Walmart accidentally leaks Google Home Mini ahead of Oct. 4 announcement

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Get ready for collective raptures from the Press after Google unveils the Pixel and other stuff today. I'm looking forward to Dan's takedown a couple of months from now!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Get ready for collective raptures from the Press after Google unveils the Pixel and other stuff today. I'm looking forward to Dan's takedown a couple of months from now!!
    I would guess he has already written most of it even before the reveal. FWIW I would not expect much love from the tech blogs and general press for the new Pixel phones. They're bland and, barring some surprise, lacking much in the way of innovation.  It will be at least a year if not more before the first fruits of the still-not-final HTC engineering team acquisition can be realized. The other products Google is bringing to market later today should be more interesting than their 2017 smartphones. 

edited October 2017
  • Reply 23 of 28
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    gatorguy said:
    I would guess he has already written most of it even before the reveal. FWIW I would not expect much love from the tech blogs and general press for the new Pixel phones. They're bland and, barring some surprise, lacking much in the way of innovation.  It will be at least a year if not more before the first fruits of the still-not-final HTC engineering team acquisition can be realized. The other products Google is bringing to market later today should be more interesting than their 2017 smartphones. 

But do they have an activated FM radio! :)

I agree with you; it will be another year for Pixel to evolve to be a real player in the market. There's little penalty for late entry in the Android OS market; not the same kind of customer loyalty to the OEM's that Apple has to iPhones and the Apple ecosystem.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 24 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    gatorguy said:
    I would guess he has already written most of it even before the reveal. 
    Nonsense FUD. DED's articles are entirely rational and based on facts that are clear if you aren't subscribing to or pushing narratives. This is why they bother the trolls so much.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    gatorguy said:
    I would guess he has already written most of it even before the reveal. 
    Nonsense FUD. DED's articles are entirely rational and based on facts that are clear if you aren't subscribing to or pushing narratives. This is why they bother the trolls so much.
    What, did you find an old can of Red Herring stuffed inside a Strawman and thought it was a good time to open it? It smells bad so you should probably toss it out.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 26 of 28
    sog35 said:
    If there is leak about Google hardware and no one cares......was there really a leak?

This is typical behavior by Amazon/Google. A race to the bottom.

Well the good thing is all those 40 year old Google fans living in their parents basement can afford to buy these cheap crap.
    Yeah typical behavior ... in a category that they created and Apple is copying by jumping into 2 years later. Amazon "raced to the bottom" by launching the Echo and Echo Dot for less money than the Apple product costs a full 30 months before Apple entered that market, and before anyone - including Apple themselves - knew that they were going to enter that market or that the market existed at all! 

Seriously, what is wrong with this mindset?
  • Reply 27 of 28
    "and hasn't achieved as much traction as the growing Echo lineup"

Amazon's ability to push their own products on the first page of their own storefront helps a lot. (That Amazon does not sell Google Home hurts a whole lot too.) As does the fact that Amazon had a 1 year head start, and has had the cheaper version of their product already on sale for much longer.

However, Google has sold 5 million devices since November 2016. For them, that is a clear success, as the only thing that comes close to that with respect to their hardware efforts is Chromecast. They sold less than a few million Chromebook Pixel devices, and way less than a million Nexus Player devices. Sales of Nexus tablets and phones and Pixel phones were also < 3 million per iteration and often < 2 million. Not much headway for the Google Wi-Fi products either. Android Wear doesn't count since Google never put their own product out and relied on third parties, but that is such a disaster that any of their Android Wear efforts would have failed too, which is probably why Google never came out with a Pixel or Nexus watch of their own. 

But we will see if Apple can move 5 million HomePods in 10 months. I have my doubts, as their Apple TV sales lag behind Roku, Fire TV and Chromecast sales. But when that happens, this blog will start declaring "it is not about sales but rather margin and profits!" as always. Just like the comments accusing Amazon and Google of "racing to the bottom" when there isn't even an Apple product to compete with yet and won't be for several months.