Apple admits to LTE connection issues with Apple Watch Series 3 review units, says fix com...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    To anyone complaining that a simple test from Apple would have (should have) caught this: I'm confused. Connect to LTE and wifi. Obviously you'd prefer wifi over LTE but let's understand that if the WLAN doesn't have connectivity to the internet, the responsibility lies with the provider of the network not the Watch. Right? So they should disconnect from that wifi network to get back to the internet.

Are we suggesting that the devices should certify connectivity to some point(s)? If so, what point(s)? To Apple servers? Google? Spotify? How about a slow network? Does the watch need to know to switch to LTE if wifi is slow? Or spotty? What are we expecting here?
    edited September 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 53

themacman said:
    sog35 said:
    This is horrible.

Who the heck does testing at Apple now?  

Bozo the clown?

You figure with $200 billion in cash they would test these products to perfection.

This could be a real disaster year if people decide the iPhone X is too expensive and the iPhone 8 is actually the iPhone 6sss.

My God, Tim Cook.  You had such a great last 12 months, but you are slipping.
    Agreed. I remember Apple got so bad back in the system 7 days, where the startup progress bar would literally run past the gutter. iOS seems to be heading in that direction with subtle quality issues that will build up over time. BTW t-mobile offered me 3 month free for my Apple Watch. 
    Hyperbolic nonsense. Bugs exist, have always existed, will always exist. 
    Soliwilliamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 53

sog35 said:
    nht said:
    sog35 said:
    This is horrible.

Bozo the clown?

You figure with $200 billion in cash they would test these products to perfection.

This could be a real disaster year if people decide the iPhone X is too expensive and the iPhone 8 is actually the iPhone 6sss.

a) they've probably now added this to their battery of tests
    b) its a two minute fix for a dev
    c) they have $200B in cash because they have an efficient production process that has a robust rather than ridiculous levels of testing.

My buddy that was the PM for a major Army system told me about the differences between US testing and German engineering and testing on the 120mm gun that's on the M1 and the Leopard (the excellent Rheinmetall 120mm) .  It's been 20 years since that chat but the general gist is that we engineer for a few 9s worth of quality, build them, test them and throw away the barrels that don't meet spec.  The germans build for far more 9s to have fewer rejects and test to a higher spec.  Ours cost less, we build more and they shoot the same after you use them a bit. 

d) are you off your meds again?
    Why am i on meds?

Because I expect the main feature of the new Watch to work?

This is like an AppleTv not being able to connect to your Wifi
    Because you’ve demonstrated extremely manic swings before. Dramatically and absurdly. 

No, this isn’t like that at all. This bug happens only when using an unsecured public network that also doesn’t have connectivity. Not unheard of, but not the core use case either. 
    Soliwilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 53

tzeshan said:
    Verge earned credibility in reviewing.  WSJ got downgraded in reviewing. 
    No, Verge remains a troll rag staffed with pro-troll apple haters looking to push their narrative to their core readership of fandroids.
    nomadmacwilliamlondonrogifan_new
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Sounds like a simple bug in WiFi priority, a prior "feature" of iOS (giving priority even to non-functional but connected WiFi), although it didn't usually affect calls.  Not a tough fix.  Or just turn WiFi off (that is what is draining the battery anyway).  
  • Reply 26 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:
    This is horrible.

Bozo the clown?

...and, here we go. Off your fucking meds again, and going hysterical against Cook. Do you think he somehow witnessed these issues and said "release it anyway!"? Do you think he personally develops the software and does the testing? Do you NOT think the watch went through EXTENSIVE testing? Do you not know a fucking thing about hardware and software development? Are you not aware that it is IMPOSSIBLE to "perfect" anything before releasing it to the public, and some bugs are always discovered later no matter how throughly anything is tested? Do you NOT think Apple is investigating and issue a patch to this ASAP? Do you understand how much technology is inside the tiny Apple Watch? Are you aware there are like 10 other reviews that don't mention any LTE issues whatsoever? Of course you don't know any of these things, as your post history shows you to be nothing more than a reactionary nutcase without a shred of an ability to reflect or take anything with context.

Should we look forward to another 12 months of anti-Cook ranting from you, after you've been kissing his ass the last while because of your precious stock price? How much $$$ has Cook's Apple made you this year? No subtlety from you, ever. You're as entitled, greedy, and petty as ever. 
    edited September 2017 SoliwilliamlondonsingularityStrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 53
    You are assuming that this is not a planned “mistake”. I’m not prone to conspiracy theory, but does seem to represent a good opportunity for the share repurchase program to buy up shares right before iPhone X knocks it out of the park. The glitch seems like any easy fix, so only doom and gloom investors stand to lose from jumping ship.
    This is pure nonsense.
    Which part would that be, that Apple stands to make money from short term stock drops or that the fix is simple? 
    What part of your own silly claim about a "planned mistake" on Apple's part are you having trouble understanding?

