Super fast bionic glass: iPhone 8 Review

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

Jellygoop said:
    Jellygoop said:
    Guys, is this an objective review or a marketing sheet from Apple? I love Apple products and am a committed customer but I really wish this site would also do a serious review about the fact that many of us are really disappointed with the 8/X/Watch offerings.
    Anecdotal. Many others are really happy with the 8/ Watch offerings. I don't know how you can be disappointed with the X without actually playing around with one. 

Maybe if you took the time to think of what is actually being offered by Apple, beyond your narrow perspective, you'd look at these new models in a different way.
    If you can be elated about the X without having used it then I can be disappointed - you can't have it both ways.
    (If you did have access to it at the launch, I'm guessing it wasn't for long)

There are a number of other reputable sites that regularly review Apple products and they have been able to provide a more balanced account than this one.
    Checkout the Macrumours review.  Overall it is a positive review but it takes the time to acknowledge that the general consensus is very mixed and it lists examples of opposing reviews for comparison.   https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-8/
    If you want a far more balanced review again, see The Verge  https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/16323570/apple-new-iphone-8-review-plus-2017
    Both of these reviews take time to list the shortcomings in far more detail - as well as celebrate the advances.
    And both MR and Verge are troll sites....clearly we see your perspective now. 

Also, what proof do you have that bestkeptsecret is “elated” about the X?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 34

I bought an iPhone 8 yesterday and I'm just not "feeling" it. I'm feeling burned on all the marketing hype. It's not as beautiful as reviews have said. The speed is invisible to me. I'm thinking of returning it.
     It’s literally the fastest smartphone on earth. What are you going to use instead?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 23 of 34
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    "You can see an edge but it's almost impossible to feel"

I was wondering this! No other review I've seen has mentioned it. On my 7 the seam is pronounced enough to ruin the perfect pebble feel of the device, I'm not sure if it's just manufacturing variance, or all of the 8s are produced better than the 7's there? 

"There is also another disadvantage to hiking the screen resolution just for bragging rights: more pixels put additional load on the processor. Unless that additional resolution offers a true advantage (iPhone 4 radically enhanced the sharpness of the UI with higher pixel density; iPhone 5 added breathing room to the Home screen and apps with a taller new display aspect ratio; iPhone 6 introduced larger screen sizes), that processing capacity can be better put to use elsewhere."

While I don't think the 4.7 inch needed to jump to 4K or even 1080p or anything, the 750p display on my 7 does leave a lot to be desired imo, it's very easy to see the jaggies with normal vision around icons and text. 900p at least would have been nice. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 24 of 34

I took the reviews appearing on these sites on their merits, standalone.  I didn't see anything in those reviews that appeared to be trolling Apple as an organisation or iPhones in general.  They presented arguments for and against with balanced measure. I didn't see the same approach in this review.
    If MR & verge lack credibility for you, try the Wall Street Journal review instead.  It has a solid reputation as a news agency.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/iphone-8-review-not-the-upgrade-youre-looking-for-1505818800

Maybe "elated" is too big a stretch.  How about "not disappointed" or even "actually impressed". 
    The choice of verb is not really that important to the point that was being made (ie. both parties are forming an opinion without having seen the X).

• Reply 25 of 34

I bought an iPhone 8 yesterday and I'm just not "feeling" it. I'm feeling burned on all the marketing hype. It's not as beautiful as reviews have said. The speed is invisible to me. I'm thinking of returning it.
     It’s literally the fastest smartphone on earth. What are you going to use instead?
    I think that's the point isn't it?  All this extra power under the hood, but no massive change to my everyday use of it's core functions and workflow.

• Reply 26 of 34
    Jellygoop said:

I took the reviews appearing on these sites on their merits, standalone.  I didn't see anything in those reviews that appeared to be trolling Apple as an organisation or iPhones in general.  They presented arguments for and against with balanced measure. I didn't see the same approach in this review.
    If MR & verge lack credibility for you, try the Wall Street Journal review instead.  It has a solid reputation as a news agency.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/iphone-8-review-not-the-upgrade-youre-looking-for-1505818800

Maybe "elated" is too big a stretch.  How about "not disappointed" or even "actually impressed". 
    The choice of verb is not really that important to the point that was being made (ie. both parties are forming an opinion without having seen the X).

CLick baitness is generalized now, so I consider almost all initial reviews dodgy at best.
    Titles being in bad faith is a given for a large swat of the internet.

Les see how I can get a few million clicks in a few days.  "Apple Watch unusable at launch, has Apple lost its ways".
    These kind of shit titles, with pseudo hipster narratives, are the norm these days.

And so on, most titles these days would be called yellow journalism in the early 1900s. Not aiming to inform and build a reputation. but to play to biases of the audience.
    People actually looking for neutral reviews are almost out of luck really.

