Editorial: Who will buy iPhone 8?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    dougd said:
    As someone who recently bought a 7+,  I've no interest in the 8+.  The X yes but I probably wont buy this years model of the new design. Maybe next year
    Actually, rather than go to an 8+ many will go to the X:  Essentially:   it has the external frame size of the 8 with the screen size of the 8+.   (Plus the beauty of the OLED screen.) 
    It is not 8+ screen size. Its width is the same as 6. Many people will order without paying attention to screen aspect ratio then will return it after discovering that it is not a bigger screen but just a taller screen.

If burning electricity for white pixels (like the ones around these letters now) is beauty then this is an expensive beauty.
    LOL...   Sorry if the dimensions don't exactly coincide...   I'll have to talk to Tim about that...

Your comment about white pixels doesn't make a lot of sense...  One of the advantages of OLED is not having to burn power to make black pixels.   But, it also simply looks better. 
  • Reply 62 of 73
    One thing that has not been mentioned is the number of original  iP6  and 6+ out in the wild is staggering add to that the 6S and 6S+ , all of theses 4 models are now 2 and 3 years old respectively. There are probably at least 200M of these aging devices. I will be one of them  buying a new ipX as soon as I can to replace my  3 year old iPhone6+ which I'm going to get $250 for when I trade it in. This is the SUPER CYCLE one of the banks talked about weeks ago. So I get a vast increase in performance, edge to edge OLED screen, wirelss charging, better camera, to name a few and a smaller phone with a bigger screen! wow
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,088member
    FWIW a new report out this afternoon claims Apple has run into more snags with the iPhone X, delaying production for another two weeks, now into mid-October. If accurate it seems likely Apple may miss their announced Nov. 3rd ship date. 

Per Barrons "While our checks are ongoing, initial feedback from our meetings suggests that final production of iPhone X has not yet begun, with production expected to commence in mid-October. That production start is about a month later when compared to expectations a month ago, and about 2 months later than expectations at the end of June."
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 64 of 73
    Apple is genius. It's all about options.

A. "Here is iPhone X"
    Those that said "WTF FaceID, no!!! WTF Notch, no!!! WTF where is Home Button???" go to either B or C, otherwise they get iPhone X.

B. "Here is iPhone 8"
    Those that said "WTF no portrait mode? WTF small screen!" go to C, those that said "WTF boring!" they get A.

C. "Here is iPhone 8+"
    Those that said "WTF too big!" get B, those that said "WTF boring!" they get A.

Disclaimer: the scenarios are only limited within the group who are after a new iPhone.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Apple’s products have long been held to a higher standard than its competitors’ by reviewers for quite a while now. These so-called “tech experts” claim to be nonpartisan, but many still get caught up in how it has almost become “cool” to bash Apple recently. Their allegiances can be easily read from a mile away. But that just goes to show how Apple has become an industry leader with quality offerings year after year. Everyone who doesn’t buy Apple’s products, for whatever reason, are afraid of the company’s dominance. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 73
    sog35 said:
    iPhone 8 is a wonderful product.

But come on Bro.  The design is so FRICKEN OLD BRAH.

4 years in a row the front of the phone looks EXACTLY THE SAME.

Apple should have shrunk the bezels a bit and make the phone look more fresh

Seriously? The iPhone 9????? Nice way to establish cred...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 73
    brucemc said:
    Apple is so far ahead in silicon performance, the iPhone 8 will still crush the top end Android phones next year. 

ROFL. Really?
    What about the droves of Fandroid's who won't touch anything made by Apple with a 40ft Barge Pole?
    What about the retailers who only display Samsung devices but still carry iPhones (unmarked boxes in a locked room with a sign saying 'Rabid dogs inside' on the door)
    What about the retailers who promote the S7 Edge as the latest phone (not kidding here)
    etc
    etc
    etc

There are dozens of reasons why the iPhone 8/X won't crush the top end Android phones and not should they. Competition is what keeps the market moving forward.

Oh, and most buyers don't care one little bit about CPU specs. Shiny, shiny is what sells to around 50% of the market.

Quote:
    iPhone 8 and 8 Plus shouldn't have any trouble finding buyers.
    Yep, all those who won't go near the 'X' for a variety of reasons including cost, TouchID and the 'notch'.

Wow! You do no how to read don't you? iPhones outselll ALL of the other competitors' premium models COMBINED, and the 8 will be no exception. And with the incredible increase in CPU and GPU speeds, along with tight hardware and software integration, there is absolutely no doubt the the 8 will still be crushing the competition in performance next year. So try slowly removing your head from your posterior and wake up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 73
    I probably will buy the 4.7" iPhone 8!due to it size!  I want to upgrade to a bigger phone and the 4.7" is just right for my needs.  I going for the 256GB model for future proofing it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 73
    kevin kee said:
    Apple is genius. It's all about options.

A. "Here is iPhone X"
    Those that said "WTF FaceID, no!!! WTF Notch, no!!! WTF where is Home Button???" go to either B or C, otherwise they get iPhone X.

B. "Here is iPhone 8"
    Those that said "WTF no portrait mode? WTF small screen!" go to C, those that said "WTF boring!" they get A.

C. "Here is iPhone 8+"
    Those that said "WTF too big!" get B, those that said "WTF boring!" they get A.

Disclaimer: the scenarios are only limited within the group who are after a new iPhone.
    FYI, it’s “8 Plus”, not “8+”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 73
    One thing that has not been mentioned is the number of original  iP6  and 6+ out in the wild is staggering add to that the 6S and 6S+ , all of theses 4 models are now 2 and 3 years old respectively. There are probably at least 200M of these aging devices. I will be one of them  buying a new ipX as soon as I can to replace my  3 year old iPhone6+ which I'm going to get $250 for when I trade it in. This is the SUPER CYCLE one of the banks talked about weeks ago. So I get a vast increase in performance, edge to edge OLED screen, wirelss charging, better camera, to name a few and a smaller phone with a bigger screen! wow
    ... and somebody else gets a highly functional, usable phone running the latest and greatest OS.
    ......... That's a Win-Win

watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Apple’s products have long been held to a higher standard than its competitors’ by reviewers for quite a while now. These so-called “tech experts” claim to be nonpartisan, but many still get caught up in how it has almost become “cool” to bash Apple recently. Their allegiances can be easily read from a mile away. But that just goes to show how Apple has become an industry leader with quality offerings year after year. Everyone who doesn’t buy Apple’s products, for whatever reason, are afraid of the company’s dominance. 
    Just like healthcare is about money & profit rather than health, the news industry is also about click bait headlines and contentious, alarming stories that generate money and profit rather than provide accurate news.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    I probably will buy the 4.7" iPhone 8!due to it size!  I want to upgrade to a bigger phone and the 4.7" is just right for my needs.  I going for the 256GB model for future proofing it!
    Then you should maybe consider the iPhone X -- smaller body size combined with bigger screen size!
    ... Plus you get the luxury of a better camera and OLED screen.