watchOS 4.1 will bring LTE music and radio streaming to Apple Watch Series 3

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    foggyhill said:
    airnerd said:
    And will it solve the inability to get LTE on the watch?   Tim said it was a simple fix.  Still waiting.  
    I was under the impression there were issues with Series 3 holding onto Wi-Fi networks and not switching to LTE, I didn’t realize they were incapable of picking up LTE at all.  Glad I’m waiting. 

“Simple” doesn’t equal “fast”.  Growing grass is simple, it still takes time.

He's lying... The snide crap about Tim tells it all.
    Doing a clean up through your WIFI info and settings on the Phone is workaround (it is a bit annoying cause it affects your phone's WIFI connections too).
    Options for WIFI autoconnects and connection lists should be separate for the watch and the phone (or at least a toggle to go from shared settings to independent settings).

WIFI was never really set up to be a fallover service for LTE and the other way around, which causes its own issues.
    It cannot be smooth an transparent the way things are now.
    Not sure if someone's looking into that, but they should. Having a way for WIFI to advertise connectivity, quality of service, how people log on, should exist. Right now it is in the hand of people handling these things manually on each different networks they connect too.

The FemtoCells (like mini cell towers) that people can use at home/work and connect to WIFI on the back end were made to be such a bridge to make this handover easier though not many seemingly use that right now.

Oh, and I don't believe this person actually own a watch, because that comment is too extreme.
    LOL, I like "he's lying" and then you go on to talk about how what I say is wrong is true.  

I have the watch, I got it last Friday.  how is my comment extreme?  Tim said it was an easy fix and piddled away the reporter asking about it, he was childish in his response.  And yet he hasn't fixed the problem.  

Sure there is a workaround.  This is Apple, they don't rely on workarounds.  I did clear all my wifi's and it did help but it doesn't solve the entire problem.  
  • Reply 22 of 26

foggyhill said:
    airnerd said:
    And will it solve the inability to get LTE on the watch?   Tim said it was a simple fix.  Still waiting.  
    I was under the impression there were issues with Series 3 holding onto Wi-Fi networks and not switching to LTE, I didn’t realize they were incapable of picking up LTE at all.  Glad I’m waiting. 

Doing a clean up through your WIFI info and settings on the Phone is workaround (it is a bit annoying cause it affects your phone's WIFI connections too).
    Options for WIFI autoconnects and connection lists should be separate for the watch and the phone (or at least a toggle to go from shared settings to independent settings).

WIFI was never really set up to be a fallover service for LTE and the other way around, which causes its own issues.
    Not sure if someone's looking into that, but they should. Having a way for WIFI to advertise connectivity, quality of service, how people log on, should exist. Right now it is in the hand of people handling these things manually on each different networks they connect too.

The FemtoCells (like mini cell towers) that people can use at home/work and connect to WIFI on the back end were made to be such a bridge to make this handover easier though not many seemingly use that right now.

Oh, and I don't believe this person actually own a watch, because that comment is too extreme.
    This commenter has also been posting the same “I’m waiting” on several threads.  Meanwhile, the Series 3 hasn’t even been in hand for a week yet.  I could understand the “I’m waiting” if there still isn’t a fix in November but less than a week after launch is kind of ridiculous. 

@nhughes will Radio work with non-LTE and previous generation Apple Watches as well, via a connected iPhone?
    Yes, I have stated it many times because they keep talking about additional things LTE will allow to work, but not addressing the LTE connectivity issues.  It would be like putting out a car that only starts 50% of the time but talking about the cool wheels they are putting out for it.  

If they fix the issue, I'll stop asking about it.  Until then you can dislike what I say all you want, but I'm still right.  
  • Reply 23 of 26
    airnerd said:
    Does that affect you? EG, you connect to unsecured networks that lack connectivity?
    Yes it has affected me.  It affected my watch at a store I was at (no connection) because I guess my phone had connected there once.  It blocked me at my sons baseball field (both before i cleared my saved network connections and after) and prevented me from getting multiple texts and a phone call until I got back to my car and saw them on my phone.  

I have also stated LTE has worked for me in other places since I reset my wifi networks.  But the fact that it has failed me a few times means I can't trust not having my phone with me, so the only reason I bought the 3 can't be realized YET.  Tim Cook in a childish manner dismissed a reporter asking about this issue much in the same way Jobs dismissed antennagate.  The only difference is this issue is real, and he was still dismissive and made it sound like no one should care.  I do.  And I want it fixed before I care about getting my streaming music on my watch.  This has nothing to do with using unsecured networks, I'm on an unlimited plan.  The unsecured network that I apparently did join at some point on my phone now prevents me from getting the LTE connection. That's a problem.  
  • Reply 24 of 26
    airnerd said:
    foggyhill said:
    airnerd said:

LOL, I like "he's lying" and then you go on to talk about how what I say is wrong is true.  

I have the watch, I got it last Friday.  how is my comment extreme?  Tim said it was an easy fix and piddled away the reporter asking about it, he was childish in his response.  And yet he hasn't fixed the problem.  

Sure there is a workaround.  This is Apple, they don't rely on workarounds.  I did clear all my wifi's and it did help but it doesn't solve the entire problem.  
      Reread your own comment. I'm not going to into it again because you are obviously in bad faith and can't even discern wth you say.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 25 of 26
    airnerd said:

foggyhill said:
    airnerd said:

This commenter has also been posting the same “I’m waiting” on several threads.  Meanwhile, the Series 3 hasn’t even been in hand for a week yet.  I could understand the “I’m waiting” if there still isn’t a fix in November but less than a week after launch is kind of ridiculous. 

@nhughes will Radio work with non-LTE and previous generation Apple Watches as well, via a connected iPhone?
    Yes, I have stated it many times because they keep talking about additional things LTE will allow to work, but not addressing the LTE connectivity issues.  It would be like putting out a car that only starts 50% of the time but talking about the cool wheels they are putting out for it.  

If they fix the issue, I'll stop asking about it.  Until then you can dislike what I say all you want, but I'm still right.  
    In the very first comment on this topic you said, “And will it solve the inability to get LTE on the watch?   Tim said it was a simple fix.  Still waiting.”. Others have run into issues connecting to LTE but manage to get it to work.  If your Apple Watch is unable to connect at all you should maybe considering replacing it.

As I mentioned earlier, “simple” does not equal “fast”.  I dug up a bunch of arbor vitae in my backyard and put down grass seed 2 weekends ago.  Some grass has sprouted but not even close to all of it.  But I don’t go around saying “Still waiting!” to everyone I see.  I understand that things take time.  The Series 3 came out last Friday with an issue that Apple had only recently learned about.  Things take time.

I have been waiting for Apple Pay Cash in iOS 11.  It still isn’t available.  I went out an got a debit card specifically to use with Apple Pay Cash (I’ve never had one before as I couldn’t see the point in debit cards).  Am I disappointed that it wasn’t available at the time iOS 11 dropped, yep.  Am I complaining about it on every thread that’s mildly relevant, no.  Because I realize that things take time.

I get it, you got a new Watch and want to use on of its tent pole features that currently isn’t always working as intended.  That sucks.  But have a little patience, Apple will fix the issue in due time and shortly after that you’ll likely push those bad memories of no LTE to the back of your mind.
    watto_cobra