storage, while the Series 3 without cellular (and all previous watches) have 8GB of local storage. 

To date, all watched (including those running watchOS 4) are limited to 2GB of local music storage. It is unknown whether the Series 3 with cellular will offer more storage in light of its doubled capacity. I would assume it will. We’ll know on Friday. 
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Also, I can browse my entire photos library through my Apple TV so don’t know WTF you’re talking about. More FUD, obviously. 
    Apple removed streaming Photos from Mac to AppleTV. The "photos" app on the AppleTV is now iCloud-only. I don't use Apple's crappy iCloud Photo Library because it takes forever to upload photos and kills the cable modem connection. Nobody should have to use cloud services to send stuff within their own home anyway.
    KingPacific
  • Reply 27 of 53
    If you check out the Music settings in the iOS Watch app, you'll see the new options for music. It'll recognize the playlist you listen to most & make them available to select & start streaming directly from the Music app on the Apple Watch. Also, now you can sync more than one playlist for offline use on the Watch! You still have access to your full library & any playlists downloaded to the Watch, you just don't have to select the source anymore... Any playlists you have downloaded to the Watch are there with other playlist covers & don't show the cloud-with-arrow icon indicating to download it. Which brings me to my next point, if there's a playlist you want downloaded to the watch, you just tap aforementioned icon to prepare the download & the next time your Watch is charging, it'll download it; no need to manage it entirely from the iOS Watch app.

AppleInsider to look into all of this as well instead of jumping to conclusions & posting an incomplete article...
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Can anyone tell me why I can no longer get into the ‘cards’ view (showing all open apps) using the hard press on the left side and then swipe right on my iPhone? And the long swipe up from the bottom of the iPhone doesn’t get me to the ‘cards’ view either. This is iOS 11 on the iPhone 6S. If I’m now only able to get there by double clicking the Home button, iOS 11 is an even bigger POS than I thought it was. That’s a big step backwards.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 29 of 53
    gwbandrew said:
    If you check out the Music settings in the iOS Watch app, you'll see the new options for music. It'll recognize the playlist you listen to most & make them available to select & start streaming directly from the Music app on the Apple Watch. Also, now you can sync more than one playlist for offline use on the Watch! You still have access to your full library & any playlists downloaded to the Watch, you just don't have to select the source anymore... Any playlists you have downloaded to the Watch are there with other playlist covers & don't show the cloud-with-arrow icon indicating to download it. Which brings me to my next point, if there's a playlist you want downloaded to the watch, you just tap aforementioned icon to prepare the download & the next time your Watch is charging, it'll download it; no need to manage it entirely from the iOS Watch app.

AppleInsider to look into all of this as well instead of jumping to conclusions & posting an incomplete article...
    Seems like you should read the entire article before jumping to conclusions and posting an incomplete comment. From the article:

"Other changes to the Music app in watchOS 4 include the ability to automatically add songs that are in a listener's 'heavy rotation.'"
  • Reply 30 of 53
    nhughes said:
    gwbandrew said:

Seems like you should read the entire article before jumping to conclusions and posting an incomplete comment. From the article:

"Other changes to the Music app in watchOS 4 include the ability to automatically add songs that are in a listener's 'heavy rotation.'"
    You missed the point of my comment. I was showing how users still have access to the library of their phone, just without the need to force touch for the “source” option that the article is trying to say WatchOS 4 supposedly removed. 
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Make your voice heard! https://www.apple.com/feedback/
  • Reply 32 of 53
    gwbandrew said:
    nhughes said:
    gwbandrew said:

You missed the point of my comment. I was showing how users still have access to the library of their phone, just without the need to force touch for the “source” option that the article is trying to say WatchOS 4 supposedly removed. 
    You're wrong. You do not have access to browse the library on your phone from your watch. That's the change, and that's the problem.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    huertajahuertaja Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This is a silly move by Apple, on the face of it.

