iPhone X sightings on the rise in San Francisco

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    It's a stunning device.

I don’t know what to feel about the notch as I watch a decent amount of Netflix and YouTube on the go.
    How does the notch affect your Netflix and YouTube viewing in any way when your PPI, resolution, color per pixel quality, and even the total area of the windowed display for viewing images or videos with right-cornered images is considerably larger than the 4.7" iPhone of the same volume.

edited October 2017 patchythepiratepscooter63magman1979radarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 22 of 42
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    mubaili said:
    The notch certainly grows on me; it is changing from a ugly duckling to a delight white swan; it is daring, it is to make things difficult and different and surprise; it is not settling; it is challenging; it stirs up the placid app community; it let the best developers shine through. Less than 3 weeks to go. Can’t wait.
    I think it’s more along the lines, of future parent wars. It’s hard to directly copy that with out blatant ip infringement 
    adonissmuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 42
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    It's going to be interesting to see how the preorders go with the iPhone X this month. I imagine it's going to sell out way faster than the Jet Black iPhone's during last years preorder. 
    edited October 2017 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Same here, as many of others have said I'm so use seeing the notch now, where I almost kind of like it. It makes the phone/screen look kind of playful or something its hard to describe. Also Apple is the first company to get all four corners of the OLED display the entire front face of the phone and the corners follow the shape of the phone beautifully. Apple rounded the corners in such a graceful way def way more curved than the corners on the Samsung and LG phone, that had to take a lot of work/engineering. If I'm able to get one hopefully in november its going to feel like having the very first iPhone again, that feel of where out in public and your friends will all want to see and touch it, going to be in such high demand, this is the phone I/many of us have been waiting years to have our hands on, cannot wait,
    magman1979radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    I don’t know what to feel about the notch as I watch a decent amount of Netflix and YouTube on the go, however, I’m sure it will grow on me as I understand there has to be a compromise made with practicality.  Can’t wait to get my hands on it as it has everything I ever wanted in an iPhone, especially the 4K HDR OLED display, which you have to see it, to believe in it’s beauty. Not to mention the true depth camera for AR, face ID and better selfies, which I use with my spouse and kid when there is no body else around to snap us!
    I know many people abhor the lack of a straight screen edge, but I actually think this is a good design. As it is with earlier iPhones, the top 5 mm of the screen was eaten up by the clock, signal strength, battery indicator, etc. Rather than move the entire screen down below the speaker grille/hole and waste 5mm below that, the X design takes advantage of the previously wasted space on either side, preserving everything else for usable screen space. It actually makes a lot of sense when you realize that.
    Solimagman1979radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    esteban said:
    A pretty telling anecdote about where Apple sits in the collective consciousness-
    just landed moments ago, and the last instruction from the flight attendant was "be sure to check the pouch in front of you for small personal items, such as wallets, iPads, and iPhones".
    To be fair though, Samsung also has a prominent seat in the public consciousness. 

Solimagman1979tipooOferfastasleepwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Beautiful. Pretty soon Android clowns will copy the Notch ,and claim its the best.

Hey, it's natural progression - like rounded rectangles!

This is really beautiful. I'm hoping to get the Silver one. It's been ages since I bought a silver iPhone.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 42
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    The notch doesn't stop the iPhone X from being the most exciting and innovative  mobile device since the original 2007 iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 42
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    MplsP said:
    I don’t know what to feel about the notch as I watch a decent amount of Netflix and YouTube on the go, however, I’m sure it will grow on me as I understand there has to be a compromise made with practicality.  Can’t wait to get my hands on it as it has everything I ever wanted in an iPhone, especially the 4K HDR OLED display, which you have to see it, to believe in it’s beauty. Not to mention the true depth camera for AR, face ID and better selfies, which I use with my spouse and kid when there is no body else around to snap us!
    I know many people abhor the lack of a straight screen edge, but I actually think this is a good design. As it is with earlier iPhones, the top 5 mm of the screen was eaten up by the clock, signal strength, battery indicator, etc. Rather than move the entire screen down below the speaker grille/hole and waste 5mm below that, the X design takes advantage of the previously wasted space on either side, preserving everything else for usable screen space. It actually makes a lot of sense when you realize that.
    Exactly.  It’s not even really a notch.  People are thinking it’s a notch cut out of space that would otherwise be screen.  But it’s not.  It’s two ears cut out of space that would otherwise be bezel, which means it’s extra screen real estate rather than lost real estate.  
    jax44watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Don’t see what the problem with the notch is. As mentioned, Samsung has a thicker bar across the top and bottom which I think is worse as it detracts from the appearance of being truly edge to edge. If anything they should have made the camera lens cover on the silver version silver as well instead of black
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 42
    kevin kee said:
    mubaili said:
    The notch certainly grows on me; it is changing from a ugly duckling to a delight white swan; it is daring, it is to make things difficult and different and surprise; it is not settling; it is challenging; it stirs up the placid app community; it let the best developers shine through. Less than 3 weeks to go. Can’t wait.
    The notch is unique on its own way. Apple could easily went Samsung route by making the bezel thicker on the top to accomodate all those sensors, but they didn't. Instead they choose a more difficult and challenging shape. The original idea was not why, but why not.
    Original idea? The iPhone X isn't the first phone to have a bezeless front with a notch. The Essential phone beat it to market with a similar design..not to mention a few Chinese phones from earlier had a full screen bezeless design.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Rayz2016 said:
    esteban said:
    A pretty telling anecdote about where Apple sits in the collective consciousness-
    just landed moments ago, and the last instruction from the flight attendant was "be sure to check the pouch in front of you for small personal items, such as wallets, iPads, and iPhones".
    To be fair though, Samsung also has a prominent seat in the public consciousness. 

