AppleCare+ iPhone 8 back screen glass replacement $99, not screen repair cost of $29

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    The back glass on iPhone 4/4S was $29 to replace. However, it was a simple job that took just a couple of minutes and was just the back, nothing else.

I'm curious to hear what the out of warranty cost to replace a display is on 8/8+/X.  I've owned iPhones since 2008 and have never broken the display and I don't use a case.  I'm just careful. So, to me, the only reason it would make sense to get AppleCare+ was for the liquid damage, but now that iPhones are water resistant it seems like an even tougher sell.

The last couple of years I've felt it isn't particularly worth it to purchase AC+ when you consider it costs $129 in the first place and then, formerly, it was $79 (maybe $99?) to replace the display (before the price drop to $29) when a display replacement without AC+ was $129.  AppleCare+ extends the 1 year warranty to 2 and gives 2 incidents of accidental damage covered by a deductible. Before the price drop to $29 it made much less sense to pay $129 for AC+ if you were worried about display damage. On a 6/6s/7 without AC+ it would cost $260 for 2 display replacements.  With AC+ it would be $129 initially and then $79 and another $79 for 2 display replacements for a total of $287.  How did that make sense at all?

Full disclosure: I'm on the iUP which includes AppleCare+ now, so I get it anyway.  Before iUP I only got AppleCare+ on my iPhone 6, never before that.  But I've gotten on my iPad Pros because 1) it costs less to purchase than it does for iPhones and 2) WUR is $59, that decision seems elementary.
    I've done similiar math and came to the same conclusion = Apple Care not worth it.

Now if I had a history of dropping stuff, maybe.

I did the same calculation with buying a case. Same deal. Its not worth $50 to buy a case each year.  This is the 5th year I've had an iPhone without a case or Apple care and have not gotten a cracked screen yet.
    The thing is...shit happens and you never know when you might drop it, even if you are extremely careful. While yes its a pretty phone, I find my 6s impossible to use without a case because aluminum is EXTREMELY slippery. The phone slips out of my hands very easily and I'm not a klutz either. I have the same issue with the AppleTV remote for the same reason. The aluminum is too slippery. 

I'd be interested to see later today when I get my 8+ how slippery it is with the glass backing. I'd still use a case though. I always just use Apple's cases and it doesn't make the phone look ugly IMO. The case matches my Apple Watch band so I think thats cool. Plus, I don't need to show off my fancy phone. Everyone and their brother has one so its not like you have something different from everyone else in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather not draw attention to myself like that. 

IMO, thats the entire point of AppleCare+. Cracking the back of the phone is accidental which is covered under the $99 deductible. Why would anyone think the back should be $29 too? Apple wouldn't fix any other phone for less than $99 for anything other than the screen. I know this won't be a popular comment, but I think anyone bitching here is missing the point of AppleCare+. 
    Yes shit does happen. But I guess I'm just super careful with my phone.

I've dropped my phone a grand total of 2 times in the last 5 years.

its like holding a baby. I'm just really careful.

My daughter had her 7 setting on the counter top while she was cooking when she went to get something out of the cabinet the salt shaker fell and broke the front screen on it she had to pay to get it replaced we had Verizon insurance but going through them is impossible so we canceled that when Apple let you get AppleCare+ up to a year from buying it. Now we will never be without it for her as for me and my ex we don't carry it...

But how much does it cost to repair the screen without Apple Care?  I think it was $79 last year.

So you would have had to crack your screen 2 or 3 times just for Apple Care to be worth the price.
    AppleCare+ covers more than just cracked screens. You're forgetting about that. So yes...its still worth the price. 

Extended warranties are always debatable no matter what it is. Its a game of Russian roulette. Do you want to take the chance nothing will happen, or do you just want the comfort of knowing when shit does happen its covered? You could say the same thing about extended warranties on cars...even factory backed ones. Some think its a waste of money, some think its a waste of money and wish they bought it in the end, and some just plain think its always worth the money. 
    IMO, AppleCare is like buying an extended warranty on a Toyota.

The reason you buy a Toyota is because of their reliability. You pay EXTRA for that reliability. Thus why would I pay EVEN more money for an extended warranty?  It would make sense to get an extended warranty on Cars that are NOT reliable.

