Apple's iPhone X suppliers 'still struggling' with dot projectors for TrueDepth camera

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    melgross said:
    From what we know, it is the dot projector that's the problem. Making such a tiny thing that throws 30 thousand dots out to about 2.5 feet, in perfect alignment, must be very difficult. If it's off by just a tiny amount, by the time it gets to your face, some dots could overlap others, which is an impossible situation.

but it's not a camera. The IR camera is a totally seperate part.
    I said on AI before.  Tim Cook is adopting an immature technology.
    I don't think that is the case. The technology is mature, it has been researched, developed and tested for years (as per Tim Cook and Jony Ive). The production is another kind of problem, it has nothing to do with the technology.
    It is immature because Apple stretches its accuracy rate too much.  It is an overkill. China already applied face recognition technology to train station. It is most likely not as accurate as FaceID. But they don't seem to think this is an issue. Why will one be afraid that iPhone X can be unlocked if all the people you know does not look very like you?
    I don't even know what that means. Face recognition, the way a phone needs it too be, has to be extremely accurate. Otherwise it's not reliable.

the Chinese government wants to track all of its people, so a false positive isn't much of a problem, as they can just send agents to see if that person is who they think (s)he is. But we can't have that kind of inaccuracy for our phones. I have a friend who look a lot like me, with the Samsung and Chinese systems, he would be able to get into my phone. In fact, a photo of him would be able to open the phone, and the Chinese system too.

no thanks!
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 22 of 26
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    melgross said:
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    melgross said:
    From what we know, it is the dot projector that's the problem. Making such a tiny thing that throws 30 thousand dots out to about 2.5 feet, in perfect alignment, must be very difficult. If it's off by just a tiny amount, by the time it gets to your face, some dots could overlap others, which is an impossible situation.

I don't think that is the case. The technology is mature, it has been researched, developed and tested for years (as per Tim Cook and Jony Ive). The production is another kind of problem, it has nothing to do with the technology.
    It is immature because Apple stretches its accuracy rate too much.  It is an overkill. China already applied face recognition technology to train station. It is most likely not as accurate as FaceID. But they don't seem to think this is an issue. Why will one be afraid that iPhone X can be unlocked if all the people you know does not look very like you?
    I don't even know what that means. Face recognition, the way a phone needs it too be, has to be extremely accurate. Otherwise it's not reliable.

the Chinese government wants to track all of its people, so a false positive isn't much of a problem, as they can just send agents to see if that person is who they think (s)he is. But we can't have that kind of inaccuracy for our phones. I have a friend who look a lot like me, with the Samsung and Chinese systems, he would be able to get into my phone. In fact, a photo of him would be able to open the phone, and the Chinese system too.

no thanks!
    You misunderstand the purpose. The face recognition used in Chinese train station/subway is is for ticketing purpose. It works like Apple Pay. 
  • Reply 23 of 26
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    melgross said:

It is immature because Apple stretches its accuracy rate too much.  It is an overkill. China already applied face recognition technology to train station. It is most likely not as accurate as FaceID. But they don't seem to think this is an issue.
    China was never good at designing stuff themselves, so it is really a moot point to base your conclusions on what they think is correct or right. They mastered manufacturing, but actually designing good and useful things? Not really. And that is because it requires certain things that chinese mentality as well as chinese nation lack. That is why you do not see ANY innovation coming from that corner of the globe.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    If Apple is the source then believe it, otherwise FAKE NEWS littered our world now...
    What I find kind of sad is that Apple basically mints money and these rumors move the stock downward many times. Meanwhile cesspools like Facebook see their stock continue to rise while their core product is just selling ads and click-bait. Kind of screwy. It shows how far the stock market has drifted to nonsense trades. 
    How does the daily stock price impact Apple? They get none of your money when you buy a share of it. The stock buybacks are on a set schedule that doesn't depend on a day-to-day price but instead a set schedule filed with the SEC AFAIK.  No loss to Apple when you sell a share either. So I don't think Apple particularly cares about the daily ups and downs of stock prices nor should they. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 25 of 26
    tzeshan said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    melgross said:

It is immature because Apple stretches its accuracy rate too much.  It is an overkill. China already applied face recognition technology to train station. It is most likely not as accurate as FaceID. But they don't seem to think this is an issue.
    China was never good at designing stuff themselves, so it is really a moot point to base your conclusions on what they think is correct or right. They mastered manufacturing, but actually designing good and useful things? Not really. And that is because it requires certain things that chinese mentality as well as chinese nation lack. That is why you do not see ANY innovation coming from that corner of the globe.
    I forget to mention that Apple has face recognition technology implemented long time ago in iPhones.  FaceID is complicated and expensive and troublesome to make.  What is the probability FaceID recognize a stranger you never know?  Practically this is very small. Apple is wasting money and overkill on this implementation.  
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Correction!
    iPhoto not iPhone