First ARKit apps hit App Store, including Strava's Fitness AR and room dimensioning app PL...

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
With the release of iOS 11 on Tuesday, iPhone and iPad owners will see a flood of augmented reality titles hit the App Store thanks to Apple's introduction of ARKit. An app utilizing fitness tracking app maker Strava's API and room dimensioning title PLNAR are among the first to take advantage of the specialized API.

Fitness AR today launched an eponymous ARKit app designed to visualize rides, runs and hikes on a three-dimensional map using data captured in Strava's popular activity tracking title.

As an accompaniment to Strava Running and Cycling GPS, Fitness AR requires users link their Strava account and start a new route to get started. Alternatively, previously logged activity can be shared with Fitness AR for augmented reality processing.

Once a desired activity or route is selected, Fitness AR will display the logged data in a 3D environment directly on a table or flat surface. Like other ARKit apps, Fitness AR's offering overlays computer generated visuals, in this case a 3D map and extrapolated user activity data, on top of real world objects captured by an iOS device's rear-facing cameras.

The app promises not only fun interactions with Strava Running and Cycling GPS metrics, but provides insight into potential changes users can make to their daily runs. For example, with a bird's-eye view of nearby terrain, users might find new running paths, cycling routes or hiking treks to try during their next outing.

Fitness AR is priced at $2.99 and is available now from the iOS App Store.

Also launching today is augmented reality measurement tool PLNAR. Developed by SmartPicture Technologies, the app harnesses ARKit to gather room measurements, including specifications for interior structures like doors and windows, in real time.

Using an iPhone or iPad's rear camera, users simply point their device at anchor points in a given room to generate accurate digital measurements of any flat surface. Using a simple reticule, users can conduct point-to-point measurements of a room's floor and walls. Other objects like counter tops can also be measured.

Users can label measured segments to notate key features like walls, doors, windows, openings and more, a handy tool when creating an area blueprint.

Beyond basic dimensioning, PLNAR is able to ingest room measurements to generate area and perimeter calculations, simplifying flooring and other interior design projects.

The app supports multiple projects and room plans, while users can export data as PDF documents for easy sharing.

PLNAR is a free download from the iOS App Store.
skorzeniewski

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    The augmented reality device and application I'd very much like to own, is a pair of camera and translucent display lensed glasses that when I look at a sign or notice or page written in a foreign language, translates and displays (or speaks) what I am seeing. This would be popular I think. In the case of the image attached (okay, I get it, no smoking) AI would recognise and prioritise the most pertinent information, leaving details to later in the translation if I wish.

RacerhomieXGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Google Translate, I believe, does that.  It used to be the function of Word Lens before they were acquired.
    netmagedoozydozenSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Damn, I missed the part that says AR apps won’t work on iPhone 6/6 Plus.

That PLNR app is just what I’ve been looking for for a while
    doozydozenRacerhomieXGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 9

I just downloaded a basic AR app called Holo. It just super-imposes some basic pre-canned videos on a real space. Nice to play around with, but far from perfect.

Of course, it's free so obviously won't be cutting edge. I'd like an app that takes ambient light into account and add shadows to the pre-canned stuff so that it blends better.

My main area of interest right now is education apps for my kids. This should be a fun way to learn stuff.

• Reply 5 of 9
    Google Translate, I believe, does that.  It used to be the function of Word Lens before they were acquired.
    Yes, I use it often, just tap the little "camera with the plus sign" icon below the words "Tap to enter text". Be sure to load up the relevant languages at home, before you travel, because the files are each about 2.5 Mb. A handy feature that many people miss is to type something in in English, such as "Is this dish gluten free", then tilt to landscape mode to show the waiter/ess the translation, e.g. "es este plato sin gluten" in big friendly white letters (very HHG to the G) on a blue background. Very neat!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    Good time to upgrade to an SE or 7
  • Reply 7 of 9
    DilirX said:
    My sense is that many of the upgrades in the iPhone 8 & iPhone X were directed at getting ready for AR.   I suspect the 7 and especially the SE will soon be left behind.

To me, that is biggest selling point of the 8 vs the 7 or 6S:   future proofing rather than current enhancements.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    If you think this is cool check out this AR picture hanging app I found  from Austin TX indie devs Hookbang 
    https://itunes.apple.com/.../hookbang-ar.../id1281164759...

They've also got a vid up of it being used:

• Reply 9 of 9
    DilirX said:
    My sense is that many of the upgrades in the iPhone 8 & iPhone X were directed at getting ready for AR.   I suspect the 7 and especially the SE will soon be left behind.

To me, that is biggest selling point of the 8 vs the 7 or 6S:   future proofing rather than current enhancements.
    The SE has the same internals as the 6s, unless there is something special in the camera on the 6s, it should stay alive until the 6s goes down for the count.

The 6 is the one who will cut off first.