Apple's video execs hunting for 'big, smart, splashy dramas,' taking pitches from agencies...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    jsmythe00 said:
    6502 said:
    I wish Apple would just concentrate on tech and delivering great new hardware and software products. This is just a distraction.
    Lol your post was a distraction. This is a must and a win if Apple gets this right
    Wow, what a zinger.
  • Reply 22 of 33

I’m all for Apple getting into media even though it’s not their strong suit. It’s a little messy, but if the media moguls are going to continue to be difficult, then screw’em. 

That said, it’s very clear, that something at Apple needs to change for it to be at all successful. 

Apple has been trying their media/culture/social expansion for a few years now, and they’ve gotten almost nowhere. The significant ground they have made can be attributed to basically 2 sources:

1) their history of music industry dominance and clout, which carried over into Apple Music, and 2) their purchase of Beats (an excellent decision, for many reasons), which gave them inroads into culture/social that they otherwise wouldn’t have.

Otherwise, Apple’s media/culture/social expansion has been horribly bumbled. The most telling example: How the hell can Apple take two years to release any meaningful social integration into the most social aspect of their company: Apple Music. And when they do, it’s so anemic as to be almost pointless. Basically you get pics of your friends on some songs, and you can share playlists. That’s it. No customization at all. No other form of self expression (the cornerstone of any successful social service). No ability to even add a comment to your playlist, or a customized background, or an ‘about you’ comment....... Nothing. I personally know DJs who would like to use it, who are even Apple fans, but who don’t plan to use it because there’s no point. It’s shamefully inept.

Apples media/culture/social endeavors thus far, despite years of effort, have been very disappointing, to say the least:

-no big TV content deal

-carpool karaoke and planet of the apps seem to be largely failures 

-Apple Music (which I use nearly every single day; I’m loving the new chill playlists) has several flaws, and is fatally flawed as a social app (Apple is squandering a HUGE opportunity there).

-Beats 1 is great station, but doesn’t seem very popular

-Apple news doesn’t seem to be much of a success (advertisers and content dropping out). The reason is glaringly obvious: lack of compelling reason to use it, Apple news just regurgitates the same silo’d biases in the media at large, which helps no one, and is no different than getting your news off of Facebook.

I don’t know why Apple has so many glaring blind spots when it comes to media/culture/social, but it’s more than just lack of experience. There are so many simple, common sense oversights. I hope Apple figures out how do improve in these areas. 

• Reply 23 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    6502 said:
    sog35 said:
    6502 said:
    I wish Apple would just concentrate on tech and delivering great new hardware and software products. This is just a distraction.
    Apple isn't a hardware or software company.

Apple is an ecosystem company.

Once you understand that you will know that they must get into content creation.  Music, Video, and Gaming.

Its all about making the Apple ecosystem as sticky as possible. 
    No, Apple is a hardware company that makes software that works great with it. There is nothing new or innovative in producing original music, movies or series. It won't make Apple their next $100B.
    You have three sentences in a single paragraph that shouldn't even be used in the thought.

First of all, your initial sentence is wrong. Apple is a HW company, a SW company, and a services company. You're at least partially correct since you state they're a company that designs HW, unlike Sog that claims that neither do HW or SW.

Then you claim that production of entertainment mediums like music and video can't be innovative. That's also incorrect.

Finally, you try to conclude that it's all pointless if it doesn't make Apple $100 billion. How much did the original Apple TV make Apple? How much do you think that FaceTime Audio or iMessage Stickers has made Apple? How much money do you think that Accessibility in their OSes has made Apple?

Bottom line is that any claim that Apple shouldn't do this or that is foolish, especially when they're already benefiting from this or that. Every year we have people claiming Apple should stick with their core concepts. I've heard people saying Apple should dump macOS nee Mac OS X and adopt Windows since MS won, that they should doubles down on the iPod since that's where most of their money is from, to saying they can't possibly do a smartphone because it's such a saturated field, to saying the iPad is a failure before it's even launched since MS couldn't make it viable for several decades prior and it doesn't even real OS, to claiming that buying Beats was Apple losing its direction and wasting money on a "thug," to claiming that Apple can't possibly design better ARM chips than the "expert" in this field, to you claiming that Apple can't possibly create any original content that will help sell their services and devices.

