Inside iOS 11: Files app brings some user control of documents stored on an iPad or iPhone...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

thanx_al said:
    Anyone know if there is a way for files app to see and interact with external drives.. (with either wired or wireless connection)? Thanks....
    Wireless drives work through their own apps. There is NO wired external hard drive support. Documents 6 works easier than Files.app for a direct drag and drop transfer, although Sandisk is now in Files.app. I would guess others (like WD) will soon show up there. 
    Thaxn Ai
    bit confused about your response.
    you say there is no wired external drive support.
    but then you say sandisk is now in files app... .. isnt that a form of wired external storage ? 
    Also is there a reason why wireless drives cant work with Files App? 
    Is that a limitation imposed by Apple or a technical limitation.... ?

I hope to see some good choices of external drives compatible with files...  i find being limited to cloud Is.....well, very limiting .

PS.. downloaded documents 6... cool... nice interface... and seens it can support wireless drives...  but it has its limitations too.
    why cant Apple or somebody do a comprehensive fully consolidated files management  app. ??/
    For example.. documents 6  showes all my photos and  songs ..very cool... but does not show local app documents like garageband, etc. 
    Files on The other hand show files from apps that have exposed their files to iOS.... but it wont show photos in library or my music.

why does it need to be this way.. 
    To me its mind boggeling. 
    Apple makes the initiative to create a centralized files app.. then it handicaps it with limitations. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Anyone know if there is a way for files app to see and interact with external drives.. (with either wired or wireless connection)? Thanks....
    External drives provide their own apps, from there you can copy to iCloud Drive or other app repositories.
    Thanks Macplus 
    my main issue is to see if Files App will interact with external drives.. and act as a consolidated centralized file managment sys. 
    If i have to use other apps to get the task done the whole purpose is defeated. 
    Thanks for the pointers though !

I don't understand why this is your main issue with iOS. iOS does not offer drive/storage management since the very beginning. You can't attach a USD or network drive to iOS and format it for example. Use a laptop for such jobs. If you refuse to use the app provided by the drive producer and blame iOS for that, sorry but no one can help you, even the drive producer.

According to thanx_al's response above, once the drive producer's app is installed, it may appear as a Location in Files app. But again, this (integration with the Files app) is at the discretion of the drive producer and you absolutely depend on that app. iOS will not perform drive management for you.
    edited September 2017 MartyvH
  • Reply 23 of 34
    thanx_al said:
    jurassic said:

One thing I noticed about "On my iPhone/iPad" is that you can't save files to the main level, and you can't create or rename folders. You can only put things in a folder for an existing app.

For example, I wanted to save some web images to "On my iPhone/iPad", but I had to choose an existing app's folder (I chose "Pages") to drop those files into. It is a new folder, not the same "Pages" folder that is on my iCloud Drive.

I hope Apple will create an update for iOS 11 that will allow users to put files into "On my iPhone/iPad" at the top level, or to create and name their own folders.

That won't happen. There is no centralized document repository in iOS as one of its main differences from desktop operating systems. in iOS only apps have document repositories. If you need a centralized document repository in iOS then this is the iCloud Drive.
    Never say "never". All Apple would have to do is allow Files.app the same privileges to store files locally as any other app that currently does. They should move in this direction. Constantly re-downloading files (often at great expense over LTE) keeps iPad from being a pro level laptop replacement. 
    The operating system is not built that way. What you request is the complete re-write of the operating system, you just want another Windows CE. That won't happen. Why would you constantly re-download files from iCloud Drive? Store them in the app repositories. There is a lot of file storage utilities in iOS each with their own repositories, use those to store files locally. If you are a "pro" you should have already mastered all those file storage utilities. This is a trivial issue you're lamenting about.
    MartyvH
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Except not music or video locally stored on device. That still has to be managed via iTunes on the computer. smh
    Why not? Drop the files into iCloud Drive on the Mac or Windows (using the web interface) and see and enjoy them in the Files app on the iPad or iPhone.
    I don’t want them taking up iCloud space plus as far as I know 3rd party video apps can’t import from iCloud Drive.
    That is a limitation of that application. At least they must accept files shared via the Sharing panel. The file is initially stored in the download app's own repository. You tap the Share button and transfer it to the 3d party video app. If that 3d party video app does not appear there, then this is not the fault of iOS nor the initial download application. Use Infuse. It accepts files from many venues.
    I do use Infuse. It’s the only video app I use. I see now that it has iCloud sync. But I have a 256GB iPad with a lot of video stored locally. It’s Apple’s choice to sandbox this and not allow the files app access to this content. All I’m saying is don’t call it a files app if the only thing you can browse is stuff in the cloud. 