Can not ask for any better advertising than this, it all free as well, but it still cost Samsung $5B.

I just loved hearing on the plane announcements saying Samsung phones were not allowed on the plane and looking at people with Samsung phone and saying do you think that was a good purchase decision.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Same here, as many of others have said I'm so use seeing the notch now, where I almost kind of like it. It makes the phone/screen look kind of playful or something its hard to describe. Also Apple is the first company to get all four corners of the OLED display the entire front face of the phone and the corners follow the shape of the phone beautifully. Apple rounded the corners in such a graceful way def way more curved than the corners on the Samsung and LG phone, that had to take a lot of work/engineering. If I'm able to get one hopefully in november its going to feel like having the very first iPhone again, that feel of where out in public and your friends will all want to see and touch it, going to be in such high demand, this is the phone I/many of us have been waiting years to have our hands on, cannot wait,
    You’re in love...!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cjpp78 said:
    kevin kee said:
    mubaili said:
    The notch is unique on its own way. Apple could easily went Samsung route by making the bezel thicker on the top to accomodate all those sensors, but they didn't. Instead they choose a more difficult and challenging shape. The original idea was not why, but why not.
    Original idea? The iPhone X isn't the first phone to have a bezeless front with a notch. The Essential phone beat it to market with a similar design..not to mention a few Chinese phones from earlier had a full screen bezeless design.
    Not only is that a bezel, it's substantial in size for not having physical Home Button.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 42
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cjpp78 said:
    kevin kee said:
    mubaili said:
    Only if HAVING A BEZEL, means NOT HAVING A BEZEL. Hmmm.
    Yes, buddy, if there is a chin up or down, IT STILL HAS A BEZEL.
    Also, Look at a photo of that phone again. It's  DOESN"T LOOK THE SAME AS THE X. Are you blind?

In fact, there is no phone that is truly bezel less right now : none.

And with the amount of sensors Apple has now on the front, not sure when they'll have none themselves.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 42
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    bobby88 said:
    Don’t see what the problem with the notch is. As mentioned, Samsung has a thicker bar across the top and bottom which I think is worse as it detracts from the appearance of being truly edge to edge. If anything they should have made the camera lens cover on the silver version silver as well instead of black
    One thing people conveniently forget, is since the X is a smaller phone than Samsung's monsters, the notch area is in fact really small compared to them.
    If they had put the touchID on the back like Samsung, I've got no doubt they would have produced a phone with by far the slimmest overall bezel (all sides).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 42
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    I'm curious what happens next year. 

Will the price point replacement of the iPhone 8, become the iPhone X, with an X XL on top? Or will the X stay at 999 and the 8 will get another 6SSSS? And even if it gets the same chassis it's had for years, I really don't want my next iPhone to still be 750p, it's visibly blocky around edges to me. 
  • Reply 38 of 42
    snookasnoosnookasnoo Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    kevin kee said:
    mubaili said:
    Samsung has a bezel on top and on bottom.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 42
    The notches aren't going to cut into your video viewing, unless you intentionally zoom in.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 42
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    I have been thinking still that the notches should've been kept black with just the toolbar info in there, and curved the black adjacent to the usable area corners to match the bottom, but I'm sure Apple tried that, looked at it in landscape, etc and made the decision at some point that they'd rather go all-in with the notches. Maybe for the visual identity, in which case this seems to be working already. The question that follows though, is how do you differentiate yourself once the device does truly become all screen?
    watto_cobrajony0