Samsung manufacturing arms poised to make $4 billion more from iPhone X than Galaxy S8

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    Wow, Samsung is only going to make a mere $10 billion dollars on the Galaxy S8. What a pity. They are utterly wasting their time and money and need to give it up. Right? Hilarious.

Anyway, you have to recognize that it was Samsung's using those components in their Galaxy line that attracted Apple's business in the first place. No Galaxy Round, Note 4 Edge, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S8 and no giant OLED screens in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X. Instead, Apple is still using 4 inch LCD screens on iPhones with huge bezels that have single core CPUs with no real multi-tasking capabilities ... the iPhone 8 is basically the iPhone SE except that it costs $799 instead of $399. And that means that Samsung is making like $25 off every iPhone instead of $110.

So by competing with Apple - which everyone insists is so evil and horrible - Samsung makes billions off their own phones AND billions off the iPhone.

Note: this article only talks about the $202 per device that Samsung components is making off Samsung mobile. It is not talking about how much money Samsung Mobile is making on selling devices. "The Galaxy S8 retails for $749, but often has a notably lower street price." That "street price" is a lot more than $202 isn't it?
    You seem to arguing with yourself youngling.

You don't have enough posts to deserve a reply from me.
    Yet you keep replying to him...
    *eyeroll*
    I'm not replying to him.

If I was replying I would reply to what he said.

I want younlings to grow up to be decent posters here.
    Our apologies oh Ye of Great Knowledge and Wisdom. We are not worthy. 
    /s

LOL. It is this petulant behavior of @Sog35 that made him unpopular here, despite being an Apple fan (to a large extent). Hope he learns about this someday.
    come on bro.

You must know I'm not being serious.  

Can't you tell the guy who I replyed to (not Gatorguy) is an obvious troll?

It was definitely NOT obvious that you are not being serious. If you think the guy whom you replied is an obvious troll, there are 2 options.

1. Flag the comment and let moderator decide it

2. Ignore the comment

Posting stupid comments as a reply is NOT a good choice, I think. In my view, that is what makes you unpopular here, despite being an Apple fan.

unpopular? I disagree. I regularly receive PM's from people here thanking me for my viewpoints that are not sugarcoated or fanboyism. They appreciate that I tell it like it is.

I don't see how replying to a troll comment is a bad idea. 
    You do tell it like it is but you also bounce back and forth about Tim. That’s what people don’t like.

if you didn’t do that I guarantee half of the people who don’t like you would be fine with you. 
    My opinion on Tim is based on his performance.

When he makes good decisions I praise him.

When he makes bad decisions I bash him. Would it be better if I ALWAYS praised his decisions? That would be silly.

In 2016 I had serious doubts if Tim could lead this company effectively. But since then he has proven himself.  I've never asked him to be fired since then. But I still will question his decisions if necessary.  As a shareholder I am effectively Tim Cook's boss.  So criticizing him is well in my rights.
    No Soggy old son, you do not own a piece of the company, and you are not his boss. 

https://www.ft.com/content/7bd1b20a-879b-11e5-90de-f44762bf9896

And it wasn’t really a case of Cook proving himself; it was more a case of you believing everything you read in the finance pages and panicking because your three shares were losing value. 

You don’t criticise Cook when he’s doing badly, you criticise him when your portfolio goes limp. 

watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 22 of 35
    sog35 said:
    Would love to see that Samsung profit off of sales to Apple reduced to zero.
    but at what cost?

if it means less profit for Apple why do it?

taking advantage of enemies is the way to go.

If Apple refuses to buy screens from Samsung, they will simply sell it to cheap chinese brands.
    agreed.  

Apple doesn't want to 'own' it's supply chain, just 'control' it.   the old saying... owe the bank $60,000... the bank owns you... owe the bank $60B, you own the bank.  Apple effectively makes a down payment to Samsung to expand it's line, raise it's QC, and deliver gauranteed units per day, on the commitment to buy a minimum of 15M units day 1, and 10million units a month for 6 months,  but also has options to purchase at  run rates for say, 48 months of 5M units/month, driving down the price per unit.   So Apple gets the long term rate, and can 'walk away' after 6 months, and say, every 6 months after that.    This is how Tim made his mark in the company... controlling the price and quality of the supply chain.