Personally, I only just signed up for my free 3 month trial of Apple Music so I could watch an episode of Carpool Karaoke. I'm not sure I'll keep the service, but I still have over 2 months to make that decision. Regardless, it got my foot in the door which is what Apple was counting on when they purchased the rights to that series.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Soli said:
    6502 said:
    sog35 said:
    6502 said:

Once you understand that you will know that they must get into content creation.  Music, Video, and Gaming.

No, Apple is a hardware company that makes software that works great with it. There is nothing new or innovative in producing original music, movies or series. It won't make Apple their next $100B.
    You have three sentences in a single paragraph that shouldn't even be used in the thought.

First of all, your initial sentence is wrong. Apple is a HW company, a SW company, and a services company. You're at least partially correct since you state they're a company that designs HW, unlike Sog that claims that neither do HW or SW.

Then you claim that production of entertainment mediums like music and video can't be innovative. That's also incorrect.

Finally, you try to conclude that it's all pointless if it doesn't make Apple $100 billion. How much did the original Apple TV make Apple? How much do you think that FaceTime Audio or iMessage Stickers has made Apple? How much money do you think that Accessibility in their OSes has made Apple?

Bottom line is that any claim that Apple shouldn't do this or that is foolish, especially when they're already benefiting from this or that. Every year we have people claiming Apple should stick with their core concepts. I've heard people saying Apple should dump macOS nee Mac OS X and adopt Windows since MS won, that they should doubles down on the iPod since that's where most of their money is from, to saying they can't possibly do a smartphone because it's such a saturated field, to saying the iPad is a failure before it's even launched since MS couldn't make it viable for several decades prior and it doesn't even real OS, to claiming that buying Beats was Apple losing its direction and wasting money on a "thug," to claiming that Apple can't possibly design better ARM chips than the "expert" in this field, to you claiming that Apple can't possibly create any original content that will help sell their services and devices.

Personally, I only just signed up for my free 3 month trial of Apple Music so I could watch an episode of Carpool Karaoke. I'm not sure I'll keep the service, but I still have over 2 months to make that decision. Regardless, it got my foot in the door which is what Apple was counting on when they purchased the rights to that series.
    I didn't know you were the thought police. Btw, you have a nearly 6 line sentence, maybe you should think about breaking it up.

Apple is a HW company by every measure (# products, revenue); it has software and services to sell its HW (more or less). Even Apple thinks it is pointless to continue a product if it doesn't make a lot of money; look at all the products they've dropped or let lag over the years. As far as Apple TV, I don't watch enough TV to consider buying one and probably wouldn't as there are better and cheaper products on the market (roku, fire, chome).

FaceTime Audio and iMessage Stickers are there to sell iPhones and keep up with the competition not to make $100B. Everyone knows that. Accessibility is in their OSs as Apple prides itself on "doing the right thing".

Apple made the first affordable and useful home computer (Apple II)
    Apple made the first easy to use home computer (Mac)
    Apple made the first easy to use mp3 player (iPod)
    Apple made the first easy to use and highly functional pocket computer (iPhone)
    Apple made the first useful tablet computer (iPad)
    Apple made the first useful watch computer (Apple Watch)
    Apple made the best show about people singing in their cars (Carpool Karaoke)

Which one of these doesn't quite fit in with the others?

What should Apple's next breakthrough product be? Beats me. But producing original content for a limited audience (only those with AppleTV) is likely not it. This is not Apple's DNA.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    6502 said:
    A giant company doing one thing does not preclude it from doing other things! 
  • Reply 26 of 33
    smaffei said:
    Bring back "Agent Carter!"
    Mr. Wizard.

Bob Newhart.

Anything with Sid Caesar and Inogene Coca.