Same with Apple products.  I'm already paying EXTRA for the reliability and quality of Apple products. Why would I spend MORE for more protection?

Over the last 10 years I've purchased iPhones, iPads, AppleTV's, Mac's, iPods, Airports, and Apple Watches.  None of them needed repairs beyond the free warranty period.

On average, buying AppleCare is a losing proposition for the consumer.  AppleCare is not a non-profit charity program. Its a money maker for Apple. And we all know Apple makes huge margins on the products they sell.
    And 20% more to boot! 20% of an item's worth is an astronomical percentage for insurance. Term life insurance for 30 years is about 4% of the policy's payout. Car insurance on the 1st 5 years of a new car is (including collision) is roughly 10% of the purchase value of that car.

Of course, the more expensive something is to replace (or more difficult for you), the better it is to get insurance on it.

I'm with Sog here. I have so little in the way of problems with my Apple gear, I don't see a need for insurance, especially when you have to have more than one thing go wrong in order for the AppleCare to cover itself. We've had 4 broken screens in 24 phone-years of iPhone use and no other issues. That's 12 AC+ subscriptions at $99/129 a pop. Even if we had to completely replace 2 phones, we would still be ahead of the game.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    sog35 said:
    Its not worth $50 to buy a case each year.

I'm on the same (Spigen) case I got 3 years ago for $30. If you get a good case, it should last you more than a year. Of course it remains to be seen how a case affects wireless charging, too (if that's a feature that's important to you.)

I'm curious as to how prone to breaking the back of the 8/X is. They kept saying how 'incredibly strong' it is, but it is glass...my guess is there are going to be a lot of iPhone 8's out there with cracked backs.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    sog35 said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    The back glass on iPhone 4/4S was $29 to replace. However, it was a simple job that took just a couple of minutes and was just the back, nothing else.

I'm curious to hear what the out of warranty cost to replace a display is on 8/8+/X.  I've owned iPhones since 2008 and have never broken the display and I don't use a case.  I'm just careful. So, to me, the only reason it would make sense to get AppleCare+ was for the liquid damage, but now that iPhones are water resistant it seems like an even tougher sell.

The last couple of years I've felt it isn't particularly worth it to purchase AC+ when you consider it costs $129 in the first place and then, formerly, it was $79 (maybe $99?) to replace the display (before the price drop to $29) when a display replacement without AC+ was $129.  AppleCare+ extends the 1 year warranty to 2 and gives 2 incidents of accidental damage covered by a deductible. Before the price drop to $29 it made much less sense to pay $129 for AC+ if you were worried about display damage. On a 6/6s/7 without AC+ it would cost $260 for 2 display replacements.  With AC+ it would be $129 initially and then $79 and another $79 for 2 display replacements for a total of $287.  How did that make sense at all?

Full disclosure: I'm on the iUP which includes AppleCare+ now, so I get it anyway.  Before iUP I only got AppleCare+ on my iPhone 6, never before that.  But I've gotten on my iPad Pros because 1) it costs less to purchase than it does for iPhones and 2) WUR is $59, that decision seems elementary.
    I've done similiar math and came to the same conclusion = Apple Care not worth it.

I did the same calculation with buying a case. Same deal. Its not worth $50 to buy a case each year.  This is the 5th year I've had an iPhone without a case or Apple care and have not gotten a cracked screen yet.
    The thing is...shit happens and you never know when you might drop it, even if you are extremely careful. While yes its a pretty phone, I find my 6s impossible to use without a case because aluminum is EXTREMELY slippery. The phone slips out of my hands very easily and I'm not a klutz either. I have the same issue with the AppleTV remote for the same reason. The aluminum is too slippery. 

I'd be interested to see later today when I get my 8+ how slippery it is with the glass backing. I'd still use a case though. I always just use Apple's cases and it doesn't make the phone look ugly IMO. The case matches my Apple Watch band so I think thats cool. Plus, I don't need to show off my fancy phone. Everyone and their brother has one so its not like you have something different from everyone else in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather not draw attention to myself like that. 

IMO, thats the entire point of AppleCare+. Cracking the back of the phone is accidental which is covered under the $99 deductible. Why would anyone think the back should be $29 too? Apple wouldn't fix any other phone for less than $99 for anything other than the screen. I know this won't be a popular comment, but I think anyone bitching here is missing the point of AppleCare+. 