The take on the risk of building out the infrastructure to support this load, and Apple just has to agree to a minimum batch.   For Apple, it's all short term expense (against the ASP), allowing them to focus CAPEX stuff critical to their bottom line such as assembling 30M iPhone X phones, quality testing equipment, and R&D.

And in the end, Samsung will sell to all the cheap chinese brands, but in the short term, the price will go up and/or volume/quality will go down (apple's demand being a priority).  and in the Long term, Apple will be buying into the R&D of Samsung's or whomever's next generation OLED.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    lkrupp said:
    If this article is accurate (but I think there are too many assumptions being made) it puts Samsung in a strange position. If they compete too strongly with Apple they will actually lose money. If they don’’t compete strongly enough they could actually make more money. Some people still cling to the conspiracy theory that Bill Gates kept Apple alive just enough to keep the government off his case for anti-trust action. Samsung would appear to be in a similar position in that Apple is both their biggest competitor and biggest customer at the same time.
    Interesting comment about Apple’s symbiotic relationship with Samsung. Samsung must know that Apple are pursuing micro LED displays, so Samsung now have the favorable negotiating position with regard to iPhone X’s OLED and are therefore (probably) gouging Apple.

In the end, it is business as usual for component purchasing despite both having public lawsuits against each other. The situation is similar with Qualcomm but with a lot less respect IMO.

• Reply 24 of 35
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    cali said:
    How Samsung manages to sell 50 million knockoff devices is amazing. *applause*

Since it can’t outsell real iPhones, android morons will group all 1,000+ companies into one Vs. Apple. 
    Excuse me, but every iPhone since the iPhone 5 has been a knockoff of the Samsung Galaxy. Apple doesn't even use single core SOCs, LCD screens or a physical home button anymore. The design language from the original iPhone is long gone, making the original trade dress lawsuit against Samsung even more hilarious. Apple may sell more devices, but they have long stopped leading and are now fully following when it comes to both Samsung's design and Google's software features in iOS, not to mention revising Apple TV and coming out with the HomePod to compete with hardware and services offered by Amazon, Google and yes - with Bixby - Samsung.
    Wow....just wow.  So there really are people this stupid hanging around.  Yep, poor old Apple, just following the herd...

...Apple clearly following Samsung in the implementation of easy/fast/reliable fingerprint authentication (...no)
    ...Apple clearly behind Samsung with the introduction of 3D face authentication (...no)
    ...Apple was way late to the party in brining in dual cameras with "portrait mode" bokeh effect (...no)
    ...Google clearly leading in showing demonstrations of AR available on 100's of millions of devices (...no)
    ...Apple is getting clobbered in performance of CPU/GPU by Samsung and everyone (...no)
    ...Both Samsung Bixby and Google Assistant deployed on more devices than Apple Siri (...no)
    ...Google, Amazon, and Roku both beat AppleTV in having 4K HDR, HEVC decoding, and equivalents in audio (...no)
    ...The iPhone 8 and X both look the same in design as Samsung S8 and Note 8 (...no)

Boy, you sure are some smart....

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    No wonder I have not seen any Samsung ad bashing Apple lately.......

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Same with Google.  Dropping Bing for Google for Siri search.

Timmy is finally playing chess instead of checkers.
    How the fuck is "Timmy" (love how you love to use that nickname in a condescending fashion, as if he's beneath you in some way) "finally" playing chess instead of checkers, when Apple has been using Samsung components in its phones since the very first iPhone, and Samsung has always made billions doing so? What exactly has changed in Apple's strategy so that it is akin to "checkers vs chess"? What are you even talking about? How come your posts never make a lick of sense? Why do you contradict yourself every 10 seconds?
    I wish I could use exponents when liking your comment. Like 10 to the 10th power.
    What's so hard to understand?