Mister Green jeans.

edited September 2017
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Here's an interesting read that 

Co-Founder of DreamWorks Sells his vision of 'New TV' To Apple which is short 10-minute TV episodes for the Web

Co-Founder of DreamWorks Sells his vision of 'New TV' To Apple which is short 10-minute TV episodes for the Web

After selling DreamWorks animation to NBCUniversal for $3.8 billion, executive Jeffrey Katzenberg's next move is to create a TV service for the mobile generation. The proposed New TV, which Katzenberg told 
    CNBC will cost about $2 billion to launch, will feature original shows. Episodes will be no longer than 10 minutes in length, but retain the high production values and quality people expect from traditional television.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2017/07/co-founder-of-dreamworks-sells-his-vision-of-new-tv-to-apple-which-is-short-10-minute-tv-episodes-for-the-web.html

Oddly, that reminds me of when I was a kid (before Television).  All the kids in the block would go to Saturday Morning Feature at the local movie theater (5
     cents admission)...  They would show cartoons and serials  like: Flash Gordon, Lone Ranger, Gene Autry (I'm Back in the Saddle Again), Ace Drummond...

Think about the concept tho, and how it could serve today's busy moment-by-moment lifestyle.  You are stuck in a commute, waiting to pick up the kids a school, killing time between activities...

New TV would serve up on-demand entertainment that meshes with the way we live!

• Reply 28 of 33
    6502 said:
    Where have you been, while Apple has been building its service into a fortune 100 company? 
  • Reply 29 of 33
    6502 said:
    sog35 said:
    6502 said:

Apple is all about creating a sticky ecosystem . Apple has built is services into a fortune 100 company. 
  • Reply 30 of 33
    6502 said:
    Soli said:
    6502 said:
    sog35 said:
    6502 said:

I didn't know you were the thought police. Btw, you have a nearly 6 line sentence, maybe you should think about breaking it up.

Apple is a HW company by every measure (# products, revenue); it has software and services to sell its HW (more or less). Even Apple thinks it is pointless to continue a product if it doesn't make a lot of money; look at all the products they've dropped or let lag over the years. As far as Apple TV, I don't watch enough TV to consider buying one and probably wouldn't as there are better and cheaper products on the market (roku, fire, chome).

FaceTime Audio and iMessage Stickers are there to sell iPhones and keep up with the competition not to make $100B. Everyone knows that. Accessibility is in their OSs as Apple prides itself on "doing the right thing".

What should Apple's next breakthrough product be? Beats me. But producing original content for a limited audience (only those with AppleTV) is likely not it. This is not Apple's DNA.
    Amazon is an online shopping company. Why should they have a video streaming service? It’s not in there dna...  Apple is just as much a devices company as it is a hardware company. iTunes, music and movies and tv shows is older than any of the other tech companies services.  Apple should have original content to compete against Netflix and amazon.  If Apple said it was coming out with original shows to go with its Apple television would people be whining? 
  • Reply 31 of 33

tshapi said:
    6502 said:
    Soli said:
    6502 said:
    sog35 said:
    6502 said:

Amazon is an online shopping company. Why should they have a video streaming service? It’s not in there dna...  Apple is just as much a devices company as it is a hardware company. iTunes, music and movies and tv shows is older than any of the other tech companies services.  Apple should have original content to compete against Netflix and amazon.  If Apple said it was coming out with original shows to go with its Apple television would people be whining? 
    Like I said previously, Amazon's business is to sell other people's stuff, physical or digital. A video streaming service fits right in with this. I don't understand "Apple is just as much a devices company as it is a hardware company" - are not devices hardware? I do not believe original content will drive Apple TV sales. It may for Netflix but you can get Netflix on any device. Even my 6 year old tv has Netflix built in and their app is available for nearly any device. Same with Amazon streaming. I'm not going to rush out and buy an Apple TV because of Carpool Karaoke.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    tshapi said:
    6502 said:
    sog35 said:
    6502 said:

Apple is all about creating a sticky ecosystem . Apple has built is services into a fortune 100 company. 
    Creating a sticky ecosystem sells iPhone. Apple's services is a fortune 100 company simply because it supports the iPhone. Android and Windows users are not using Apple's services. Take away the iPhone and Apple's services business is nothing. Apple is and will always be a hardware company.
    edited September 2017