Apple allowed Uber use of API to record iPhone screens, feature to be removed

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    I hope Apple comes out with an official response to this soon.  The news outlets will probably tire of talking about the Las Vegas shooting and bump stocks within a few days so they'll have time for a vague scary story of Apple and Uber spying on iPhone users.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    My only question about this is if Uber was allowed unprecedented access in order to make their Apple Watch app better, why does it still suck?   They should be banned just because it doesn't appear to have any use.  All I can do is tell it where I am an request a ride.  What about where I'm going or a price?  

disclaimer:  This is not hating on Apple or the AW, it's hating on Uber.  

randominternetperson
  • Reply 23 of 25
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    nht said:
    At worst it was an oversight by Apple not to remove this access when it was no longer needed to render in the background.  Probably Uber didn't have the kind access reported by these guys or wasn't aware what else they could do with it.

Deliberately abusing a favor granted by Apple would have resulted in an immediate app ban and the end of Uber as a viable service in comparison to Lyft.
    Who else has Apple given this special API privilege to and not told us?
  • Reply 24 of 25
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    cgWerks said:
    nht said:
    At worst it was an oversight by Apple not to remove this access when it was no longer needed to render in the background.  Probably Uber didn't have the kind access reported by these guys or wasn't aware what else they could do with it.

Deliberately abusing a favor granted by Apple would have resulted in an immediate app ban and the end of Uber as a viable service in comparison to Lyft.
    Who else has Apple given this special API privilege to and not told us?
    Well evidently not the FBI because catching terrorists is not as important as building a back door for UBER.