Instead of Timmy wasting his time on pointless Samsung lawsuits, he's using his energy to partner with Samsung to supply OLED screens. Suing Samsung was a waste of time and a huge distraction. Other companies copying your designs is actually a GOOD thing. 

Again why waste time fighting your enemies when you can partner with them?

Since Timmy and Samsung are in good terms, they can not shutout all the cheap piece of shit China brands.  None of those China brands will have access to OLED screens because they will all be reserved for Apple and Samsung phones.

Like I said Timmy is playing chess not checkers anymore.
     Anytime somebody says “Timmy” they sound like a fucking idiot.
    watto_cobrasingularity
  • Reply 26 of 35
    sog35 said:

When he makes bad decisions I bash him. Would it be better if I ALWAYS praised his decisions? That would be silly.

In 2016 I had serious doubts if Tim could lead this company effectively. But since then he has proven himself.  I've never asked him to be fired since then. But I still will question his decisions if necessary.  As a shareholder I am effectively Tim Cook's boss.  So criticizing him is well in my rights.
    You’re just pissing into the wind if you think Tim reads this board and stays awake at night tossing and turning over your comments.

Opinions are like assholes... everybody has one.  
    watto_cobrasingularityStrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 35
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    Wow, Samsung is only going to make a mere $10 billion dollars on the Galaxy S8. What a pity. They are utterly wasting their time and money and need to give it up. Right? Hilarious.

Anyway, you have to recognize that it was Samsung's using those components in their Galaxy line that attracted Apple's business in the first place. No Galaxy Round, Note 4 Edge, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S8 and no giant OLED screens in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X. Instead, Apple is still using 4 inch LCD screens on iPhones with huge bezels that have single core CPUs with no real multi-tasking capabilities ... the iPhone 8 is basically the iPhone SE except that it costs $799 instead of $399. And that means that Samsung is making like $25 off every iPhone instead of $110.

So by competing with Apple - which everyone insists is so evil and horrible - Samsung makes billions off their own phones AND billions off the iPhone.

Note: this article only talks about the $202 per device that Samsung components is making off Samsung mobile. It is not talking about how much money Samsung Mobile is making on selling devices. "The Galaxy S8 retails for $749, but often has a notably lower street price." That "street price" is a lot more than $202 isn't it?
    You seem to arguing with yourself youngling.

You don't have enough posts to deserve a reply from me.
    Yet you keep replying to him...
    *eyeroll*
    I'm not replying to him.

If I was replying I would reply to what he said.

I want younlings to grow up to be decent posters here.
    Our apologies oh Ye of Great Knowledge and Wisdom. We are not worthy. 
    /s

LOL. It is this petulant behavior of @Sog35 that made him unpopular here, despite being an Apple fan (to a large extent). Hope he learns about this someday.
    come on bro.

You must know I'm not being serious.  

Can't you tell the guy who I replyed to (not Gatorguy) is an obvious troll?

It was definitely NOT obvious that you are not being serious. If you think the guy whom you replied is an obvious troll, there are 2 options.

1. Flag the comment and let moderator decide it

2. Ignore the comment

Posting stupid comments as a reply is NOT a good choice, I think. In my view, that is what makes you unpopular here, despite being an Apple fan.

unpopular? I disagree. I regularly receive PM's from people here thanking me for my viewpoints that are not sugarcoated or fanboyism. They appreciate that I tell it like it is.

I don't see how replying to a troll comment is a bad idea. 
    You do tell it like it is but you also bounce back and forth about Tim. That’s what people don’t like.

if you didn’t do that I guarantee half of the people who don’t like you would be fine with you. 

No Soggy old son, you do not own a piece of the company, and you are not his boss. 

https://www.ft.com/content/7bd1b20a-879b-11e5-90de-f44762bf9896

And it wasn’t really a case of Cook proving himself; it was more a case of you believing everything you read in the finance pages and panicking because your three shares were losing value. 

You don’t criticise Cook when he’s doing badly, you criticise him when your portfolio goes limp. 

I do own Apple. I am Tim Cooks boss.