The Verge is the worse, they routinely have inflammatory headlines about Apple. Go see their initial review of the series 0 Apple watch. Patel deserves a kick in the ass for that alone.
    edited September 2017 fastasleepjcs2305
  • Reply 27 of 34
    tipoo said:

I was wondering this! No other review I've seen has mentioned it. On my 7 the seam is pronounced enough to ruin the perfect pebble feel of the device, I'm not sure if it's just manufacturing variance, or all of the 8s are produced better than the 7's there? 

"There is also another disadvantage to hiking the screen resolution just for bragging rights: more pixels put additional load on the processor. Unless that additional resolution offers a true advantage (iPhone 4 radically enhanced the sharpness of the UI with higher pixel density; iPhone 5 added breathing room to the Home screen and apps with a taller new display aspect ratio; iPhone 6 introduced larger screen sizes), that processing capacity can be better put to use elsewhere."

While I don't think the 4.7 inch needed to jump to 4K or even 1080p or anything, the 750p display on my 7 does leave a lot to be desired imo, it's very easy to see the jaggies with normal vision around icons and text. 900p at least would have been nice. 
    Considering the UI on Android doesn't really follow the resolution, it's even worse there.  You must have a better vision than me cause I can't really see jaggies anywhere (I wear glasses with a big ass prescription so that explains things).  Apple right now I think renders to a bigger screen and then scales down in hardware (to make it easier on develloppers to create cross platform apps).

I think around 400-450dpi is just about the max resolution where it actually makes a difference in static dark on white lines. The 7+ I think is close to that.
    When it is not text, or video, it certainly does not matter because our eyes are not good at discerning details while something moves, or if there is a lot of shading.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Jellygoop said:

I think that's the point isn't it?  All this extra power under the hood, but no massive change to my everyday use of it's core functions and workflow.

So you don't really push the limits of what a phone can do, right? Not shooting lots of photos and videos? Not going to try AR apps or studio lighting in photos or edit movies or do any number of things with apps that haven't even been updated to take advantage of ARKit, machine learning, so on.

I met this dude the other day who had just ended up with a Note 8 or whatever the fuck Samsung's $960 phone is right now (BUT Apple's too expensive! I digress...) He was like "I don't even know what to do with this thing" and I was like dude you have a powerful computer in your hand — what do you want to do with it? I listed off a bunch of possibilities until his eyes lit up when I said he could film, edit, score, and release an entire movie on his phone. And I think he's gonna do it.

The limits are your imagination, and I have the feeling you don't push your imagination very much with the hardware you have. If you just check mail and browse the web and Facebook and watch YouTube, you probably could've stuck with whatever you were using before and saved yourself the trouble.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Jellygoop said:
    "Solid"...as in, "not as bad as Forbes" maybe.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,701member
    Jellygoop said:

So you don't really push the limits of what a phone can do, right? Not shooting lots of photos and videos? Not going to try AR apps or studio lighting in photos or edit movies or do any number of things with apps that haven't even been updated to take advantage of ARKit, machine learning, so on.

I met this dude the other day who had just ended up with a Note 8 or whatever the fuck Samsung's $960 phone is right now (BUT Apple's too expensive! I digress...) He was like "I don't even know what to do with this thing" and I was like dude you have a powerful computer in your hand — what do you want to do with it? I listed off a bunch of possibilities until his eyes lit up when I said he could film, edit, score, and release an entire movie on his phone. And I think he's gonna do it.

The limits are your imagination, and I have the feeling you don't push your imagination very much with the hardware you have. If you just check mail and browse the web and Facebook and watch YouTube, you probably could've stuck with whatever you were using before and saved yourself the trouble.
    This is part of reality. There is only so much you would realistically want to do on a phone.

You could do many things if you put your mind and energy into it but I think most people want a basic communication device (text, images, voice and video) and are very happy in the mid tier level. Using the phone for capture and a tablet or computer for editing would be a better workflow (if possible).

The OP might have the extra power along with the material design, nice quality screen, higher base storage etc but the extra power - today - goes unnoticed for many people as they simply don't need it for the tasks you mention. I think Apple sees this as reality too and that's why we now have an enormous price spread and almost full range of hardware options. For those, like yourself, who want FaceID and the A11, there are the high end options but there are now options running right down the line. Yes, you will be getting older tech in exchange for paying less but I doubt people will really miss being on the crest of the wave.

One of the biggest criticisms of a Spanish language national newspaper review was that if you only used a moderate amount of photos and 4K videos you were going to run out of space very quickly on the 64GB model and fall into the juggling for for space routine.

Another point is how you see a phone as a 'unit'. Do you value a fast stable modem in a phone that can hold connections in difficult scenarios? Do you like the 'feel' or fit and finish and colour of this or that phone? The AI capabilities. The option of dual SIM, extra storage, fast charging etc. 