Please go peddle your conspiracy crap elsewhere. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 53
    He's spot on, but please don't take his advice with the larger (non-Apple) issues facing the market.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/newest-apple-watch-getting-terrible-175535596.html

As for the bug, I guess this would mean that you can't make calls at SBux or whatever until you tap the ACCEPT button on a web browser...but, the larger question is whether you want your Wi-Fi Audio calls going over such networks in the first place. It's not just that they're less secure, but also that they tend to start dropping most of their packets when there are either a lot of users or a couple of people watching video or downloading software updates.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    tzeshan said:
    AAPL dropped big today because of this issue.  Apple will very likely missed estimate this quarter now. The delayed launch of X was supposed covered by the popularity of AW cellular. 
    Says who?
  • Reply 30 of 53
    He's spot on, but please don't take his advice with the larger (non-Apple) issues facing the market.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/newest-apple-watch-getting-terrible-175535596.html

As for the bug, I guess this would mean that you can't make calls at SBux or whatever until you tap the ACCEPT button on a web browser...but, the larger question is whether you want your Wi-Fi Audio calls going over such networks in the first place. It's not just that they're less secure, but also that they tend to start dropping most of their packets when there are either a lot of users or a couple of people watching video or downloading software updates.
    A link to Yahoo Finance? Yahoo Finance is complete garbage.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    You are assuming that this is not a planned “mistake”. I’m not prone to conspiracy theory, but does seem to represent a good opportunity for the share repurchase program to buy up shares right before iPhone X knocks it out of the park. The glitch seems like any easy fix, so only doom and gloom investors stand to lose from jumping ship.
    Blathering nonsense. If something like were true it would eventually get out AND it would be illegal to have done it intentionally. Apple would be in big trouble with the SEC. Adjust your meds and try again.
    StrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 53

A link to Yahoo Finance? Yahoo Finance is complete garbage.
    Yahoo Finance "news" may be, but just to clarify, Yahoo Finance data is unambiguously NOT.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    sog35 said:
    This is horrible.

Bozo the clown?

Quality control went in the grave with Steve Jobs who I claim would have never let the X out with a notch......REALLY?

• Reply 34 of 53
    Wait a minute. This ‘issue’ has been around for as long as i remember and now people complain about it? This is an old bug from wifi, or rather a feature for saving battery by trying to connect existing wifi including public one like McDonald, etc.

Essentially, the Series 3 GPS + Cellular watch tries to save battery life at all times by using your iPhone’s connection, or failing that, a Wi-Fi network. What’s happening here is that the watch is attempting to jump on a so-called “captive” network — a public network with an interstitial login prompt or terms and conditions agreement. (You’ve probably seen these at a Starbucks, McDonalds, or Panera.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 35 of 53
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    kevin kee said:
    Wait a minute. This ‘issue’ has been around for as long as i remember and now people complain about it? This is an old bug from wifi, or rather a feature for saving battery by trying to connect existing wifi including public one like McDonald, etc.

Essentially, the Series 3 GPS + Cellular watch tries to save battery life at all times by using your iPhone’s connection, or failing that, a Wi-Fi network. What’s happening here is that the watch is attempting to jump on a so-called “captive” network — a public network with an interstitial login prompt or terms and conditions agreement. (You’ve probably seen these at a Starbucks, McDonalds, or Panera.
    On iPhone you have to open Safari to see the login request. Since AW does not have Safari, you know what happened.  ;-)
    shapetablesStrangeDays
  • Reply 36 of 53
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:

On iPhone you have to open Safari to see the login request. Since AW does not have Safari, you know what happened.  ;-)
    It really isn’t a major issue. The way I see it, it is an an easy fix to only allow cellular connection or blocking public wifi on the Watch. Both will not save your battery life while you are out and about. In the meantime, bring your phone along will solve this problem.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:

It really isn’t a major issue. The way I see it, it is an an easy fix to only allow cellular connection or blocking public wifi on the Watch. Both will not save your battery life while you are out and about. In the meantime, bring your phone along will solve this problem.
    This is not an acceptable solution.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    The Apple Watch has always used WiFi in the background for its own "nefarious" purposes:   Location accuracy, syncing with the phone, etc...

I suspect that this may be a carryover from that rather than to tap into some unkown WiFi to transmit or receive data.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 39 of 53
    I will likely cancel my order for the black SS and stick with the Series 0, but not because of this issue (which is a hiccup that will surely and easily be fixed). It is because I am pissed that I cannot access my phone's songs and playlists.
    Siri works. Way easier than scrolling through hundreds or thousands of songs on a ~1.5” screen. 
  • Reply 40 of 53
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    sog35 said:
    This is horrible.

Bozo the clown?

Yes, this is definitely an embarrassment for Apple because the keystone feature of the product is shipping in a crippled state. 

To answer the first question, "Who the heck does testing at Apple now?" I sure hope the answer is "the team of developers and testers working in unison as the software is being developed." The days of throwing software over the wall from developers to a waiting cadre of dedicated testers waiting to add quality to it is a recipe for expensive late cycle failure. Quality has to be built-in incrementally, not added as an afterthought, and only features that are of release quality included in the product. If Apple was building-in quality, the Apple Watch Series 3 that was demonstrated on-stage for the September demo, mere days before the product was scheduled for customer availability, should only have contained those features that had met release quality criteria. Features that weren't release quality and still needed work to attain release quality requirements should not have been shown or included in the release, but scheduled for a later release. Instead, Apple chose to demonstrate features that were not release quality and defer quality to a later point in the release cycle, where the cost of quality will be at its highest point, and worse, when paying customers will be directly impacted. There isn't a good way to spin this for Apple, but it's unfortunately still a fairly common occurrence in software development these days. The saving grace is that Apple has provisions to fix their mistakes post-release by patching the code. That's okay, but still a crutch and not an excuse.

Not sure whether I'd pin this on Tim, but since he's the top person in the chain of responsibility and establishes the quality culture for the company, he should take whatever steps are necessary to fix the problem and make sure it doesn't happen again. And by "problem" I mean allowing Apple to only be as good as its industry peers when it comes to software development and software quality. Apple plays in its own league when it comes to innovation, design, and productization. Software is its weakest link. Tim needs to do whatever it takes to make sure Apple is also playing in its own league when it comes to software quality. It's not there yet - and this must change to avoid spoiling the whole deal.  
    williamlondon