Review: Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular further establishes an emerging computing platf...

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    nhughes said:
    I am very disappointed with the battery life of this product. Especially adding LTE which uses a lot of battery. I was looking forward to the AW3 doing sleep tracking but I do not think it does. If it did, the 18 hour battery charge would not be adequate. Too bad.

There are some third-party apps that do sleep tracking. Light Apple Watch users report getting 2-3 days out of the latest model before recharging (and they have with previous models), but presumably that involves little to no LTE use.

It's worth noting that iOS does support the ability to connect multiple Apple Watches to one iPhone. This could allow someone to have a "dressy" edition or stainless steel model alongside a "sporty" aluminum one. It could also allow someone to keep an older model around (say, a first-gen owner who buys a Series 3) and use that one at night for sleep tracking with third-party apps.
    You are saying I could use 2 AW if I want to do sleep tracking with Apple? That is ridiculous and economically unwise. Apple should have improved the battery life. There are other "smart"watch companies that have better battery life, for example, Garmin's vivoactive HR watch has a 5 day battery life and does sleep tracking. The Apple Watch, without better battery life,  is actually useless for me. 
  • Reply 82 of 88
    schlack said:
    first gen Apple Watch owner here...nice to see the incremental improvements. wrt the authors question on the length of the lifecycle of the Apple Watch, mine is now 2 yrs old and I feel zero desire to upgrade and very minimal feature envy wrt the newer models. that's a good thing in my book. what would cause me to upgrade? more health sensing (body temp, glucose, oxygen levels, etc...anything that gives me insight into my body). significantly longer battery life (not incremental, but like 1 week battery life, so a ways off). novel features, like the ability to unlock and start my car, call for help automatically if my vitals look wrong, etc.
    I just discovered that my Series 3 AW is recording VO2 max from somewhere. I don’t know if this a WatchOS 4 thing or related to the new watch. I don’t remember it being mentioned anywhere. 

You can find the measurement in the Health app under Activity. I would love to know if this is the first step towards a blood oxygen meter. 
  • Reply 83 of 88
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    If Steve were still around that red crown would not be there. 
  • Reply 84 of 88
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,282member
    Not sure if anyone still watching these comments but my daughter bought one and a patient barfed on it while she was working. I can't find anything that talks about sanitizing or even cleaning the Apple Watch. Has anyone found statements from Apple that talks about cleaning? They're pushing it for hospitals so they have to have thought about it. 

Thanks
  • Reply 85 of 88
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    nhughes said:
    I am very disappointed with the battery life of this product. Especially adding LTE which uses a lot of battery. I was looking forward to the AW3 doing sleep tracking but I do not think it does. If it did, the 18 hour battery charge would not be adequate. Too bad.

There are some third-party apps that do sleep tracking. Light Apple Watch users report getting 2-3 days out of the latest model before recharging (and they have with previous models), but presumably that involves little to no LTE use.

It's worth noting that iOS does support the ability to connect multiple Apple Watches to one iPhone. This could allow someone to have a "dressy" edition or stainless steel model alongside a "sporty" aluminum one. It could also allow someone to keep an older model around (say, a first-gen owner who buys a Series 3) and use that one at night for sleep tracking with third-party apps.
    You are saying I could use 2 AW if I want to do sleep tracking with Apple? That is ridiculous and economically unwise. Apple should have improved the battery life. There are other "smart"watch companies that have better battery life, for example, Garmin's vivoactive HR watch has a 5 day battery life and does sleep tracking. The Apple Watch, without better battery life,  is actually useless for me. 
    1) You can do it with one Watch. Am I the only one that puts their watch in Airplane Mode at night and can get 2 days easily on Series 0? I even did that to get 3 days out of a hike throw the mountains. The only gripes there was the lack of an altimeter so my elevation could be recorded and having it understand the terrain so it can better calculate the caloric burn and move goal with a 40lb pack and rough terrain.

2) I was considering keeping my Series 0 paired with an iPhone app specifically for sleep monitoring when I got my Series 3 (people do buy newer Apple products so it's not unrealistic that original Watch buyer would have a 2nd Watch at this point) but I decided to give it away. Still, even with my current tests of leaving my iPhone at home to stream music and make calling via my BT headphones I could easily use my Watch for sleep monitoring like I did with Series 0. The "trick" is to charge it when you're in the shower and getting ready.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 86 of 88
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    jdb8167 said:
    schlack said:
    first gen Apple Watch owner here...nice to see the incremental improvements. wrt the authors question on the length of the lifecycle of the Apple Watch, mine is now 2 yrs old and I feel zero desire to upgrade and very minimal feature envy wrt the newer models. that's a good thing in my book. what would cause me to upgrade? more health sensing (body temp, glucose, oxygen levels, etc...anything that gives me insight into my body). significantly longer battery life (not incremental, but like 1 week battery life, so a ways off). novel features, like the ability to unlock and start my car, call for help automatically if my vitals look wrong, etc.
    I just discovered that my Series 3 AW is recording VO2 max from somewhere. I don’t know if this a WatchOS 4 thing or related to the new watch. I don’t remember it being mentioned anywhere. 

You can find the measurement in the Health app under Activity. I would love to know if this is the first step towards a blood oxygen meter. 
    1) The minimal data it needs to calculate your VO2 Max is from your pulse and age, but it could be using more data points in a more complex equation for a more accurate result.

2) Where are you seeing your VO2 Max noted?

edit: I see, it's in the Health app on the iPhone, which may actually get calculated on the iPhone.

edited October 2017
  • Reply 87 of 88
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    rob53 said:
    Not sure if anyone still watching these comments but my daughter bought one and a patient barfed on it while she was working. I can't find anything that talks about sanitizing or even cleaning the Apple Watch. Has anyone found statements from Apple that talks about cleaning? They're pushing it for hospitals so they have to have thought about it. 

Thanks
    Just run it under the sink and rotate the digital crown. The cleaning process has been the same since the first-gen model, which was technically water resistant though not "certified" for swim use (many people, myself included, swam and showered fine with the first watch). Series 2 and 3 are officially water resistant, though, so feel free to submerse it to de-barf.