My daughter had her 7 setting on the counter top while she was cooking when she went to get something out of the cabinet the salt shaker fell and broke the front screen on it she had to pay to get it replaced we had Verizon insurance but going through them is impossible so we canceled that when Apple let you get AppleCare+ up to a year from buying it. Now we will never be without it for her as for me and my ex we don't carry it...

But how much does it cost to repair the screen without Apple Care?  I think it was $79 last year.

So you would have had to crack your screen 2 or 3 times just for Apple Care to be worth the price.
    Without AppleCare+ a display replacement on a 7 is $129 and $149 (I think, possibly $159) on a 7+.
    It's $36.99 for the 7, $37.99 for the 7 plus (just checked on Amazon).  AppleCare isn't worth it, I can use a screwdriver.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    darkvader said:
    sog35 said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:

Without AppleCare+ a display replacement on a 7 is $129 and $149 (I think, possibly $159) on a 7+.
    It's $36.99 for the 7, $37.99 for the 7 plus (just checked on Amazon).  AppleCare isn't worth it, I can use a screwdriver.
    Well, sure, if you want to do it yourself and deal with the inherent risks and potential poor quality that brings with it.  And, have you actually replaced the display on a 6/6s/7 series iPhone? It involves more than just removing 2 screws.  Don’t get me wrong, at this point I don’t feel that AppleCare+ is worth it on an iPhone either (iPads and Macs it’s a different story).  But I have seen plenty of DIY display replacements where the display had a funny color cast to it or multi-touch was no longer working.  That isn’t what I, personally, would like just to save a little money.

I’ve also seen more bad repairs by third party shops than most.  People are generally pretty pissed when they “saved” money going to a third party only to have some other weird issue crop up a month later when they could have gone to Apple from the start and not have to deal with another repair and spending even more money.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    What a grammatically incoherent headline!

"AppleCare+ iPhone 8 back screen glass replacement $99, not screen repair cost of $29"

First, the back is NOT a *screen*!  Second, there is no verb in the headline.  Third, it says the back is getting a *replacement*, while the screen is being *repaired*.  Fourth... well, you get the Idea!

How about:

"AppleCare+ charges $99 to replace iPhone 8 back glass, but only $29 for front screen"

Or, some such!

Shorter and sweeter!
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 26 of 27
    As to whether Apple Care is worth it depends upon how one judges their own risk-disaster-cost-expense equation -- not whether it is profitable for Apple!

Of course, it is profitable for Apple!  But that doesn't mean it isn't worth it for a consumer.  For example, if I'm spending $1,500-$1,800 on a laptop, I'll get Square Trade or Apple Care for $170-250 because there is a large enough likelihood of a quality control issue such that I do not want to have to spend $500 or more to replace a motherboard, $100 on a battery, several hundred dollars on keyboard replacement, etc.  It's worth it knowing that Apple will replace things quickly and well.  (No need to find a 3rd party repair service, eithe!)  I've used AC on products in the past and Apple has gone the extra mile, fixing all manner of things, which would have cost total 5-10x the AC cost.  I don't worry about accidental damage with laptops because when I transport it, it is in a padded case.

OTOH, if I buy a mobile device such as an iPad or iPhone that is in my hands, being carried around, handed to another, moved from one hand to another, I want accidental damage and handling, including water damage, which Square Trade covers.  If a family member inadvertently drops my iPhone, I want to reassure them that it was no big deal as we're covered by AC+ or ST.

The problem now is that the no-deductible policies are much harder to come by, deductibles are rising, and costs of policies greater -- and local repairs cheaper.  All that makes buying AC or ST harder to justify, especially for lower cost purchases, than it did in the past.

Even if unintended, declarations that one isn't accident prone come off as smug put downs of others (especially when sweepingly portraying those who buy cases as accident-prone!).  Those who haven't had a drop and eschew cases or AC are much like those who say they've never lost any documents due to a hard drive failure and so don't worry about backing up!  Eventually, a drop or drive failure will happen.  

The question is whether one wants the easy assurance they are covered, with an easy low-cost or no-cost  route to a fix -- or, whether one wants to spends time finding a repair service, vetting it, being unsure of its quality, etc.  I'd rather be covered, but the costs are making the harder to justify,