Either they have a darn good explanation, or more likely, they bring back the feature in a soon-to-be-out software update.
    My bad thinking explanation; "you want to enjoy the 40 millions songs that you are already paying with apple music? then but an LTE version of the apple Watch 
  • Reply 34 of 53
    Sign my Petition MAKE APPLE HEAR OUR VOICES!!!! https://www.change.org/p/apple-watch-os-4-iphone-music-source-function
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Use Siri on your watch! Hey Siri play music from iPhone Or add name of play list stored in iPhone. Hey siri play children play list from iPhone It works perfectly :-) Have a nice day.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    https://www.change.org/p/apple-watch-os-4-iphone-music-source-function Sign my petition to force Apple to bring back this feature
  • Reply 38 of 53
    My testing is that if you have selected a playlist on your iPhone, you can then press you side button to get the Now Playing screen, which allows you to pause / advance etc the music on that particular playlist. While not as nice as the previous music app, it at least enables me to control the music during a workout via the headphones connected to the iPhone. Has anyone found a 3rd party app that might bring back the full playlist selection functionality?
  • Reply 39 of 53
    I’m so pissed at this I had to register to post my thoughts. I left feedback too! Not that they listen! When I bought my first apple watch one of the greatest features for me was the music control as well as storing music on the watch. I loved the ability to keep my phone in my pocket and airplay my whole library local or Apple Music library while leaving it on a charger or in another room. Being able to lift my wrist and browse my complete library and switch between artist albums and playlist. It was magical and a conversation piece of why you need an Apple Watch. And when I WANTED TO I could choose source Apple Watch and then leave my phone behind when say I was going somewhere maybe I didn’t want to drag it along to. Now with the latest WatchOS 4 Apple wants to now force us to buy a Watch 3 to stream our Apple Music from our wrist. Removing the ability to browse our phone library or switch between sources. Hey Apple do you give a shit about the people who don’t want to fork over another 300 dollars for a version 3 when we have perfectly usable previous versions. How about the people who just don’t want to add another data device to their cellular plan? Or how about the ones that don’t want to pay a another 10 bucks a month for a streaming service when we already have libraries of Music we compiled that sit nicely on our devices. this is ridiculous as it has benefited no one but Apple. I take it as a slap in the face to me as a long time consumer that has shelled out dollar after dollar for their watches. Version after version. I was psyched to get a version 3 trying to save up until I realized you robbed me of one of the greatest features of the Watch. Now I have to yank my phone out of my pocket to change a playlist or depend on the unreliable Siri to hear me and decipher correctly what playlist I want her to play or anything else. I can’t just lift my wrist glance at my playlist while my phone sits on the charger air playing to my stereo in another room and skip over the next few songs I don’t want to hear in my playlist to the jam I wanted to hear. Apple what’s your problem? Did It bog the watch down to keep that feature? I see no other reason but to force people to use your streaming service, because what you don’t make enough money off us already in sales? No headphone jack cause it was inferior and what now is being able to use a phone inferior too. Are we all supposed to use our watches now and headphones in the Apple future. Give your customers a choice. It something we as human beings cherish. Our freedom of choice.  the choice not to pay for a cellular service when not needed and not pay for a steaming service that imo is a bit flawed. How many times have a grabbed a song placed it in my playlist to have it a Month later say it’s unavailable. Didn’t I even download that to my device for offline use? Smh.. What am I paying for again? And the reps u talk to that say they want to help find a resolution. There is only one. Let me go back to version 3. Sorry can’t do that either. Worthless!! Apple?
  • Reply 40 of 53
    One more addition.. Let’s not forget Apple that your watch has useless storage capability. So where I could keep all my music and playlist on my phone and browse thru it from my wrist I no longer can. The watch is full and I can’t store the many playlists of music I have on my phone, on the watch and I now can’t browse those playlist from the phone and listen to them on my wireless headphones or Bluetooth speaker as the one guy said he does in the shower or on his commute. (yeah I do that shit to my man) or from my front porch or when I’m kayaking and have my phone in a water tight case. Now I will have to settle with the 250 songs/2gb of music on my watch vs having my full 256gb storage device full of a variety of things to listen to,  Sorry guys, this is all I could fit on my watch. And I don’t want to keep taking my phone in and out while in the middle of a lake at the risk of ooops dropping it in the 10ft + deep dark murky lake losing a 1000 dollar phone investment. Screw Apple and their bs streaming service! And their their be Apple Watch 3. I won’t buy another one again