Jony Ive to discuss 'The Shape of Things to Come' at NYC Techfest on Oct. 6

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple Chief Design Officer Jony Ive is scheduled to appear at The New Yorker's Tech Fest in October, and will speak to the publication and gathered crowd about "The Shape of Things to Come."

The New Yorker TechFest is hosted by the publication's editor, David Remnick. The event features a variety of the magazine's staff in one-on-one interviews with not only tech industry drivers, but scientific personalities, and ex-government officials.

Other speakers at the event will include the former CEO of Google Ventures Bill Maris, previous EPA administrator Gina McCarthy, and the chairman of the parent company of Snapchat Michal Lynton.

No specific topics of conversation with Ive beyond "the shape of things to come" has been announced. Given the timing, Ive will probably be faced with questions about the iPhone 8, iPhone X, and likely the HomePod.

The New Yorker TechFest will be held at Cedar Lake, in New York City on Oct. 6. The event starts at 8:45 a.m. and wraps up at 6:30 p.m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Can't wait to hear his views on the classic Jeff Beck guitar solo.
    baconstangdsdSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 10
    That was the motto for "Stiff Records".
  • Reply 3 of 10
    1,500 a ticket. Yikes.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    A man with great design cue!
    RacerhomieX
  • Reply 5 of 10
    designr said:
    Thinner. Thinner is the shape of things to come.

;) 
    Except the phones, Watches and Ipad have all gotten thicker for the last few years. Better check your cliches at the door.
    RacerhomieXpatchythepirate
  • Reply 6 of 10
    No specific topics of conversation with Ive beyond "the shape of things to come" has been announced. Given the timing, Ive will probably be faced with questions about the iPhone 8, iPhone X, and likely the HomePod.

The New Yorker TechFest will be held at Cedar Lake, in New York City on Oct. 6. The event starts at 8:45 a.m. and wraps up at 6:30 p.m.
    And he'll respond with something like "I haven't been in charge of consumer product industrial design for a few years now at Apple, didn't you guys get the memo? That's all Richard Howarth. However, let me tell you about the liquid metal toilet handles in the new Apple Park that are injection molded and diamond-powder finished to a tolerance of two microns and..." /trails off
    edited September 2017 baconstangarieStrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Hilarious to read the snarky posts of techie wannabe design critics who still want beige metal boxes with slots and loud fans.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sog35 said:
    I seriously think Ive was on 'vacation' from designing Apple products the last couple years. I think he was busy working mostly on the AppleWatch and Headquarters.

Some of the recent Apple designs have been 'interesting' and I don't think Ive was responsible:

1. New mouse that charges face down

2. Apple Pencil that charges horizontally in the iPad

3. Red button on LTE watch

But the iPhone X is giving me hope that Ive is back designing Apple product again.

The X is the nicest Apple design since the iPhone 4

You can't be serious about 1, 2, and 3. 1 and 2 have already been explained ad nauseam on previous threads, and the benefit of 3 is plainly obvious.

I agree with you on the iPhone X, it's amazing. All the angst over the notch has been pretty ridiculous, even from some Apple observers that should know better (e.g. gruber). The justification for the notch is obvious: you can't get rid of the chins without it. The choice to embrace the notch is even easier to understand when you consider what the next iPad Pros are going to look like.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 10
    sog35 said:

1. New mouse that charges face down

2. Apple Pencil that charges horizontally in the iPad
    Mouse - This is a dumb complaint by a person who doesn’t have one. It takes 2 minutes to charge for a day. A full charge lasts a month and you do it when you’re done for the day. Absolute, complete, non-issue, cited only by trolls grasping at straws. Get it thru your head: YOU DONT NEED TO USE THE MOUSE WHILE ITS CHARGING. Ever. Stop being ignorant. 

Pencil - again a complaint by someone who doesn’t have one, since if you did you’d know it comes with an adapter to plug into a normal lightning cable; plugging into ipad is only a quick charge backup option. Complete non issue. You obviously don’t own these devices and are just being ignorant while pushing your narrative. 
    edited September 2017 patchythepiratefastasleep