AR might be another factor in the space of the average consumer but right now it isn't.

If it takes off it might create demand from more people but this year won't be the year that it happens. 

I see your point and you are right in what you say but I also see the point of the OP and he is also right. Whether he returns the phone for a cheaper option or decides to wait till next year or just keeps it anyway, is something he'll have to ponder over the coming days.

• Reply 31 of 34
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    foggyhill said:
    tipoo said:

Considering the UI on Android doesn't really follow the resolution, it's even worse there.  You must have a better vision than me cause I can't really see jaggies anywhere (I wear glasses with a big ass prescription so that explains things).  Apple right now I think renders to a bigger screen and then scales down in hardware (to make it easier on develloppers to create cross platform apps).

I think around 400-450dpi is just about the max resolution where it actually makes a difference in static dark on white lines. The 7+ I think is close to that.
    When it is not text, or video, it certainly does not matter because our eyes are not good at discerning details while something moves, or if there is a lot of shading.

450PPI is good - the Plus is that. 

I was saying the 326PPI regular is visibly worse than that, so I think you agree? On the Plus the jaggies are hard to notice, on the regular 7/8 they're pretty easy. And yeah I was talking about static screens, the home screen icons, notification dots, etc. 

Even if you can't see the individual pixels, if you put an 8 and an 8 Plus side by side, you can still notice extra perceived sharpness, partly why the old resolution vs distance charts for HDTVs were based on flawed science. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 32 of 34
    tipoo said:
    foggyhill said:
    tipoo said:

450PPI is good - the Plus is that. 

I was saying the 326PPI regular is visibly worse than that, so I think you agree? On the Plus the jaggies are hard to notice, on the regular 7/8 they're pretty easy. And yeah I was talking about static screens, the home screen icons, notification dots, etc. 

Even if you can't see the individual pixels, if you put an 8 and an 8 Plus side by side, you can still notice extra perceived sharpness, partly why the old resolution vs distance charts for HDTVs were based on flawed science. 
    The chart actually is OK for VIDEO OR SHADED CONTENT, but it doesn't translate too well to static content with lots of contrast (like text) or most UI. TV's tend to blow out the whites (or transitions between light and dark) anyway at most settings people use so you'd lose that content anyway.  That's why HDR TV's which can create localized hotspots are great improvement for 4K tvs.

People saying eyes can actually perceive 700+dpi is also based on misconception of those studies. It's only real on white paper with crisply printed text under great lighting at a standard reading distance. No screen approaches this and likely they never will.

For watching videos in normal viewing conditions, not the chart if not exact is a good ballpark approximation. Since most people are much farther than that chart's number, quibbling on the chart doesn't make a difference. Watching a non HDR 50 inch 4K TV at 10 feet doesn't give you anything; if it is a 4K HDR, then that TV is worth it.

• Reply 33 of 34
    avon b7 said:
    Jellygoop said:

This is part of reality. There is only so much you would realistically want to do on a phone.

You could do many things if you put your mind and energy into it but I think most people want a basic communication device (text, images, voice and video) and are very happy in the mid tier level. Using the phone for capture and a tablet or computer for editing would be a better workflow (if possible).

The OP might have the extra power along with the material design, nice quality screen, higher base storage etc but the extra power - today - goes unnoticed for many people as they simply don't need it for the tasks you mention. I think Apple sees this as reality too and that's why we now have an enormous price spread and almost full range of hardware options. For those, like yourself, who want FaceID and the A11, there are the high end options but there are now options running right down the line. Yes, you will be getting older tech in exchange for paying less but I doubt people will really miss being on the crest of the wave.

One of the biggest criticisms of a Spanish language national newspaper review was that if you only used a moderate amount of photos and 4K videos you were going to run out of space very quickly on the 64GB model and fall into the juggling for for space routine.

Another point is how you see a phone as a 'unit'. Do you value a fast stable modem in a phone that can hold connections in difficult scenarios? Do you like the 'feel' or fit and finish and colour of this or that phone? The AI capabilities. The option of dual SIM, extra storage, fast charging etc. 

AR might be another factor in the space of the average consumer but right now it isn't.

If it takes off it might create demand from more people but this year won't be the year that it happens. 

I see your point and you are right in what you say but I also see the point of the OP and he is also right. Whether he returns the phone for a cheaper option or decides to wait till next year or just keeps it anyway, is something he'll have to ponder over the coming days.

Part of the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't make sense for someone who had something that was "good enough" to go out and buy the latest shiny at full price if they're not even pushing the limits of what they have. Hence they are underwhelmed when they go to do the same limited things they did on the last model and don't see the benefit. And I agree that the whole lineup of past models and price points makes perfect sense in that context for many types of customers, the OP included.