But go ahead and believe some article written by someone in an ivory tower. the link does not work by the way.

In 2016 Cook was an unproven commodity. All the success from 2014-2015 was from the afterglow of Steve Jobs.  2016-now is all Tim Cook.

Cook has proven his chops with the iPad 2017, Airpods, and iPhone X.  And most importantly growing the services business.

Nope. You think you’re Tim Cook’s boss because you don’t understand how shares work. And your year of ranting clearly demonstrates that you weren’t waiting for Tim Cook to prove anything, you were screaming for him to be replaced, right now, with Elon Musk,  Jeff Bezos, or anyone else who was having a good day in the press. 

And let’s not forget that you’re now a champion of Cook’s privacy stance, when last year you were wailing for Apple to sell customer data because according to you, “no one cares about privacy”. 

Mmm. Link seems to work for me. Must be a subscription content thing. 

StrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 35

sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

How the fuck is "Timmy" (love how you love to use that nickname in a condescending fashion, as if he's beneath you in some way) "finally" playing chess instead of checkers, when Apple has been using Samsung components in its phones since the very first iPhone, and Samsung has always made billions doing so? What exactly has changed in Apple's strategy so that it is akin to "checkers vs chess"? What are you even talking about? How come your posts never make a lick of sense? Why do you contradict yourself every 10 seconds?
    I wish I could use exponents when liking your comment. Like 10 to the 10th power.

Instead of Timmy wasting his time on pointless Samsung lawsuits, he's using his energy to partner with Samsung to supply OLED screens. Suing Samsung was a waste of time and a huge distraction. Other companies copying your designs is actually a GOOD thing. 

Since Timmy and Samsung are in good terms, they can not shutout all the cheap piece of shit China brands.  None of those China brands will have access to OLED screens because they will all be reserved for Apple and Samsung phones.

Indeed. 
  • Reply 29 of 35
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

Timmy is a form of Tim and Timothy. 

I see no problem with it.
    “Try convincing an idiot that he’s being an idiot.”
    singularity
  • Reply 30 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

Timmy is a form of Tim and Timothy. 

I see no problem with it.
    That you feel this way doesn't make it sound any less childish or stupid. 
  • Reply 31 of 35
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    GG1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    If this article is accurate (but I think there are too many assumptions being made) it puts Samsung in a strange position. If they compete too strongly with Apple they will actually lose money. If they don’’t compete strongly enough they could actually make more money. Some people still cling to the conspiracy theory that Bill Gates kept Apple alive just enough to keep the government off his case for anti-trust action. Samsung would appear to be in a similar position in that Apple is both their biggest competitor and biggest customer at the same time.
    Interesting comment about Apple’s symbiotic relationship with Samsung. Samsung must know that Apple are pursuing micro LED displays, so Samsung now have the favorable negotiating position with regard to iPhone X’s OLED and are therefore (probably) gouging Apple.

In the end, it is business as usual for component purchasing despite both having public lawsuits against each other. The situation is similar with Qualcomm but with a lot less respect IMO.
    I'm sure Samsung is working on Micro LED too. and I won't be surprised if they make it work and get the patents on it.   A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Samsung is going to be making some nice money for a while.     Hopefully this will spur more OLED factories because we need as much battery life as possible.   Maybe in 3 years all new phones will be OLED.   iPhone X, XI, XII, and XIII.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lkrupp said:
    That's a scarcity mindset. There's enough to go around and make money both ways. 
  • Reply 33 of 35
    iPhone X is arguably the same cost as making the Samsung S8+, Samsung sells the S8+ around $699 while Apple sells the X at $1000 so  there's over $400 in profits for both Apple and Samsung.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    vision33r said:
    iPhone X is arguably the same cost as making the Samsung S8+, Samsung sells the S8+ around $699 while Apple sells the X at $1000 so  there's over $400 in profits for both Apple and Samsung.
    What numbers are you basing that argument upon? There is nothing in the article about total cost of manufacturing iPhone X (nor S8+), let alone R&D that needs to be factored in.