Apple predicted to ditch Touch ID for Face ID with 2018 iPhone lineup

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    The customer should have the choice of touch or face ID. Samsung's Note 8 provides the customer with 3 biometric sensors, fingerprint, iris and facial. Apple always takes choices away from the customer and increases their prices because its "new" technology which is not really new. Apple is greedy. I am disappointed with Apple. 
    nApple does what's right for nApple. Traditionally, Apple placed a pretty high priority on UX.

As to the 'why', I think they are now just running like any other tech business. It's business 101, bean-counters, and marketing running the place, just like most companies. There just isn't much 'think different' left anymore.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member

designr said:
    It feels like, with Face ID, Apple is a solving a problem that doesn't really exist. Touch ID made a lot of sense to me. Face ID less so.
    50,000 vs. 1,000,000? May want to take a look at the keynote. :)
    That is pure marketing BS without any value.  The chances that anyone who has physically access to your phone, has the same fingerprint scan as you, can be neglected, unless he is your twin brother.  But in the latter case the Face ID fails as well
    cgWerks
  • Reply 63 of 64
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    designr said:
    kevin kee said:
    Have you ever cook in the kitchen by using iPhone as timer and recipe book? How many times you have to wash your hand and wipe it dry to unlock your phone in such situation. How about a surgeon who wear glove, how many times they need to remove their glove to unlock the phone? How about swimmer? How about when it's raining? How about when you are fixing a car and both your hand are dirty with dirts and oils?
    No. None. Surgeon during surgery? Really?! I wouldn't swim with my phone. Watch? Sure. Raining? Maybe. I wouldn't being having car oil and grease all over my hands and touch my phone at all.
    I've used iDevices in the kitchen while cooking. I suppose in that case, Face ID would be helpful. But, I've also unlocked my phone while it's laying on the passenger seat or in the console with Touch ID... where it would be really inconvenient (and dangerous) to try and position myself to look at it.

There are going to be a toss-up of use-cases on both sides, I'm sure. I just probably fall into the groups that wants Touch ID on mobile. Now, on my Mac, I'd prefer Face ID... except I doubt it would work since I use a 3rd party monitor and a non-Apple webcam.