Apple patent for ultrasonic force sensor could lead to iPhone with under-screen Touch ID

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    rogifan_new said:
    No. Craig Federighi told John Gruber that Touch ID under the display was plan B and once they nailed Face ID they stopped working on Touch ID. So the narrative that Face ID exists because Apple couldn’t get Touch ID under the display to work is just plain false. Apple has lots of patents for things that may or may not come to market. 
    He would say that even if it wasn't true. Can you imagine him saying that they wanted Touch ID but couldn't get it to work so went with plan B?
  • Reply 22 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    Underscreen fingerprint sensing has been demoed already. Apple seem to be focusing on Face ID going forward. Or am I wrong?
    No. Craig Federighi told John Gruber that Touch ID under the display was plan B and once they nailed Face ID they stopped working on Touch ID. So the narrative that Face ID exists because Apple couldn’t get Touch ID under the display to work is just plain false. Apple has lots of patents for things that may or may not come to market. 
    I never mentioned any such narrative.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    One thing to consider with anything finger-related, is that as we know from previous patents and progression to the Touch Bar and larger trackpad, that Apple is actively working on moving to a completely virtual control surface on MacBooks. Individual finger recognition could aid greatly with determining what is where and intending to do what. Instead of setting up Touch ID, a new MacBook might ask you to place all ten fingers on the control area of your MacBook and register your fingers. I won't speculate as to how that might apply to real world use, but there are a LOT of previous patents pointing to virtual keys and haptic feedback and so on. Not sure this is related to all that, but could apply to all sorts of virtual control surfaces on iPads or your smart iJacket sleeve or whatever the fuck.