Honestly the only reason I still have a PC is so I can load audio and video on to my iOS devices and that’s because the only way Apple lets you do it is through desktop iTunes. Get rid of that and I could ditch my laptop for good.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 34
    jurassic said:

One thing I noticed about "On my iPhone/iPad" is that you can't save files to the main level, and you can't create or rename folders. You can only put things in a folder for an existing app.

For example, I wanted to save some web images to "On my iPhone/iPad", but I had to choose an existing app's folder (I chose "Pages") to drop those files into. It is a new folder, not the same "Pages" folder that is on my iCloud Drive.

I hope Apple will create an update for iOS 11 that will allow users to put files into "On my iPhone/iPad" at the top level, or to create and name their own folders.

That won't happen. There is no centralized document repository in iOS as one of its main differences from desktop operating systems. in iOS only apps have document repositories. If you need a centralized document repository in iOS then this is the iCloud Drive.
    What’s the point of all this on device storage if there’s no central way to access it. It’s one thing when devices were 16GB and mostly consisted of photos. But a 512GB iPad with no way to browse local storge is not a full laptop replacement. Not everybody keeps all their stuff in the cloud.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 34
    External drives provide their own apps, from there you can copy to iCloud Drive or other app repositories.
    Thanks Macplus 
    my main issue is to see if Files App will interact with external drives.. and act as a consolidated centralized file managment sys. 
    If i have to use other apps to get the task done the whole purpose is defeated. 
    Thanks for the pointers though !

I don't understand why this is your main issue with iOS. iOS does not offer drive/storage management since the very beginning. You can't attach a USD or network drive to iOS and format it for example. Use a laptop for such jobs. If you refuse to use the app provided by the drive producer and blame iOS for that, sorry but no one can help you, even the drive producer.

According to thanx_al's response above, once the drive producer's app is installed, it may appear as a Location in Files app. But again, this (integration with the Files app) is at the discretion of the drive producer and you absolutely depend on that app. iOS will not perform drive management for you.
    I am fully aware  that ios has not offered file managment. To me that sucks.
    and the argument that if i want file management i should resort to macos  sys does not hold water for me .
    ipad pro is advertized as get things done device.. file management is core to asset intensive content creation jobs. 
    So not having a robust user managable file  sys on ios on pro devices is a big handicap. 

The idea here is to bring ios up to that level for devices like ipads... 
    The  whole idea of ‘files’ is to remove this limitation of ‘no file managment in ios’. ....  apple took the initiatives  then imposed idiosyncratic limitations on it. ... to me its incoherent and an incomplete solution. 

See my  response to Thanx -ai..

PS.
    if Apple wanted to, they could easly create the initiative for external device makers to get on board.   But i guess they rather push people in icloud subscription. 
    Which bodes well for revenue and stock... but not the practicality and freedom of choice for the user. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 27 of 34
       Setting up a table in MS-WORD for a friend last night, he seemed to believe the only way to get to the file was to open WORD and then look for "recent".   I mentioned that there were other ways, but didn't go into detail.  It just wasn't worth it.   He was able to do what he needed to do.
    This is the type of person iPad is explicitly designed for. However, iPad Pro...that should be another story (but isn't yet. Almost but not quite). I see signals Apple are moving in this direction, so maybe we'll get there...incrementally.
    MartyvH
  • Reply 28 of 34

thanx_al said:
    jurassic said:

Never say "never". All Apple would have to do is allow Files.app the same privileges to store files locally as any other app that currently does. They should move in this direction. Constantly re-downloading files (often at great expense over LTE) keeps iPad from being a pro level laptop replacement. 
    The operating system is not built that way. What you request is the complete re-write of the operating system, you just want another Windows CE. That won't happen. Why would you constantly re-download files from iCloud Drive? Store them in the app repositories. There is a lot of file storage utilities in iOS each with their own repositories, use those to store files locally. If you are a "pro" you should have already mastered all those file storage utilities. This is a trivial issue you're lamenting about.
    Do not agree for one second. 
    An operating system with out a ‘CORE’ , consistant user managable files sys  is handicaped and inefficient for asset intensive work. 
    Pros like to spend their time creating.. not jumping between inconsistent  file management apps and the convoluted mish mash to get things done.
    ‘iOS is handicaped and not buit that way? .. fine... fix it... then advertize iPads on ios a Pro device. 

