Apple's iPad Pro to gain Face ID with TrueDepth camera in 2018 - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    cali said:
    Is he gonna be considered a genius for predicting the predictable?

You know where FaceID will be really useful? Apple Watch.

How is Apple gonna handle online Apple Pay payments with FaceID?
    Nod to pay?
    Automatic pay once you click?
    You obviously don’t have a Watch. To use Apple Pay, I click the side button twice, swipe to the card I want to use, hold it near the payment terminal, it dings almost instantly, and I’m done. What on earth do you need Face ID on the Watch for? You’re authenticated until the heart rate sensor no longer detects your wrist in the band. 

I'm not the original poster, nor do I think Face ID is necessarily the answer, but having to unlock my Apple Watch with a PIN every day is a bit of a nuisance.  In fact most days I don't unlock my Watch until I'm prompted to do so because I'm trying to do something.  Admittedly this is a first-world problem, but I would love to not have to take a few seconds every morning to veeeeerrrryyyy carefully tap my 4 number pin (and again occasionally when it thinks I've removed my Watch).  Let me unlock my Watch with my voice, or a thumb print, or something.

Me again.  Guess what?  I just solved my own problem.  Did anyone else know that the Apple Watch app includes an "Unlock with iPhone" option?  I just tested it and it works as it should.  Unlocking your phone automatically unlocks the Apple Watch on your wrist.  Yay.  Take back what I said about the stupid PIN and the need to have another way to unlock the Watch.

iqatedoRayz2016philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    mretondo said:
    Face ID only allows one face to be registered where Touch ID allows many. that is, my wife and kids. The iPad is a device commonly used by many members of the house hold. But now all users except me must know the password to use it. How is this a step forward?
    So far Face ID only allows one face to be registered.

If it's coming to the iPad then as you say it needs to handle multiple and if it can do that then makes sense to me they would also add multiple users at the same time.
    It's not like they haven't had iPad or device speciific feature inan x.4ish release before. 
  • Reply 23 of 36
    netrox said:
    Force Active LCD screens are capable of 4K screen resolution!  Hope all iPads Pros will at least be 401ppi instead of the current 264ppi.
    It makes no sense. I have iPad Pro and never once did I think, "It needs to have higher ppi." I mean, I can see pixels if I put my eyes really close to the screen but increasing the density offers diminishing benefits. Performance is very important and it has to be smooth and snappy. 

I didn't get the first generation of iPad because of low pixel density but as soon as it came out with the higher ppi, I bought it. 

I hope Apple will be able to scale up microLED for iPads because it would in theory offer much longer battery life. 

There is nothing wrong in asking for 4K true HDR display on the iPad Pro, on the contrary that makes very sense with A11 and the new Apple GPU.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Hopefully it won’t gain that stupid notch at the top. What bad design!  :s
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 25 of 36
    So... you’re saying I’ll need to remove the electrical tape over my camera?

Looks (pun intended) like I’ll be using a password for everything...

I’d rather they add 2FA.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    mretondo said:
    Face ID only allows one face to be registered where Touch ID allows many. that is, my wife and kids. The iPad is a device commonly used by many members of the house hold. But now all users except me must know the password to use it. How is this a step forward?
    I think they will have both Touch ID and face id in the near future, or will add retina id in place of Touch ID.  I think this will make the device infinitely more secure.  Besides. Kids under 13 are encouraged not to use face id. 
  • Reply 27 of 36
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    pjorlando said:
    Hopefully it won’t gain that stupid notch at the top. What bad design!  :s
    Using space you need for function (face ID, truedepth camera that will be used in AR), and not using a space a a filler (like most others would would have filled this space with nothing) is actual putting function first. So, how the hell is that a bad design. Basically you make no sense
    Are you one of those who think the camera bump is a bad design despite it being needed to actually get the best pictures (because of laws of physics), which explains why everyone has one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 36
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    If iPad Pro says at 264ppi, it worthless to me!
    You are holding it too close to your face then.
    netrox
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Eric_WVGG said:

Because people have been clamoring for Apple to make iPad a multi user device for years now and it’s never happened. Maybe they would allow multiple face identification but I wouldn’t hold my breath. 
    Apple released support for multiple users in educational environments with iOS 9.3. It's bound to trickle down to consumer installations sooner or later.
    I’m skeptical. I think they did it in education because Google and Chromebooks are really taking share.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    I wonder if this means yet another screen size, as the screen expands into the bezel. 

Or they could keep the 10.5 inch dimensions and just reduce the bezel around it 
  • Reply 31 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    cali said:
    Is he gonna be considered a genius for predicting the predictable?

You know where FaceID will be really useful? Apple Watch.

How is Apple gonna handle online Apple Pay payments with FaceID?
    Nod to pay?
    Automatic pay once you click?
    You obviously don’t have a Watch. To use Apple Pay, I click the side button twice, swipe to the card I want to use, hold it near the payment terminal, it dings almost instantly, and I’m done. What on earth do you need Face ID on the Watch for? You’re authenticated until the heart rate sensor no longer detects your wrist in the band. 

I'm not the original poster, nor do I think Face ID is necessarily the answer, but having to unlock my Apple Watch with a PIN every day is a bit of a nuisance.  In fact most days I don't unlock my Watch until I'm prompted to do so because I'm trying to do something.  Admittedly this is a first-world problem, but I would love to not have to take a few seconds every morning to veeeeerrrryyyy carefully tap my 4 number pin (and again occasionally when it thinks I've removed my Watch).  Let me unlock my Watch with my voice, or a thumb print, or something.

Me again.  Guess what?  I just solved my own problem.  Did anyone else know that the Apple Watch app includes an "Unlock with iPhone" option?  I just tested it and it works as it should.  Unlocking your phone automatically unlocks the Apple Watch on your wrist.  Yay.  Take back what I said about the stupid PIN and the need to have another way to unlock the Watch.

¯\(°_o)/¯ You know the watch asks you if you want to do this the first time you set it up too? Also, really taking 2 seconds to enter your pin once at the beginning of your day is a nuisance? Man, the entitlement these days is just wow.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    If iPad Pro says at 264ppi, it worthless to me!
    Why? So you can have Display scaling nightmares? Do you really think that 4k is going to improve the picture quality on a 10 inch screen that your eyes can discern? At least enough to justify the extra power consumption and reduced battery life?
  • Reply 33 of 36
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Given the supply issues they're supposedly having, I wonder how they're planning on supplying the iPad pro if they can't supply the X?
  • Reply 34 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MplsP said:
    Given the supply issues they're supposedly having, I wonder how they're planning on supplying the iPad pro if they can't supply the X?
    1) An iPad Pro with Face ID isn't being launched this year.

2) The iPad Pro has low unit sales for the iPad category, and the iPad category is a blip compared to the iPhone category so I think an iPad Pro with Face ID being released mid-2018 will probably be fine. If not, they may forego Face ID in the iPad Pro for another cycle.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    He reportedly released a report last week indicating that they can't make the FaceID hardware fast enough to keep up with demand until the iPhone X is well into its product cycle next year. Where will the hardware come from to support it on iPads? New factories?
    The first story was to tank the stocks of the companies in question. He has now purchased stock in them, so this story is to raise the stock.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I'd also really like to see a more compact Apple Pencil, maybe about 2/3 of the length of the current one.