‘Files’ is a clear admission on Apple’s  end that a centralized file management sys is important... but yet they have handicaped it for business reasons( imo)
    Not cool 

edited September 2017 williamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Except not music or video locally stored on device. That still has to be managed via iTunes on the computer. smh
    Why not? Drop the files into iCloud Drive on the Mac or Windows (using the web interface) and see and enjoy them in the Files app on the iPad or iPhone.
    I don’t want them taking up iCloud space plus as far as I know 3rd party video apps can’t import from iCloud Drive.
    That is a limitation of that application. At least they must accept files shared via the Sharing panel. The file is initially stored in the download app's own repository. You tap the Share button and transfer it to the 3d party video app. If that 3d party video app does not appear there, then this is not the fault of iOS nor the initial download application. Use Infuse. It accepts files from many venues.
    I do use Infuse. It’s the only video app I use. I see now that it has iCloud sync. But I have a 256GB iPad with a lot of video stored locally. It’s Apple’s choice to sandbox this and not allow the files app access to this content.
    This is not Files app that doesn't allow access to Infuse's repository, this is just the opposite. Infuse does not allow Files app access its repositories. This is at the discretion of Infuse. It must be updated to allow access to Files app. Once it is updated, the Files app will show Infuse under Locations or in a folder.

You absolutely don't need iTunes to upload music and video files to your iPad. Install a file storage app in your iPad, there are many, search the AppStore. Most file storage apps show themselves as server in your LAN and provide WebDAV access. Open your PC browser, Explorer, Edge, Chrome or whatever, enter the IP address the file storage app shows to you and that's it, you're at that application's repository. Windows even can handle WebDAV directly and show it as a drive on your desktop. All of these are trivial issues, non-issue indeed... You may need iTunes for things other than file storage, such as metadata editing and alike...
    edited September 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 34
    thanx_al said:
    jurassic said:

"What you request is the complete re-write of the operating system"

So sad that many who oppose enhancements to iPads and iOS do so based on their fears and biases -- where they believe (or is it hope!) that mobile devices running iOS cannot and will not ever impinge on the sacred territory of laptops, desktops and (especially) Macs and MacBooks.

They just keep feeding that dying horse...
    What makes it particularly sad is that they are not aware that iOS was derived directly from MacOS where the primary user interfaces were stripped out because they did not work well on a device with a tiny screen, weak processor and little memory or storage.

Fortunately, Apple has never hesitated to cannibalize its own products in order to advance in total.  As Steve wisely advised:  'If we don't do it, somebody else will".  
  • Reply 31 of 34

thanx_al said:
    jurassic said:

Do not agree for one second. 
    An operating system with out a ‘CORE’ , consistant user managable files sys  is handicaped and inefficient for asset intensive work. 
    Pros like to spend their time creating.. not jumping between inconsistent  file management apps and the convoluted mish mash to get things done.
    ‘iOS is handicaped and not buit that way? .. fine... fix it... then advertize iPads on ios a Pro device. 

‘Files’ is a clear admission on Apple’s  end that a centralized file management sys is important... but yet they have handicaped it for business reasons( imo)
    Not cool 

Is it for business (profit) reasons?   Or, just to take baby steps?   Nobody is saying the the File App is frozen in time.   It seems to me to be more just a first step.

That said:   I think Apple could be moving much more aggressively to fulfill their promise that iPad is/will be a laptop killer.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 34

thanx_al said:
    Wireless drives work through their own apps. There is NO wired external hard drive support. Documents 6 works easier than Files.app for a direct drag and drop transfer, although Sandisk is now in Files.app. I would guess others (like WD) will soon show up there. 
    Thaxn Ai
    but then you say sandisk is now in files app... .. isnt that a form of wired external storage ? 

I hope to see some good choices of external drives compatible with files...  i find being limited to cloud Is.....well, very limiting .

PS.. downloaded documents 6... cool... nice interface... and seens it can support wireless drives...  but it has its limitations too.
    why cant Apple or somebody do a comprehensive fully consolidated files management  app. ??/
    For example.. documents 6  showes all my photos and  songs ..very cool... but does not show local app documents like garageband, etc. 
    Files on The other hand show files from apps that have exposed their files to iOS.... but it wont show photos in library or my music.

Apple makes the initiative to create a centralized files app.. then it handicaps it with limitations. 
    Actually, I expected to see photos and videos show up in Files also. That’s a significant oversight and needs to change.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 33 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator

thanx_al said:
    Thaxn Ai

Actually, I expected to see photos and videos show up in Files also. That’s a significant oversight and needs to change.
    It looks like the way they've done it is to pull files in from other apps to keep the files in their respective sandboxes so for local files, you'd need a 3rd party filesystem app. The following is a good app for this:

https://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowser/iOS11/

You'd dump your files/movies/photos in there and they should be accessible through the Files app for drag/drop, maybe drag and drop will work in that app itself. That app also supports NAS drives and web shares so you can have a network drive sitting with a bunch of files and copy to/from it wirelessly. If external access to the NAS is enabled using a share, it would be possible to stream movies from it when mobile as long as the home internet upload was fast enough.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Hello, for some reason I don’t see my iPad on the list of locations in Files, and can’t figure out how to fix it.  Can’t find any info on the net too.  Anybody know how to remedy this issue?  I tried reinstalling and it’s still the same.